Spot the lie

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It will trickle down, you just wait.

If only we can deregulate corporations, they would do the right thing by their employees.

I can't wait for the "entry job" apologists to chime in about all the harm that $9.50 minimum wage is causing to the economy. :roflmao:
Look up the percentage/number of Americans who actually make minimum wage and get back to me :roflmao:

The free market decides the value of your work.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Car payments and the accessibility of auto loans is one example of a perpetual subscription lifestyle that permeated (advertised it's way) in to peoples heads
Dealing with this now because I need to replace my car. At 2000 miles/month and paying the taxes/fees upfront, only a 60 month note or less will have positive equity at 4 years/100K miles. Basically enough to walk with enough cash to pay the upfront taxes/fees on the next one. If I do 72 month I will probably break even on equity at 4 years/100K miles.

84 months? Unless you barely drive you will get raked over the coals if you need to trade in/up.

Unless you make at least $80K a year, you are an idiot if you spend $100+/month out of pocket for a phone. So many cheaper options out there nowadays, and if my employer didn't pay my bill for me that's what I would use.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’ve had a few friends commit suicide last year. 2 of them sighted finances. They’d worked plenty but spent it all. Saved nothing. 65, tired and injured, no money and a realization that SS wasn’t enough to live on. Too late to do anything about it. And they regretted making the obvious bad decisions.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’ve had a few friends commit suicide last year. 2 of them sighted finances. They’d worked plenty but spent it with all. Saved nothing. 65, tired and injured, no money and a realization that SS wasn’t enough to live on. Too late to do anything about it.
I really wish someone had sat my ass my down and explained compounding stock market returns to me at a young age. The numbers are staggering and don't even look real, and then you run them through the calculator and it all adds up.

Even at 25-30 it would've been helpful :toilet: Oh well, guess I'm catching up now :foreheadslap: I couldn't imagine being 50+ with no kind of retirement or home equity to speak of.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I’ve had a few friends commit suicide last year. 2 of them sighted finances. They’d worked plenty but spent it all. Saved nothing. 65, tired and injured, no money and a realization that SS wasn’t enough to live on. Too late to do anything about it. And they regretted making the obvious bad decisions.
Suicide is more common than one might assume.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof and npsp

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
A married couple is driving down the interstate doing 55 mph. The husband is behind the wheel. His wife looks over at him and says, “Honey, I know we’ve been married for 15 years, but, I want a divorce.”
The husband says nothing but slowly increases speed to 60 mph.
She then says, “I don’t want you to try to talk me out of it, because I’ve been having an affair with your best friend, and he’s a better lover than you.”
Again the husband stays quiet and just speeds up as he clenches his hands on the wheels.
She says, “I want the house.” Again the husband speeds up, and now is doing 70 mph.
She says, “I want the kids too.” The husband just keeps driving faster, and faster, until he’s up to 80 mph.
She says, “I want the car, the checking account, and all the credit cards too.” The husband slowly starts to veer toward a bridge overpass piling, as she says, “Is there anything you want?”
The husband says, “No, I’ve got everything I need right here.”
She asks, “What’s that?”
The husband replies just before they hit the wall at 90 mph…”I’ve got the airbag!”

• Haha
Reactions: ElOgro and hammies

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Look up the percentage/number of Americans who actually make minimum wage and get back to me :roflmao:

The free market decides the value of your work.
So in the richest country in the world, with more billionaires and millionaires than anywhere in the world, people have to get subsidized by the nanny government because "free market" decided they are goong to be paid in peanuts.

Why is there even poverty in America?
80+ thousand homeless in LA? :roflmao:

FREE MARKUT

Dumbass

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So in the richest country in the world, with more billionaires and millionaires than anywhere in the world, people have to get subsidized by the nanny government because "free market" decided they are goong to be paid in peanuts.

80+ thousand homeless in LA? :roflmao:

FREE MARKUT

Dumbass
You still think homelessness is solely due to poverty?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You still think homelessness is solely due to poverty?
No, homelessness is solely due to the dysfunctional, fucked up society.

Nobody GAF, apart from when the homeless get in the way and even then you still think putting them in work camps is the solution. :socrazy:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Again, how many people is that actually true for who work full time?

The free market does a great job of deciding wages. Which is why the vast majority of people make well over the minimum wage, because employers have to raise wages to attract workers. Those workers decide if there is time is worth trading for that amount.

The more the government sets wages, the more employers will find a way to get by for less, whether that be automation, overtime with existing workers, and/or doing the job themselves.

Some people don't work enough. Some don't have marketable skills. Others are simply unemployable. Many who struggle live in areas where there are minimal job opportunities because there is little economic activity. Wealth is concentrated in areas that drive the most economic growth and mostly sparse elsewhere. It is was it is.

80+ thousand homeless in LA?
"Just a few thousand" :roflmao:

I'm going to tell my wife I'm going out of town for "just a few days" and come back 35-40 days later, sure it'll be all good right? Basically the same thing :shaka: :roflmao:

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand