Bobby Quad

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Haha yeah was part of How Surfers Get Paid. Loved that Biolos told that story, if I remember correctly he said it happened multiple times. Do you remember that story with Wiggoly in Stab when he talked about his favorite sexual positions. I remember thinking that was weird as hell too.
haha. No - I dont remember that? When did that story come out? I'll look for it.

That is a pretty weird thing to say in an interview. lol.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I remember when Dustin was in the lost videos and said you need to get sponsored so you can sell the free sh!t to your friends.

One of the better lost ads back in the day was lost mad libs. "${local_ripper} and I went over to ${local_derelict}'s house to trade lost product not meant to be traded for ${substance} for ${substance}"

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Haha yeah was part of How Surfers Get Paid. Loved that Biolos told that story, if I remember correctly he said it happened multiple times. Do you remember that story with Wiggoly in Stab when he talked about his favorite sexual positions. I remember thinking that was weird as hell too.
That sounds like a Derek Reilly interview

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
The OG booby quad was meant to be ridden couple inches shorter a least so unless you are 6'4" I would not do it :shrug:
Ya I tend to disregard the recommendations on the board sizing on most of the builders websites. Every time I have followed them they have felt way under volumed or just to small for my taste. Soaking wet Im a bit over 200lb. and about 6'1. I really dont like going shorter than that. Theres a used 6'2 in SF that Id jump on but Im down in Ventura.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ya I tend to disregard the recommendations on the board sizing on most of the builders websites. Every time I have followed them they have felt way under volumed or just to small for my taste. Soaking wet Im a bit over 200lb. and about 6'1. I really dont like going shorter than that. Theres a used 6'2 in SF that Id jump on but Im down in Ventura.
You can get with doing that on a board like the BQ. Not so much on most HPSB. The pointy nosed thrusters are designed to be surfed with a fairly specific foot placement. They are generally to be ridden in lengths roughly matching your height. You can’t really just res them up and expect them to work well.

For example a CI Fever should be ridden at around your height give or take a couple inches at most. I’m a hair under 6’2 and rode a 6’3 stock Fever. When I had it I was around 200 pounds, btw.

Let’s say that board isn’t enough volume for me. I can’t just get a stock 6’10. My stance wouldn’t work right. My feet would have to spread too far apart to have them in the sweet spots. Would it “work”? Sure. But not as the design is intended. Instead, if I wanted that “model” I could go a touch wider and add enough thickness to get the volume I needed but 6’3 is about as long as I could go.

A BQ would be more forgiving about resing up because now it just becomes a mediocre midlength quad. Still, you’d be better off getting a custom board made thicker but keeping the length more ideal for the design.

I’d ride a 5’7 or 5’8 BQ.

Reactions: terdroamer

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
You can get with doing that on a board like the BQ. Not so much on most HPSB. The pointy nosed thrusters are designed to be surfed with a fairly specific foot placement. They are generally to be ridden in lengths roughly matching your height. You can’t really just res them up and expect them to work well.

For example a CI Fever should be ridden at around your height give or take a couple inches at most. I’m a hair under 6’2 and rode a 6’3 stock Fever. When I had it I was around 200 pounds, btw.

Let’s say that board isn’t enough volume for me. I can’t just get a stock 6’10. My stance wouldn’t work right. My feet would have to spread too far apart to have them in the sweet spots. Would it “work”? Sure. But not as the design is intended. Instead, if I wanted that “model” I could go a touch wider and add enough thickness to get the volume I needed but 6’3 is about as long as I could go.

A BQ would be more forgiving about resing up because now it just becomes a mediocre midlength quad. Still, you’d be better off getting a custom board made thicker but keeping the length more ideal for the design.

I think what you can tweak with this design is what kinda waves you wanna ride etc by pulling in tail and nose or going wider etc. I use mine as my hpsb for good days and went 5'7" x19 x2.18" pintail sk8 deck.

Last edited:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013

I wouldnt go up from a 6'3 to a 6'10 because I wanted more volume. Thats a completely different board at that point. I get the parameters that they recommend, and I have gotten boards sized according to the charts but for me I just feel theyre usually on the low end as far as size. I do like a bit more rail line in the water. I definitely wouldnt consider a 6'2 a mid length, even with the Bobby outline but thats just me. I bounce between a 6'2 Octafish, or 6'3 Roberts anything to a 7'2 speed egg to a log if its really small. Ive never really ridden a quad so that would be a whole new deal for me.