Sharpeye Surfboards

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Have you ever ridden a Ghost? If so, how would you compare the two? I’m looking to add a HPSB to the quiver for trips and the Synergy and Ghost are both on the list.
I have a ghost, but I've not surfed it yet. I wouldn't be able to compare them , as the Ghost I have is much bigger than the Synergy.

I don't think they're anything alike though, and the story would be as you'd expect it:
Ghost = Higher wave range,
Synergy = Lower wave range.

Mar 6, 2024
Has anyone tried a I72 with a round tail?

I’ve got a I72 squash that is epic when it’s head high and under, but I find gets a bit unsettled when it’s overhead +. Not sure a round tail would settle it down as I feel the concave is the main reason behind the unsettled feeling.

cheers

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Has anyone tried a I72 with a round tail?

I’ve got a I72 squash that is epic when it’s head high and under, but I find gets a bit unsettled when it’s overhead +. Not sure a round tail would settle it down as I feel the concave is the main reason behind the unsettled feeling.

cheers
I do have a round tail i72.
Yeah same feeling. Great board for head high and under. Concave, rocker and the rails which are fuller on the tail area play a bigger role than the tail itself I think.

Mar 6, 2024
That’s what I thought would be the case.

I’ve got a Synergy which has the same up and go and as the I72, but feels a bit sticky when trying to release the fins on the crappy waves at my local. I feel like it needs a bigger canvas or down the line waves to get the best out of it.

The search continues…..

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That’s what I thought would be the case.

I’ve got a Synergy which has the same up and go and as the I72, but feels a bit sticky when trying to release the fins on the crappy waves at my local. I feel like it needs a bigger canvas or down the line waves to get the best out of it.

The search continues…..
You play around with fins at all?

I have yet to ride a sharpeye that I would describe as sticky.

Reactions: waxfoot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Both pretty raked templates. Maybe try the Filipe, Sharpeye or other, more balanced template.

Reactions: bird.LA
Mar 6, 2024
Also tried Andino’s, the AMs fell the best so far.

I’ll see if I can get a set of Sharpeye’s or Filipe’s to try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I've surfed both the ghost and synergy.

They're completely different boards, for sure. The Ghost really likes to draw longer lines, while the Synergy is a classic HPSB that will fit into much tighter spots. The Ghost will paddle and catch waves much better on a similarly sized board but won't be nearly as maneuverable on the vertical axis as the Synergy.

Right now, the Synergy is the most high-performance board I have in my quiver. I've really enjoyed riding it in 4 - 8 foot waves at OB when it's fun and round but not overly powerful. I tend to ride it almost exclusively on the north end of the beach, where you paddle a little bit less and the waves are a bit rounder.

If the period starts to creep up, I'd definitely prefer to ride a ghost. I don't currently have one in my quiver... I've been riding happy travelers for the last two seasons. I'll probably get another season out of those, but I will probably go back to the Ghost.

I've also surfed the I72 as a round tail and I think it's an amazing combination. I used my I72 round tail when it was fun and 2 - 6 feet, mostly in the fall. I've ridden it in bigger waves as well, but it starts to lose its composure over 6 feet; it's just too fast.

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016

They're completely different boards, for sure. The Ghost really likes to draw longer lines, while the Synergy is a classic HPSB that will fit into much tighter spots. The Ghost will paddle and catch waves much better on a similarly sized board but won't be nearly as maneuverable on the vertical axis as the Synergy.

Right now, the Synergy is the most high-performance board I have in my quiver. I've really enjoyed riding it in 4 - 8 foot waves at OB when it's fun and round but not overly powerful. I tend to ride it almost exclusively on the north end of the beach, where you paddle a little bit less and the waves are a bit rounder.

If the period starts to creep up, I'd definitely prefer to ride a ghost. I don't currently have one in my quiver... I've been riding happy travelers for the last two seasons. I'll probably get another season out of those, but I will probably go back to the Ghost.

I've also surfed the I72 as a round tail and I think it's an amazing combination. I used my I72 round tail when it was fun and 2 - 6 feet, mostly in the fall. I've ridden in bigger waves as well but it starts to lose it's composure over 6 free - it's just too fast.
Awesome insight, thanks! Is your Synergy a round tail?

Mar 6, 2024

I've also surfed the I72 as a round tail and I think it's an amazing combination. I used my I72 round tail when it was fun and 2 - 6 feet, mostly in the fall. I've ridden it in bigger waves as well, but it starts to lose its composure over 6 feet; it's just too fast.
Great feedback.

I feel the Synergy will be good in bigger waves where you can draw out turns, unfortunately my local doesn’t throw up those conditions often.

I agree the I72 gets loose and fast when it’s 6+.

Cheers