What’s up with the butt hurt about “adults wearing flip flops”?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This comes up quite often. I’ve seen it in (non-surf related) forums, I’ve heard people talking about it and I’ve had people say things to me like, “flip flops with jeans? Really?”

WTF is wrong with wearing flip flops?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't thing there's anything wrong with it.

but

Some people have a weird thing about feet, the people I can remember who have anti-flipflop sentiments loved to comment on how disgusting my feet were (because I simply trimmed my toenails and didn't do a full on pedicure) also were very into women having impeccable feet.

All of these people were not outdoor types and came mostly from cold climates.

I always try to explain to people that around much of the planet in good climates they're the most common type of footwear.

I wear them, but generally go barefoot as much as possible. I've busted enough toes in my life on sidewalk cracks and being clumsy due to flip flops.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I rarely get that response if ever. I wear either 10” tall steel toe boots or 18” tall rubber boots what seems to be 90% of the time. So I definitely need to let my feet air out as much as possible.

I’ve even been known to do the socks with flip flops atrocity. :eek:

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I never undersood the hate either, but figured it was driven by people who don't live at/near the beach. When you spend so much time w/ bare feet, putting flip flops on seems like getting dressed up. A polo shirt feels like a tuxedo to me too.

Reactions: retodd

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
most people dont grow up on the coast where its accepted. f em

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I've never had anyone give me sh!t for wearing flip-flops and pants......Have you? What/Where's the issue...or is this "Fake News"?:unsure:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've never had anyone give me sh!t for wearing flip-flops and pants......Have you? What/Where's the issue...or is this "Fake News"?:unsure:
It usually comes from people who live in places with cooler/cold climates, particularly east of the Mississippi. New York, Boston, NJ, etc.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I was wearing flip flops yesterday while taking the trash to the cans on the side yard at a friends house.
It was dark and I have no idea why there is a step up on the walkway but I hit it in stride and went straight down hard.
In the process tore my left big toe nail all the way off. It was hard to believe how much blood. It was a lot.

I don't blame the flip flops. I will continue to wear them. I have no choice right now. :shaka:

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
flip[ flo[s are sign of good life...just like sand in the sheets, the back of your knees bring burned...waking up and smelling like some random woman's perfume....life is good.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I was wearing flip flops yesterday while taking the trash to the cans on the side yard at a friends house.
It was dark and I have no idea why there is a step up on the walkway but I hit it in stride and went straight down hard.
In the process tore my left big toe nail all the way off. It was hard to believe how much blood. It was a lot.

I don't blame the flip flops. I will continue to wear them. I have no choice right now. :shaka:
pussay pussay pussayyy!

• Love
Reactions: keenfish