Anyone listen to Internet Radio?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Decided to finally crawl under the house, drill some holes in the floor, and patched cable from the router to my Yamaha Reciever that has Interent radio and Airplay.

Why did I not do this years ago when I got it? This is RAD!

The sound quality blows Sirius away (was using their home dock) and there are thousands of Stations, with good bitrates.

I can now get SurfPlendor podcast on my stereo easily without having to use a phone/laptop/ipad. :wave2:

Been digging some New Wave stations, BBC6, lots of chill, 57 Chevy, and classical, and European channels

Dang this is one big rabbit hole.

Any other recommendations or podcasts?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
For electronic music, digitally imported has been going since I first touched a computer

https://www.di.fm

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
SlicedFeet said:
sussle said:
been around forever and still hanging in there: Radio Paradise
:jam_on:

Just added - NICE Mix!
it always has been. RP has been on for 18 years - a lifetime in internet years -and managed to survive all the digital-music biz/internet/social media/upheaval therein and still put out an awesome, commercial-free, always interesting playlist. my go-to for discovering new music. if i haven't heard it before, it's new to me :cheers:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
GromsDad said:
The sound quality of Sirius XM for music has sucked in every vehicle I've had it it. They must really compress the audio file when they stream it.
I’ve had Sirius from when it launched so never really looked anywhere else. Their bandwidth is really constricted, so they compress the sh!t out of music. For the Dead Channel, it really doesnt matter, we’re used to that sound from all the audience tapes we used to listen to...but for the other channels it sorta sucks, and has gotten worse I think. The only channel that they don’t compress to oblivion are the symphony channels. Makes sense.

This interent radio could be the deal breaker for me. I was always limited on phone data usage because I was cheap but now have unlimited.

I still dig First Wave, Ungerground Garage and BBKing Blues channels on Sirius.

The ephipahny for me is with my Yamaha receiver, I hit the “Net” button and can scroll through all my bookmarked stations that I can add from my phone or anywhere from vTunes website. Way better than going through a browzer bookmark and individual websites. Bummer vTunes doesnt have an iphone app but just found something similar.

Thanks Shiver, KEXP is right up my alley too. Jazz 88.3 has always been a fav.

NTS radio has interesting stuff.

Qobuz seems to be an interesting platform but I’m not ready to pay a monthly fee for it.

I am always late to the party, oh well.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
So, can you explain what this is for a novice...? How do I play it on my Radio? Car? Listening to this DI.FM (Dubstep) on my computer right now...killer!

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
tsenn said:
So, can you explain what this is for a novice...? How do I play it on my Radio? Car? Listening to this DI.FM (Dubstep) on my computer right now...killer!
Lol, It’s quite new to me too. If someone would givin me a demo years ago, I would have done it from the getgo. I’m a neewbie but here’s my take.

If you have a stereo receiver with an input plug so you can hook it up to your router with a cat5e internet patch cable, do it. It looks like alot of the new AV receivers have wireless option too. Next your going to want to download your receivers user guide and look for Net Radio and the service they are using. It will give you a website to go to enter your mac address. Yamaha explained it pretty well. If your TV is already hooked up to your receiver it is super easy. The net radio and stations will be listed on your tv, BTW there are 1000’s all over the world. Start adding your favorites. Bitchin. No TV, I guess you can do it on the website. All free too.

On your phone, dowload an internet radio app, find your stations, then in your car hook up your phone to your radio if you can through airplay or an earphone jack, usb, and your good to go I guess.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
tsenn said:
If you want to go straight from your phone to your stereo, you need to get a cable that has two rca ends, one white and one red, and an earphone looking jack,(3.55mm). The rca ends go into an input in the back of your stereo, so get a longer cable, or some stereos have red and white rca inputs on the front.

I’ve used this method for years for playing music from my phone, etc, through my stereo. Then you can get fancy and hook up appletv or a bluetooth adapter to your stereo and you can play your music wirelessly through your stereo.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Just found KROQ Roq of the 80’s - way better than Sirius first wave.

Now just need a 70’s to 80’s punk and dark wave station and I’m set.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I bought a Yamaha "Aventage" receiver last year - the cheapest "Aventage" - that model has the better chassis - Yamaha's return to putting the amp part as the first priority. Intenet radio - I've been playing a German station that's good - lots of good ideas in this post that I'll try. Anyone know the Internet radio data rate?

I've been using a Spotify subscription - it has a good data rate in the paid version. It finds music for me according to what I've been playing - not perfect but it does get me listening to bands I didn't know existed.

Sirius always sounded like it was coming from a tunnel but I just got a new 2018 Chrysler Pacifica with the 20 speaker option because 13 speakers is never enough and Sirius sounds great. And Apple Carplay - my god the phone is integrated with the car - it really works!! I can voice text and Google Maps works with it with the map shown on the car display and the line by line directions shown on the Iphone so you can see where its sending you. Using Google Maps on regular commute now - it's saved me 15 min 3 times in 2 months on a commute I thought I was the expert at after 26 years.