Spot the lie

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
He seems to believe that higher taxes and government programs are the keys to prosperity when in reality those things are at the root of the problem.

Also, people under 30 are “struggling” largely because of bad life choices and an unwillingness to work hard and pay their dues like we did.

When I was in my twenties I thought I’d never be able to afford a house. Same with everyone else I knew. Things only got more expensive yet here I am, sitting in my house that is entirely paid off.

I know a lot of young people with car payments.

If these guys would put those car payments into a conservative investment account they’d have well over a million by the time they’re in their 40s.

All the fucking time, dudes driving way nicer cars than I do ask me how I can afford to buy a house.

As for your TEDtard, he ain’t lying. He believes what he says.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
O
He seems to believe that higher taxes and government programs are the keys to prosperity when in reality those things are at the root of the problem.

Also, people under 30 are “struggling” largely because of bad life choices and an unwillingness to work hard and pay their dues like we did.

When I was in my twenties I thought I’d never be able to afford a house. Same with everyone else I knew. Things only got more expensive yet here I am, sitting in my house that is entirely paid off.

If these guys would put those car payments into a conservative investment account they’d have well over a million by the time they’re in their 40s.

All the fucking time, dudes driving way nicer cars than I do ask me how I can afford to buy a house.

OK boomer. You got yours fook everyone else!

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

If people under 30 are struggling because of their "bad life choices" why did productivity steadily rise but wages haven't?

You always come up with the dumbest take on things and you love anecdotal evidence.

Baiting with stupidity?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

I dunno, man. When I was in my 20s I spent every nickel I had on weed and blow and beer and surfboards. Got it together in my 30s, and now my house is paid off, too.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
agree with everything here except now when you get your first job making say 30-40k you cant live off it.

at 24 my first real job i made like 30k but i was able to afford a lease on a new honda civic and 1 bedroom apartment in Hollywood as well as have a life/go out etc. the postiton i had (office PA) is probs still a 30k a year gig.

now 30k a year gets you a metro card and 6 roomates in the valley all the while amassing debt,.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

I doubt the car thing is it, but it is an it.

Anecdotally i dont think i knew anyone who had a car payment before they had like a 'real job' and even then most people i encountered drove random used cars.

Car payments and the accessibility of auto loans is one example of a perpetual subscription lifestyle that permeated (advertised it's way) in to peoples heads
- cars
- phones
- gyms
- luxuries financed via cc debt
- rent (yes property managers take CC)

kind of a vicious cycle.

just like education gets more expensive so does the rest, financed by easy gov money and proliferation of loan products for nearly anything. Plus, we love images of people using sh!t, so we all can't resist.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I doubt the car thing is it, but it is an it.

Anecdotally i dont think i knew anyone who had a car payment before they had like a 'real job' and even then most people i encountered drove random used cars.

Car payments and the accessibility of auto loans is one example of a perpetual subscription lifestyle that permeated (advertised it's way) in to peoples heads
- cars
- phones
- gyms
- luxuries financed via cc debt
- rent (yes property managers take CC)

kind of a vicious cycle.

just like education gets more expensive so does the rest, financed by easy gov money and proliferation of loan products for nearly anything. Plus, we love images of people using sh!t, so we all can't resist.
Netflix
cable
weed
eating out
vacations
high expectations

• Dislike
Reactions: mundus

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
agree with everything here except now when you get your first job making say 30-40k you cant live off it.

at 24 my first real job i made like 30k but i was able to afford a lease on a new honda civic and 1 bedroom apartment in Hollywood as well as have a life/go out etc. the postiton i had (office PA) is probs still a 30k a year gig.

now 30k a year gets you a metro card and 6 roomates in the valley all the while amassing debt,.
My first real job I cleared $12k a year. Lived in my car for the first 3 months because I couldn’t find an affordable place. Realized that your standard apartment was going to be out of reach. Rented a 21 foot sailboat that sat in the harbor. Lived on that for a couple months. Found a guy with a school bus converted into an RV sitting in his driveway that he wasn’t going to use for a few months and lived in that.

Then shortly before my 18th birthday, I found a room in a house with it’s own bathroom for $350/month. There would be times when I’d run out of money before my paycheck came in. I’d eat whatever I had, some days didn’t eat at all. Lived mainly off Ben’s, rice, pasta and 7-11 burritos that I’d thaw out in the oven - no microwave. I also caught fish when I had time.

Room mate had a government subsidized phone plan (rotary phone) in case I needed to call someone.

I could have moved to a cheaper city but chose not to.

I had one surfboard given to me by Bruce Fowler and one wetsuit sewn together with dental floss. I had an uninsured Toyota pickup I bought at a city auction for $400.

I was happy.

Got promoted at my job but still lived the same way as much as I could. Didn’t like the new position at all, quit and went to work for my girlfriend’s dad. He was the sole proprietor of a one man business. He’d been asking me for awhile if I wanted to work for him.

The day I quit my secure job with health insurance, a retirement plan and all that good stuff (except for the relatively low pay) I called up my GF’s dad and said, “you still have work for me?”

He said, “got three jobs next week.”

Walked up to the office manager and quit.

I took a risk. It was the first real big financial risk I ever took. It was the first in long succession of risks that got me where I am today, which is relatively comfortable.

Long story short, you can live off $40k.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
OK boomer.
Ok renter.

You got yours

Correct. I got mine. I went and got it. It wasn’t easy. None of it was easy.
fook everyone else!
Quite the opposite. When people ask how I did it I’m happy to tell them. When people need help to achieve their goals I will help them in any way I can, like the people who helped me along the way. I work to lift people up. When I see people “above” me I don’t hate on them, I try to learn from them.

I have a full time employee that probably couldn’t really do anything else. He’s paid well, supplied with a vehicle, health insurance. He works autonomously. He knows what needs to be done and gets it done. I hired him because he’s willing to work, loyal and a veteran. He owns a condo and takes care of his aging mom.

That girlfriend’s dad I mentioned above? He’s my father-in-law now and my wife and I fully support him and his wife.

You don’t know jack sh!t about me.