Status
Not open for further replies.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Surfdog said:
What do most gov. employees do that makes their jobs so "tough" that they need a union to protect them?
The gov't. is held to higher ethical standards than private concerns, or hadn't you noticed?

You talk about money but that is controlled by elected officials, not gov't. employees. Public unions generally do not have the same remedies at their disposal as private ones do, e.g., Reagan vs. air traffic controllers.

Gov't. workers generally have to accept lower pay than their private counterparts. They have to content themselves with the 'honor' of serving a grateful public and, often, a more generous benefit package.
yEllEn
bErnankE
grEEnspan
1-2-3 (in no particular order) to get the guillotine

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
ifallalot said:
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Surfdog said:
What do most gov. employees do that makes their jobs so "tough" that they need a union to protect them?
The gov't. is held to higher ethical standards than private concerns, or hadn't you noticed?

You talk about money but that is controlled by elected officials, not gov't. employees. Public unions generally do not have the same remedies at their disposal as private ones do, e.g., Reagan vs. air traffic controllers.

Gov't. workers generally have to accept lower pay than their private counterparts. They have to content themselves with the 'honor' of serving a grateful public and, often, a more generous benefit package.
yEllEn
bErnankE
grEEnspan
I suspect MJOJunkie meant that the Federal Reserve Board Chairman is a gov't. employee. If that's what he meant, he is wrong. The Chairman serves at the pleasure of the President. It is a political appointment which has no union representation. It's been that way since George Washington was President.

Whereas appointments are based on the spoils system, gov't. employment is based on the merit system.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
No meme necessary…

[img:center]http://i62.tinypic.com/elmzd.jpg[/img]

:laughingpointing: :laughingpointing: :laughingpointing: :laughingpointing: :laughingpointing:

Pissbiscuit

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2008
test_article said:
ifallalot said:
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Surfdog said:

yEllEn
bErnankE
grEEnspan
I suspect MJOJunkie meant that the Federal Reserve Board Chairman is a gov't. employee. If that's what he meant, he is wrong. The Chairman serves at the pleasure of the President. It is a political appointment which has no union representation. It's been that way since George Washington was President.

Whereas appointments are based on the spoils system, gov't. employment is based on the merit system.
What?

How is that not a government employee?
How do you figure it's been that way since George Washinton? Pretty sure there wasn't a Federal Reserve in the 1790s?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Pissbiscuit said:
test_article said:
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Surfdog said:

yEllEn
bErnankE
grEEnspan

What?

How is that not a government employee?
How do you figure it's been that way since George Washinton? Pretty sure there wasn't a Federal Reserve in the 1790s?
Back then it was called the First Bank of the United States, headed by a set of commissioners who were appointed by President Washington.

Employees vs. appointees as far as union representation goes...?

Pissbiscuit

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2008
test_article said:
Employees vs. appointees as far as union representation goes...?
Okay yes, within the confines of unions, I'm with you, but in general, I thought the Fed Chair was considered public sector.

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
test_article said:
ifallalot said:
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Surfdog said:

yEllEn
bErnankE
grEEnspan

You are incorrect as usual.

If you have followed my few (but detailed and long winded) writings here on all things econ, you would know .

You strike me as an academic derelict like the EE's in question.

Those individuals never had a job outside of academia or running a lemonade stand prior to their being "appointed" to non-government jobs (ROFLMAO).
However, after leaving their non-government jobs for some reason they become ridiculously overpaid non-government employees.

Do you see where I am going here?

The literature and info available on the pinheads that inhabit the Eccles Building states that they are a non political and/or independent and/or a privately run Institution aka US Federal Reserve aka the Central Bank.

You seems intelligent enough to know the real truth, however I submit that it appears you either :

1) Do not know the truth
2) Do not want to know the truth
3) Know the truth but are obfuscating the truth
4) Don't know the truth/ are so ignorant and blinded by your own biases you will never know the truth
5) So deceived and/or blinded by what you think is your own intelligence that you are basically a derelict

So, which is it?

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
test_article said:
Maybe you could start by telling me what EE means to you.

Hey man I thought it thru and want to mention that I think my rant was harsh.

Life is all about stimulus and response. Like it or not we need to OWN our personal responses.

The EE thing means pretty much nothing. The last 3 fed chiefs happen to have EE in their last names. I saw a written joke yesterday regarding that EE thing. Posted it word for word. Basically meaningless and stupid. I have no idea if there is a deeper meaning.

I think we need a Volker type personality in both political and financial leadership to change the trend to a more sustainable path. I do not believe it will happen but that is my own perception issue.

I think the crux of our argument (you and I) was you were calling me out with the fact that the Fed is an independent institution. Not political or government run.
Does not matter what political side either one of us is on. That is the official mandate of the FOMC.

I think it is difficult to make the case this is true any longer.

Does not matter which political party the Fed chief or members are. Their duty and responsibility is to do their best to make decisions for a sustainable and stable future for our kids.
Not short term crap for the party in power.

Short term pain pretty much always creates a stronger and more stable long term future.

This country needs short term pain. The current ideas and policies are geared towards propping up houses of cards.
We're basically screwed.

So, with that I'll leave you with this...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
MJOJunkie said:
test_article said:
Maybe you could start by telling me what EE means to you.

Hey man I thought it thru and want to mention that I think my rant was harsh.

Life is all about stimulus and response. Like it or not we need to OWN our personal responses.

The EE thing means pretty much nothing. The last 3 fed chiefs happen to have EE in their last names. I saw a written joke yesterday regarding that EE thing. Posted it word for word. Basically meaningless and stupid. I have no idea if there is a deeper meaning.

I think we need a Volker type personality in both political and financial leadership to change the trend to a more sustainable path. I do not believe it will happen but that is my own perception issue.

I think the crux of our argument (you and I) was you were calling me out with the fact that the Fed is an independent institution. Not political or government run.
Does not matter what political side either one of us is on. That is the official mandate of the FOMC.

I think it is difficult to make the case this is true any longer.

Does not matter which political party the Fed chief or members are. Their duty and responsibility is to do their best to make decisions for a sustainable and stable future for our kids.
Not short term crap for the party in power.

Short term pain pretty much always creates a stronger and more stable long term future.

This country needs short term pain. The current ideas and policies are geared towards propping up houses of cards.
We're basically screwed.

So, with that I'll leave you with this...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
Yeah, people tend to admire Volcker for his willingness to make us all suffer a little (some of us more than a little) but ultimately achieving the stated goal, even if he had to manipulate interest rates to do it. It caused a good bit of unemployment for awhile. It collapsed a couple of industries or three. Yet, I suspect any of your EE chiefs would do similarly in the situation he faced. Volcker never had to face anything like our recent conditions, for which current Fed remedies we are all suffering a little (some of us more than a little).

I can't think of any kind of work other than academic that would prepare someone for the task of manipulating economies. :shrug: Maybe all work is dereliction.

Here's another banality: All things must pass.

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
Including these mortal skins we find ourselves in.

I like your cogent response.

Something to think about:
http://www.icis.com/blogs/chemicals-and-the-economy/2015/09/us-income-stagnate-since-2001-boomers-turn-55/

Something a little better to think about:
Everything is broken
Everything is broken
Everything is breaking down, breaking down

Everything is bleeding
Everything is bleeding

A pledge allegiance to a country without borders, without politicians
Watching for my sky to get torn apart
We are broken, we are bitter
We're the problem, we're the politicians
Watching for our sky to get torn apart
C'mon and break me
Song:
https://youtu.be/udT0otSOWQs

Peas~

PS: let us restart the meme meme, shall we? :shaka:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
MJOJunkie said:

http://www.icis.com/blogs/chemicals-and-the-economy/2015/09/us-income-stagnate-since-2001-boomers-turn-55/

Everything is broken
Everything is broken

Everything is bleeding
Everything is bleeding

C'mon and break me
Song:

Peas~

spend our money on your campaign
make a lot of promises you can't contain
cheat and lie your way the top
do anything to win, you'll never stop

politics - who needs it
poitics - full of sh!t
politicians - always lie
politicians - wish they die

care for the people but for who ?
take side of the rich and step on the poor
don't care about those in the street
those that are starving with nothing to eat

our country in a depression, but who cares
cause it's people like you who put us here
when it's time for an election you put on your act
tell all your fvckin'' lies and ignore the facts

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
frvcvs said:
MJOJunkie said:

Everything is broken
Everything is broken

Everything is bleeding
Everything is bleeding

C'mon and break me
Song:

Peas~

spend our money on your campaign
make a lot of promises you can't contain
cheat and lie your way the top
do anything to win, you'll never stop

politics - who needs it
poitics - full of sh!t
politicians - always lie
politicians - wish they die

care for the people but for who ?
take side of the rich and step on the poor
don't care about those in the street
those that are starving with nothing to eat

our country in a depression, but who cares
cause it's people like you who put us here
when it's time for an election you put on your act
tell all your fvckin'' lies and ignore the facts
Dude, could only listen to 24 seconds of that mayhem.
I'm the more mellow yellow type.
To think you and I were mortal enemies in a former life?

Please begin once again posting memes of republicans doing stupid things.

:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.