How do you size your mini-guns and guns?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
One foot of board per inch of pepis(man parts) should be the max allowed. If you’re sporting 5 inches, sorry guy, you’re a groveler. Lear to love tomos. If you’re out there on your 10’6 owl gun…hi.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I like that it comes from SUPs... when in fact it comes from Prone Paddleboards. That's the CT bullet nose Joe perfected to shed water and not submarine while riding bumps. That pre-dates SUPs by a decade plus.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
9’0 Puerto Padi. 9’0/21”/3 1/2” 72 liters. Took it out in some 4 foot waves and it seems to go pretty well, right on rail really easily and lots of flip in the nose. Rocker looks really similar to an old 7’6 Rawson classic I have but I have not measured it. Has a pretty radical single with a double in between and lots of vee all the way through. I put some new John John big wave quads on it.Hopefully catch some real waves on it sometime.

Attachments

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
9’0 Puerto Padi. 9’0/21”/3 1/2” 72 liters. Took it out in some 4 foot waves and it seems to go pretty well, right on rail really easily and lots of flip in the nose. Rocker looks really similar to an old 7’6 Rawson classic I have but I have not measured it. Has a pretty radical single with a double in between and lots of vee all the way through. I put some new John John big wave quads on it.Hopefully catch some real waves on it sometime.
How did the fins feel?

Reactions: Sniper

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
How did the fins feel?

I think they feel like a quad windsurfing setup. I have not used them in anything real but in windsurfing the bigger back fins make the boards feel like a twin fin that edges really well and planes at low speeds.They release really well and are snappier with the lift coming more off the tail. Will report back when I try it on a real wave.

Reactions: money4coffeeman

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Got it out in some 6 to 8 foot real surf. It gets in super early but needs to be tipped right on rail and almost just feels like it automatically sets your line. The original paddilac goes straight and is easy to turn if you need it to. The fins feel pretty weird; they lift and track off the tail. Going to set it up with old school Futures paddle quads when it goes out again. That should loosen it up a lot.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Got it out in some 6 to 8 foot real surf. It gets in super early but needs to be tipped right on rail and almost just feels like it automatically sets your line. The original paddilac goes straight and is easy to turn if you need it to. The fins feel pretty weird; they lift and track off the tail. Going to set it up with old school Futures paddle quads when it goes out again. That should loosen it up a lot.
That's kind of how I felt about the Billy Kemper quads. Even when using them in pretty decent-sized surf (DOH - TOH) they felt slow to respond and reluctant to turn. I kind of wonder if these templates just don't work unless you're traveling 30MPH or more. That would make sense to me. The JJFs look specifically designed to help hold the tail in when trying to get into the barrel of 40' waves. You can kind of see that from his footage of surfing gigantic alligators or whatever.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
The puerto padis are narrower at stock than the padis. I wonder if this is what made you feel that way about your puerto padi today or maybe the fins.
I'm thinking of ordering a longer mini- padi than the 6'10 max stock length (maybe 7'2 or 7-4). If that's then considered a Puerto padi, I'd go wider than stock for a custom (and quad).
Keep the reports coming :)

Reactions: Maz