Jon LaLanne ride reports

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Jon shapes my daughter's boyfriend's borts. Many South Bay Shapers would love to have him (Dylan Morrisroe, 16 yo) riding their shapes, but he's committed to Jon and I respect that. An ex-pro skater, Rick Howard, and I were talking in the water last Saturday and he said that Jon's borts have progressed his sarfing a lot and had nothing but great things to say about the borts. Anyone here on Jon's shapes? I know he's associated with the Gemini, but curious if any old/older du's have ridden and liked his relatively HPSB borts? I think my daughter's boyfriend could rip on anything, but Jon does some interesting asym and random shapes and I don't see his name come up here as far as I can remember.

I'm super curious about a asyms and Tim Stamps is opposed. I'm between ordering a John Simon asym or maybe trying a Jon LaLanne asym. I still plan on ordering a Flare/GX mashup from Tim, but want a different bort to feel out.

P.S. If anyone else is watching, how fun does Snapper look for the women's R16 heats?

Last edited:

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Jon shows up at my shop every now and then. Cool guy. Made me a Gemini I should have kept.
Yes Jon is a great guy, he always came by my shop too. Fun guy to have around, always talking shapes and theory.

I have two of his boards now, a gemini and a California single fin he was tinkering with. He's been getting into Cheyne Horans Lazer zap model lately. I hooked him up with a guy who had one of horans original zaps from the 80's so he could check it out and get some measurements. He's been in touch with horan as well. I really like my gemini, so fast and turns pretty good. Only funny thing it does to me is when I take off it splashes water into my face right as I'm getting up, kind of blinds me for a second. Probably rider error.

I have not been on one of his hpsb yet.
I've seen one of Dylans boards he was delivering to him and it looked good. I'll probably get one someday

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
still have the board and it's still in pristine shape as I only rode it a couple times with your fins and with then some c-drive fins
have 2 other alexander made gems including the 6'4" blue one steamroller had before he bought your Lala.
I also have 2 compsands I made and 2 corecork ones made by my compsand sensei surfgear hawaii. One's sitting at Peter Poppler's house in kilauea if anyone want's to try one on Kauai. Don't know if he still has it but if he does PPK can probably borrow it for you. I even had a 9' gemini longbaord for awhile. I also got a ricky carroll shaped nugget/zap from solosurfer way back which I traded to Shwuz for one of his compsands. But have been thinking about Lala's version. Left my 7'11" surftech nugget on kauai also with a beginner friend. Still have all those mccoy gull and horan fstar ins though

Attachments

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
when I picked up my last reverse assym from george over at plus one, i left one of jeff's original gemini's as a thank you gift and to learn from This was when ryan was hanging out there picking george and carl's brain on assyms. This was before burch started making his own version of the picklefork an assym version. with jeff now in bali it's good that Jon has permission to make them here instead of shipping them from bali.

Attachments

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I made his acquaintance on Insta, he is mildly aerosexual and liked one of my flying photos…
randomly, in the midst of an intense whoring phase, a couple of his boards popped up for sale over here in West Oz. They were way too small for me but were, without a doubt, the best handshapes I’ve ever held. One was a dumpster diver style thing with a super deep single concave, and I couldn’t stop feeling the curves.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Buck_86
Nov 16, 2023
The Gemini looks super sick always wanted to try one. John Simon has a model called DT/DN that he said is heavily inspired by the Gemini

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
I bought a wall hanger 8’11 5 fin gun in 2013 that went super well. It was just about Stretch gun dimensions 8’11-21 but only 2 3/4 thick, wide point forward. It turned so well and was so fast as a thruster and quad. I broke it in half got ahold of Jon and he offered to stick it back together but I already had. I put it back together twice but ended up losing half at sea then it was done. With a heavy glass job it would have probably lasted a few more winters.