Cheap old gear?

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Interested in trying foiling (surf and or wing/kite) if I can get gear for cheap enough. Not sure if gear from a few years ago is even worth buying or if it's improved by leaps and bounds.

Wave kited strapless at a fairly high level for a long time so would probably start with the kite to eliminate one learning curve.
Can you use the same board for paddle and wing? They basically just look like a block of foam so I'd imagine if you can catch a wave and plane fast enough to engage the foil anything will work?

Is something like this totally outdated? Seems cheap?
There's a board and wing that need repairs for cheap, could be in for under 700$

Thanks

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do not buy anything older than 2022. Do not buy that Manta.

I would also advise against buying any board that needs work. Once the boxes are shot it's pretty much the death of a foil board.

There's no real way to get into this sport cheaply. You either want to do it or you don't unfortunately. Take a lesson if you want a cheap try out. Either winging, tow behind a boat, or even efoil.

EDIT: If you know people that foil, see if you can borrow their gear. There are guys who demo depending on your location. Tell me where you are and I'll see if I can come up with a name that can help you.

Reactions: motosurf

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Do not buy anything older than 2022. Do not buy that Manta.

I would also advise against buying any board that needs work. Once the boxes are shot it's pretty much the death of a foil board.

There's no real way to get into this sport cheaply. You either want to do it or you don't unfortunately. Take a lesson if you want a cheap try out. Either winging, tow behind a boat, or even efoil.

EDIT: If you know people that foil, see if you can borrow their gear. There are guys who demo depending on your location. Tell me where you are and I'll see if I can come up with a name that can help you.
Thank you. I'm in santa barbara/goleta. Honestly I just saw some cheap gear pop up lately and if the initial cost wasn't too bad I'd give it a try. Definitely not going to spend how ever many thousand dollars it costs to buy new stuff. I stopped kiting about 10years ago because I didn't have the time to chase conditions anymore and I probably wouldn't have done it as long as I did if I didn't get cheap/free kites from sponsored friends. Maybe in a couple years when the current stuff is cheap I'll give it a try..

I do think it looks fun on small days though and there's plenty of those around here. Was groveling the other day and there was a guy linking multiple waves together and it looked fun..

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If you want to try winging start rolling by Ledbetter. Maybe @shshsh will give you a go on some gear. I know a couple other guys up there too. If you come down to Mondos I'll let you try some prone gear if a mid day session during the week would work out.

But just talk to foilers you see in the water. They're almost all nice. They may have a line on gear for you when they see you're actually interested and not just asking if they have a motor on that thing.

Reactions: motosurf