*** Official Fin Thread ***

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
So I usually run Stretch fins in my boards, but recently I put together a quad set (Archy/fronts, QD2 flat/rears,) and am loving it, fast, responsive, drivey, with good release off the top. So are flat foil, faster, better for bigger surfers, or did I just stumble onto a set up that works really well on this particular board?
I think stretch rears are usually foiled 50/50. At least in the set I had. This can make for slow-going.

Flat foiled rears are so much faster. Futures finally released them in all three sizes. Took about 15 years!

Reactions: johnson7

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
50/50 rears have there place too
Nice neutral feel on turns & cutbacks
Flats are definitely faster down the line

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
I sent these very carefully made templates to Fins Unlimited several years ago to have Future base fins made . Some funky stuff happened and they were never made .
Lots of Funky has prevented their being made by others :)

You should contact the NVS guys... I've bought the MannKine G10 fins and they are very well made in my opinion. Nothing to lose by contacting them. I offer to buy the first set in futures. :)

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Anyone try these out? Looks like controller twin set. I found this pic from Allan Gibbons post.

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Those look great I might give them a try. I like the NVS fins but holy crap they are sharp. Gotta spend like 20 min with sandpaper before I feel safe surfing them.
The MannKine are not as bad. I had another set before (forget the name) that I was afraid to cut myself whenever I wiped out.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
FCS 2 Timmy Patterson Fins in stock on his site

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I was digging through some boxes and pulled out some fins that piled up over the more recent years. I used to pickup a new set to try when I would get a new board. That Solus set has been my favorite over the years. They have felt good in every board I've stuck them in. Too bad it looks like they changed the rear fin in the newer version. Any of you guys running that newer Solus set?

Also digging the 2+1 red base Machado's these days.

Attachments

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I was digging through some boxes and pulled out some fins that piled up over the more recent years. I used to pickup a new set to try when I would get a new board. That Solus set has been my favorite over the years. They have felt good in every board I've stuck them in. Too bad it looks like they changed the rear fin in the newer version. Any of you guys running that newer Solus set?

Also digging the 2+1 red base Machado's these days.
Also used to enjoy the Soluses.
I think you can still order the hatchet trailer, but it’s in a much stiffer material now. Texalium, or something. I preferred it when it was a bit flexier.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Solus and og machados have an f4 trailer. get the hatchet direct. May or may not have stock.
f4 trailer seems to be for the thruster fin on their newer solus set that's currently listed on their website. (14.22 surface area). The one I like is the one listed top right in my fin pic above that i got about 6 years back but the surface area is different (13.0 surface area). Do you know what template those og solus thruster's are using?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Your photo looks like the F4. This is the hatchet:

Right, but what i'm saying is I believe they used 3 different rear fins all together. 1 hatchet, and 2 other regular thruster fins depending on the production year. The older ones use a smaller fin area fin check out the specs of the old design here... https://groundswellsupply.com/products/futures-fins-solus-honeycomb-thruster-set-medium

The newer Solus fins seem to use a larger surface one. Compare the link above to the specs of this newer one here...

Or am I crazy, LOL. I believe they started running a f4 template later on but whatever that old template is works great for me. I might ping futures and see what they say.

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
best longboard fin for a 9'6 channel islands performer 2
just picked one up second hand fun board don't know much about longboard fins at all its a 2+1 setup
whats the best fin for nose riding vs best fin for HP surfing cutbacks etc...

May 10, 2018
I really like the Matt Biolis fin in FCS 2. I want something similar (but not exactly the same) as a backup set. Which is closest between the Accelerator, Performer or Reactor fins? Or any other suggestions?