for Front footed Surfers

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
casa_mugrienta said:
bird. said:
casa_mugrienta said:
I don't get this logic. Everyone is both footed. Where you get your speed is going to be highly dependent on the type of wave and what the wave is doing at that moment. Period. There's no other way around it.
You sound like a front footer.
:applause2:
sum boars require more hind leg pressure to keep them going in between turnz. others want u to teeter totter between fore n hind pressure for driving n turning.

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
Hate to hijack the thread

But did the spine tec add anything to the OG flyer for you? is it still the same PU or epoxy, more float? less float?

I think I'm going to buy an go flyer and not sure about going spine tec or not.

Thanks

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The Spine-tek was epoxy. The board was 27.2L and I usually ride 28L and it floated me fine. The shop's manager I borrowed the board from was liking the construction. He's a really good surfer and said he thought it felt really good and better than his past Flyers in PU and a Flexbar one he had.

I was on the struggle bus with the board so I couldn't give any comments about what the tech may have added.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
ChaseTMP said:
One of my good friends, Matt Calvani (Becker, now Bing) has made me around 60 boards and there was only a couple that didn't work for me over 20 years. With Bing, he definitely is more in the retro camp and that's why I've started getting boards OTR as I'm still trying to keep up with the groms even though I'm almost 47. I think since Matt and I used to surf together a lot (before he relocated to Leucadia/Encinitas) he had a good feel for what worked for me. I'm finally getting around to Matt making me a board, a pin tail twin based on Josh Kerr's winning board from the Maldives contest..
:monkey:

I thought that might be you. It’s Bob. You might remember me as the same Bob who has gone on a few trips with you down to Cabo scoring Zippers, The Estuary and some other place on the east cape whose name I can’t remember. Speaking of not remembering, we have drunk a ton of booze before. I think I’m usually the culprit there.

The other big one was surfing the Mentawais together back in 2001. It turned out to be a booze cruze for me but you guys scored. Turns out upon reflecting my first “attack” occurd on that trip. The heat and humidity always seems to set it off for us types. I had a blast though.

Stocked to hear your getting boards from Matt again.

We need to surf again, this winter it is on.

I still think you should go a tad longer. :hat:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I don't have a wide stance like the air guys. I started making my boards w the widepoint back an inch from center.

My front foot is around the center point of the board on my normal small wave board.

Happy bday, jkb

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
My thoughts on front foot vs rear foot pressured turns in this post

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2800074#Post2800074

also some correspondence with Greg further down the thread

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I have trouble sometimes pushing my feet back over the top of the fins to gain speed. Having learned on single fins in the 70s and then twinnies and quads, it sometimes feels unnatural to move back when the nut says to move your weight forward to trim. That might be why thrusters just don't work for me. The exception has been some hybrids. The CI Pod and more recently a Lost QK.

Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
ghostshaper said:
I don't have a wide stance like the air guys. I started making my boards w the widepoint back an inch from center.

My front foot is around the center point of the board on my normal small wave board.

Happy bday, jkb
Thanks man :shaka:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
If you love fish are you likely front or back footed?

Only I’m the last few years did I start driving off the fins generating speed. I was like oh that’s what the fins are for. That was on a Stretch quadfish.

Bonzer russ short doesn’t like back foot over fins in my experience. Mlv does.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
rts265 said:
If you love fish are you likely front or back footed?
Hmm. I imagine it depends how you surf a fish. I know some surf modern versions can be surfed as aggressively as a HP shortboard, but I tend to cruise more on a keel fish, weighting/unweighting for speed down the line, s-turning and enjoying the glide. As Aldo1 described above, I think riding these & single fins so much has led to me creeping up on the board, and not always getting back to the tail when I go to do start a harder turn.

Sep 2, 2008
most likely front footed for most fish. They often have the gas pedal under the front foot but some have it in both front and back like a lot of shortboards. A notable exception is the Hynson Black Knight Quad and presumably the Von Sol quad fish. The BKQ only had a rear foot gas pedal in my experience. Contrary to what has been written, my experience with my White Diamond was it was very rear footed. I never was able to pump front footed on that board but it took off under rear foot. Most of my boards today work with either but the one board I can think of that worked really well front footed was my old CI Flyer F.

Reactions: Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Just wanted to share my opinion on the Haydenshapes' Untitled for front footies. I used it for two sessions (two day rental from Awayco). I usually ride around 28L and this was 26.84L (5'7" x 19 1/4" x 2 5/16") in Futureflex (epoxy). I wouldn't have wanted any more volume. The board felt just right.

Yesterday, I rode it in waist to chest slightly bumpy beachbreak with some fairly hollow sections and it was pretty meh. The board didn't really have any zing and I felt I was pretty off my game. I couldn't seem to get to sections as quickly as I would have on my normal Chilli Nevada (non HP).

Lo and behold this morning we had really fun waist to head high really hollow windswell. The board was extremely fast on both my forehand and backside and was pretty controllable in the lip and into/out of reverses. The few time I really tried to push hard on my forehand bottom turns, I felt it losing some grip and had to back off since it felt is was close to spinning out. I haven't ridden Futures in years and was running HS2 Generation tri set.

I think I'd be happy renting the board if I was on a trip somewhere, but pretty sure I won't be purchasing one, since it seemed like it was only above average in above average waves.

Side note, Greg Browning's son Parker was out this morning and was in Waco at the wavepool recently with his dad. Parker has a pretty solid air game, but he was nailing pretty much everything this morning, with lots of barrel to air combos. Looked like Waco is a very good practice center.

Jun 3, 2015
Does front footed or back footed have something to do with which one is your stronger leg? It seems many surfers whose right leg is their strong leg are regular footers. My left leg is the strong one but Im a regular footer as well.