YouTube Channels

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What's the basic equipment to have a good YouTube channel?

GoPros (how many?)
GoPro attachments?
SIM cards?
Video editing?
Some kind of Microphone setup?
How powerful of computer to do basic video editing?

Would be shooting outdoors mostly.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
dunno about the cam gear and whatnot, people using all type of stuff out there and I think go pro is only really good for action sports or selfie talk to cam sh!t but any computer in the mac lineup these days will let you edit pretty smoothly. i-movie may be all you need or final cut pro if youre trying to get fancy.

Reactions: r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd do some searches for YT kit bundles and then buy separately if it's cheaper.
If you plan to use a drone, get your FAA Part 107 cert. Lots of people with monetized accounts get called by the FAA for not having one and either get fined or an hour long lecture and have to take their vids down until getting the cert.

• Love
Reactions: keenfish and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Not even sure what a 'jump edit' is. I know a ton about photography as I used to shoot for some surfing mags, but I know nothing about video stuff.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Not even sure what a 'jump edit' is. I know a ton about photography as I used to shoot for some surfing mags, but I know nothing about video stuff.
jump cut. once shunned in the film making world except for the artsiest of directors/editors. to edit w/o an angle change.

basically when you watch a YT or tik tok and someone cuts out all the ummm, aahs, and pregnant pauses w/o changing the camera angle.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Depends on your content....Is it all "action"? Are you going to be recording yourself sitting at a desk recording video and audio? Like someone mentioned above, iMovie(if you're a Mac user) works fine, otherwise look into Adobe Premier and watch 20 hours of YouTube tutorials on proper editing techniques and upload settings((it's all there). Regardless, a new GoPro, with extra batteries, SD cards and accessories should cover either or both.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Panasonic/Olympus micro 4/3 system is pretty good for better than gopro quality, but not totally breaking the bank. 4k video at 20MP, stereo sound recording, and underwater housings. A lot of different options in camera bodies and lenses. Plus, you can find adapters easy for other lens mounts including c-mount. The camera/lenses are a little smaller than the sony, nikon and canon systems. Fuji is another good option because their sensor tech is top notch. Check https://www.four-thirds.org/en/ for all the options. As far as software goes, check out openshot and blender, which are opensource and free. I personally like DXO lab for software https://www.dxo.com/.

• Love

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Since he’s not a chick and based off YouTube recs my guess is his channel will be about living in a hole in the dirt somewhere in the wilderness he dug himself with his dog?

• Haha

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
jump cut. once shunned in the film making world except for the artsiest of directors/editors. to edit w/o an angle change.

basically when you watch a YT or tik tok and someone cuts out all the ummm, aahs, and pregnant pauses w/o changing the camera angle.
also see j-l.godard’s breathless (1959), for a few outre (for the time...) uses of jump cuts...

essential cool flick with peak jean seberg - you might dig it...

looking forward to whatever pron you come up with !

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
What's the basic equipment to have a good YouTube channel?

GoPros (how many?)
GoPro attachments?
SIM cards?
Video editing?
Some kind of Microphone setup?
How powerful of computer to do basic video editing?

Would be shooting outdoors mostly.
I think there's a youtube video for that.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish and r32