My first pilgrimage to Mecca

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
if you are a goofy and competent maccas is heaven Staying there you are guranz to have a couple not so crowded sessions. Its an easy lineup to get waves in as well.

Other waves nearby. The camp should be able to boat you to them.
Roxies right is a super fun wave when its on. Very low risk factor.
Surfing ROXIES (Right) & MACARRONIS (Left) - October (youtube.com)

Thunders always has swell.
Greenbush and Rags if you are one of those nuttychargers.

Lots of other options too. You are going to score.
yea regular footer, relatively ok on my backhand. was kind of what sealed the deal is how much ill improve my b.h. while im there.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
perfect idea.
I found good size low tide thunders pretty good training ground for my shitty backhand. Struggled in small fast waves.
Maccas is a machine. Such a perfect wave.

Reactions: CutnSnip

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Some more flat day Indo hype.
Tom who is one of the owners of the boats we charter gets some sick ones. his Local break is better than ours :roflmao:
2:33
3:23

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've been on an Indo binge too recently. Trying to pick a spot - quality waves, but not super crowded. Yeah, I know it's a tough ask, but I think I've lined up a spot...

Where would you say the most crowded area is? Around Playgrounds and Macaronis? I heard Macaronis Resort has exclusive access to it. That's surprising for Indo. Also, a friend is at Nias at the moment, and he said it's not too crowded. Any Truth in that? I thought that would be packed like HTs...

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I've been on an Indo binge too recently. Trying to pick a spot - quality waves, but not super crowded. Yeah, I know it's a tough ask, but I think I've lined up a spot...

Where would you say the most crowded area is? Around Playgrounds and Macaronis? I heard Macaronis Resort has exclusive access to it. That's surprising for Indo. Also, a friend is at Nias at the moment, and he said it's not too crowded. Any Truth in that? I thought that would be packed like HTs...

early season nias mainly below average surfers - just got back from there for a swell
and contest i put on for locals - not busy

if 6 ft very few people there now able to surf it

june and july is packed

02394433-2997-468C-87CA-4EC07DFC087D.jpeg

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

Playgrounds is usually pretty busy during in season
Especially is winds/swell only allow of one spot to really work

We score insane uncrowded surf every year , you don’t need the big name breaks to get the wave of your life.

Reactions: Goodfish

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

macas resort doesnt have exclusive access but the 20 guests take the first 20 out of 40 people alolwed in the water at any give time.

and there can be only 2 non resort boats around at a time.

if it actually plays out this way we shall see.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
macas resort doesnt have exclusive access but the 20 guests take the first 20 out of 40 people alolwed in the water at any give time.

and there can be only 2 non resort boats around at a time.

if it actually plays out this way we shall see.
2 moorings for non resort boats, resort chases unauthorized boats out pirate style! Heard some hub bub anout this changing. Other camps and boats think it’s bullshit the maccas camp can boat wherever but limits acess to “their’ wave.
marinate on that as you wish. I love surfing Maccas and it not being a shitshow.

we have had a mooring my last two boat trips. spent two days there both years.
first time I went it was fucking huge, we all paddled out at dark and I got smoked haha.

second time was 4-6 and soo perfect. My backhand is atrocious but I even got some solid turns in. It’s like an advanced level tropical trestles going left.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Where would you say the most crowded area is? Around Playgrounds and Macaronis
Thought more about this.

Most crowded I have seen is burgerworld when it was the only spot working.
Second worst HTs, after that nipussi when bank vaults was scary.

Obviously covid time was the most uncrowded, surfed Hts with two boats, perfect rifles with 10 people, telescopes with no one. it was insane!!

current day the most uncrowded was the deep south lol. We were the only boat and surfing spots without names (that we knew at least) It was a haul to get there though. Not many boat operators down to burn that much gas.
There are so many waves out there that people have no idea about...get to searching

• Love

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, at the moment I'm just trying to rule out the most crowded (HTs, Maccas, Nias, etc), then balance the other options with how long it will take me to get there. I'm just gonna leave it as a strike mission in July when I come back from Europe. Got a 5 week window for a two week trip...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, at the moment I'm just trying to rule out the most crowded (HTs, Maccas, Nias, etc), then balance the other options with how long it will take me to get there. I'm just gonna leave it as a strike mission in July when I come back from Europe. Got a 5 week window for a two week trip...
Take a 5 week trip. Ask Truth how. I bet he knows within your budget.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
@CutnSnip update us amigo!
Been here for 6 days, yesterday was the first realish macas day. 4-6 clean all day.al title Lully but when they came…chefs kiss. 24 people in the water at it’s busiest but generally everyone sticking to their number. I switch off between the peak and then will sit a little under and pick off the tweeners. Then back to the peak and wait my turn. Didn’t get the one I was dreaming about quite yet but another 8 days to go. A few guys got some proper drainers yesterday though. Way better with some swell in the water. Inside can be a bit dicey without water moving on the reef but no cuts yet. 3 sessions yesterday and feeling it today. Small again and onshore to start the day today but waiting for it to cleanup. Have had a bunch of mediocre sessions with only a few guys out which is nice.

went to thunders one day, was ok again not exactly doing its thing but fun nonetheless. A small group went to the bush yesterday and got kinda skunked. My group takes up 8 spots at the camp and then the rest are pretty chill. Even the brazzos waiting their turns. Food is pretty good, portions a bit small. Camp is about what you’d expect in the middle of nowhere and the staff is all time. Not luxury if that’s what peeps are expecting but more than good enough for me. Rest of the forecast if it holds looks ok, but not epic by any means. Maybe 2 more 4-6 days if we’re lucky. Still got my hopes set on a Roxie’s sesh but we'll see.

overall backhand feeling a lot better tho and just hyped to be here. Will update again after tomorrow. It’s a turnover day, with half the camp splitting and another group coming in, 3-5 and we should have to our selves for a big chunk of the day.

Edit.: in the room soaking up some a/c. Looks like it just turned offshore with a passing squall. 2 guys out, and about to be 3 :giggle:

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Send it!!!!! Yew love it when erbbers are scoring !

You gonna charge bush if it’s on?
honestly probably not. Will see if it works again and if I make some choobs at macas, maaaybe but only 12 peeps can go on the boat, the slots fill up fast and I’d hate to take a slot away from someone who really wants it. Plus it means 12 people less at macas

Reactions: OsideBum