Pyzel White Tiger

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
bottom left
that's a nice part of the country to reside. Doesn't get as much swell blockage from Ireland as further north into N Devon and Wales. Winter not as severe as the rest of the country. A lot more consistent than the east coast. Prevailing wind is onshore, I like choppy beachbreak waves (in those places that can handle it).

This is quite an interesting thread from a design point of view in the light of Mr Pyzel's comments regarding concave on the Bando thread. I caught up on this thread this weekend.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
that's a nice part of the country to reside. Doesn't get as much swell blockage from Ireland as further north into N Devon and Wales. Winter not as severe as the rest of the country. A lot more consistent than the east coast. Prevailing wind is onshore, I like choppy beachbreak waves (in those places that can handle it).

This is quite an interesting thread from a design point of view in the light of Mr Pyzel's comments regarding concave on the Bando thread. I caught up on this thread this weekend.
if you like surfing gale force onshore as your staple diet its absolutely the place to be.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Onshore is the new offshore I read somewhere but I’m not sure if that was propaganda started by ‘Big Board’ to sell us all a quiver of wide tailed grovel boards.

He’s rides a ghost pro at 5’8 x18 1/2 wide and a highline at 5’9” x 18 /2 both in the low/mid 25s in volume, bit of a dream quiver:jamon:!
We went up on the tiger in volume to be a backup for some comps in the summer he had coming up that historically run in knee high waves.

Last edited:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Just ordered a White Tiger for the summer. I don't have any futures quad rears, so got to make some fin quiver additions. Anyone got suggestions on what they'd pair with large JJF fronts?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
For small waves, I like these pivot-style Hayden rears with a neutral front fin up front (like the JJF). Between the material and template, it’s a nice combo of speed and looseness.

Reactions: bird.LA

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just ordered a White Tiger for the summer. I don't have any futures quad rears, so got to make some fin quiver additions. Anyone got suggestions on what they'd pair with large JJF fronts?
They've got some Pyzel quad rears on the Pyzel site. They are discounted even. I *think* they are flat foil. I would probably go Medium rears personally but it looks like they have both sizes.

I have paired the AM2 techflex rears with JJF L fronts to good effect but I don't know if you can find those without buying the whole set.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
They've got some Pyzel quad rears on the Pyzel site. They are discounted even. I *think* they are flat foil. I would probably go Medium rears personally but it looks like they have both sizes.

I have paired the AM2 techflex rears with JJF L fronts to good effect but I don't know if you can find those without buying the whole set.
Looks like flat foil
IMG_3414.jpeg

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Actually, looking at the size charts, the Pyzel quad rears are fairly small so the L size might be a better match with the JJF L fronts.

The JJF and Pyzel thruster fin templates are a little different but they are very similar in total area and balance.

Reactions: bird.LA

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What’s the benefit of flat foils?
More drive and projection.

My loose rule of thumb is flat foil for quad rears that are placed closer to the rails.

80/20's for rears that are a little more inward or when I want a little more control/smoothness.

I don't like 50/50 rears.

Here is the placement we are dealing with. Looks pretty close to the rail to me.

1714927095456.png

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

My loose rule of thumb is flat foil for quad rears that are placed closer to the rails.

80/20's for rears that are a little more inward or when I want a little more control/smoothness.

Here is the placement we are dealing with. Looks pretty close to the rail to me.

View attachment 179621
The stretch 50/50 rears coupled with the inside foil fronts are the exception.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

View attachment 179621
Thanks. Good rule of thumb to know. I’ve been going off Futures marketing jargon alone, and that’s about it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The stretch 50/50 rears coupled with the inside foil fronts are the exception.
I didn't care for them but maybe that was due to the boards I tried them in not having the right placement. I can't recall if I tried them in the Quad Fish I had. Stretch definitely has that more inward quad rear placement.
1714927601057.png

Reactions: Makoman

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What’s the benefit of flat foils?
More speed with a flat foil. The water flows straight over the flat foil giving you more speed, but you loose a little control because there is no break in the water flow. It just flows cleanly off the fin.

A 50/50 template (or 80/20) is foiled on both sides, so it functions more like a thruster fin - in that it breaks up the water flow on both sides of the fin - giving you more control but a little less speed than a flat foil.