Sharpeye Surfboards

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Gonna place my order this weekend for an Inferno 72. How are you guys sizing them? I was considering their stock 6’0 x 20.25 x 2.8 34.7L but it seems pretty thick. I am leaning towards 6’0 x 20 x ?

My Dims are 5’9 x 175# x 50 yo. Surf mostly beach breaks in NCSD.
~35 liters seems boaty for your size, maybe 2.65?

all the Sharpeyes I've felt in person have seemed thinner than their stated thickness

Last edited:

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Gonna place my order this weekend for an Inferno 72. How are you guys sizing them? I was considering their stock 6’0 x 20.25 x 2.8 34.7L but it seems pretty thick. I am leaning towards 6’0 x 20 x ?

My Dims are 5’9 x 175# x 50 yo. Surf mostly beach breaks in NCSD.
I have a 5'10" x 19" x 2.5 in DA, and I love it. I'm 165lbs and 5'7". I surf NCSD too.

When I called about a custom order, the guy on the phone basically called me a kook without calling me a kook for liking those dims, and made sure I knew there was no such thing as a "daily driver", only an "every day board". Bizarre convo... Asked me if I could do airs as a qualifier.

All this to say, I don't know how much good guidance you'll get from Marcio's guys.

Don't be afraid of stock width, and most of that thickness is right along the stringer. YMMV!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I have a 5'10" x 19" x 2.5 in DA, and I love it. I'm 165lbs and 5'7". I surf NCSD too.

When I called about a custom order, the guy on the phone basically called me a kook without calling me a kook for liking those dims, and made sure I knew there was no such thing as a "daily driver", only an "every day board". Bizarre convo... Asked me if I could do airs as a qualifier.

All this to say, I don't know how much good guidance you'll get from Marcio's guys.

Don't be afraid of stock width, and most of that thickness is right along the stringer. YMMV!
bummer

@OsideBum I'm guessing you're in Oside, but last time I was in there, Clairemont Surf Shop had a new 6'1 Inferno 72 in Dark Arts on sale for $900 iirc. Probably marked down since Sharpeye has their own carbon build now.

Reactions: OsideBum

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Inferno FT Quad $495.00 at Surfride.

Felt good but once I took a photo the outline it looked funky to me. The bottom half looks kinda wide. Might be magic for someone. 5'7 and about 26L i think.

IMG_7766.JPEG

IMG_7765.JPEG

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Anybody have a ride report on the Inferno FT?
I posted a short report a while ago but can't find it anymore....very nice board, but despite the rather wide tail and the quad setup it was more of a hpsb for me, preferred it in chest - head high, bowly waves. Check out the Stab review on Youtube, I surf much worse than that hobbit but concur with all he says about the board

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

A few years ago you likely would have communicated directly with Marcio.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Controversial opinion here is that even the I72 is pretty high-performance. If you need that kind of volume, I'd steer you towards a happy every day that will distribute that volume a little bit better than a sharpeye with their narrow tails and noses compared to other brands. Even when I try and hit 30.5 - 31L in a 6'0 sharpeye they feel a little weird and thick and that's not a tall order as far as volume in a 6'0 shortboard goes. The I72 is one of my favorite boards, but it sits in a weird spot between a step-down and an all-out HPSB.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Controversial opinion here is that even the I72 is pretty high-performance. If you need that kind of volume, I'd steer you towards a happy every day that will distribute that volume a little bit better than a sharpeye with their narrow tails and noses compared to other brands. Even when I try and hit 30.5 - 31L in a 6'0 sharpeye they feel a little weird and thick and that's not a tall order as far as volume in a 6'0 shortboard goes. The I72 is one of my favorite boards, but it sits in a weird spot between a step-down and an all-out HPSB.
Interesting take! I don’t really need to be at that volume. I get deep in the weeds on the surfboard models and sizes. Probably overthink it.

I was playing with the custom board dims on their website. Same dims for a Synergy yields more volume. The amount is negligible, but it’s interesting since the Synergy is advertised as more traditional HPSB.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I echo what Kool-aid is saying. I bought it thinking it was kind of a step-down grovely board, but it worked best when the waves had good shape, but weren't too big.

I went to the playgrounds area and we got kind of skunked for swell there. The I72 went really good in small (shoulder to head) 4bobs, aframes, pistols. Same with surfing it at this rivermouth in El Salvador.

I eventually sold it, as I beat it up pretty good over the years, and wanted to get something for gutless waves.

That being said I would definitely buy it again, just with a different construction

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
A few years ago you likely would have communicated directly with Marcio.
I think I had talked directly with him a few years ago. He got me stocked. Still think highly of him and his shapes... I've always clicked with them to some degree, and often it was just a matter of getting the sizing right.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Anyone ever trip out on Marco's success mid-late career? I remember getting them in college in the 00's from Bunker surf shop in PB and thinking they were rad but almost too loose.

What if it was Boysen, Plus One, Ezera, or the dozen or so other local San Diego shapers that had their die hard fans but never rose out of the local shaper realm.?

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Anyone ever trip out on Marco's success mid-late career? I remember getting them in college in the 00's from Bunker surf shop in PB and thinking they were rad but almost too loose.

What if it was Boysen, Plus One, Ezera, or the dozen or so other local San Diego shapers that had their die hard fans but never rose out of the local shaper realm.?
Boysen got something going in the mid-late 00s. He had some WQS guys for sure and Alana Blanchard's hourglasstacular figure on his boards.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I think when the Disco came out he really got some momentum, then with Toledo he went through the roof. Had a GL-1 - kinda a more refined flyer that went great years ago.

The Bunker was awesome, nothing but boards.

Reactions: SixtyGrit and Havoc

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I’ve been on a quest for a new daily driver. But I have 3 boards in that category. May need to finally add a more HP board.

what do you like about the Synergy?
Sorry, missed this somehow.

My surfing's never been described as stylish, but this board makes me feel like I can be. The ease with which I can link turns with speed is something else with no need to be pumping like a spastic. Loose, but not out of control and makes me surf better than I have for a long time. As a previous poster said, the board surfs shorter than it is, and it has more range than it has any right to be as a HPSB.

I was talking to a mate in the water about the board, and how it feels slightly rowdy, in a good way. I felt very validated when Chloe said a similar thing about the model at 2:40 into this video (Chloe makes reference to as a characteristic that he doesn't like, but I love the feeling)

Last edited:
Reactions: OsideBum

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Sorry, missed this somehow.

My surfing's never been described as stylish, but this board makes me feel like I can be. The ease with which I can link turns with speed is something else with no need to be pumping like a spastic. Loose, but not out of control and makes me surf better than I have for a long time. As a previous poster said, the board surfs shorter than it is, and it has more range than it has any right to be as a HPSB.

I was talking to a mate in the water about the board, and how it feels slightly rowdy, in a good way. I felt very validated when Chloe said a similar thing about the model at 2:40 into this video (Chloe makes reference to as a characteristic that he doesn't like, but I love the feeling)

Have you ever ridden a Ghost? If so, how would you compare the two? I’m looking to add a HPSB to the quiver for trips and the Synergy and Ghost are both on the list.