Your BEST surf trip, EVER!

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
We need some surf stoke up in this beeotch!
What's the best surf trip you've ever had, and what made it so memorable? If you have pics
to go along with your post, even better, but stories are appreciated.
Best thing I ever saw was you saving those two from drowning at Colorados. I think that post is lost.

Best waves? Maybe our last trip.

Notice the grammar?

#respect

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
waves - salina cruz
overall experience - samoa
best time with the bros - nic
second best overall trip - somewhere in baja

I haven't travelled much for surfing

Reactions: manbearpig

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
All the years living on Oahu.
4 months driving from Mazatlan to Guatemala late summer til early winter 1994. Epic times.
2 weeks on Mo'orea.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
J-Bay is my dream trip. Gotta say I've been super lucky in my surf travels. Only ever really had one bad trip. On that one it rained sideways with 30+ mph wind 6 out of 7 days. Surfed a grand total of 2 hours in a week. At least the house had a nice hot tub.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hinako Islands in 97 I think, big the whole time, got the ride the righthander that Curren rode on the little fish in searching for Tom Curren. It was also cool being someplace kinda remote.

Reactions: manbearpig

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Abreojos a million years ago. Drove down that washboard road through that godawful desert and off in the distance it came into view and it was FIRING! Our stoke meter was pegged at a million. We camped pretty much where this guy did and had just about the same view.

What you don't see in that pic are the flies. Were you tormented by flies? I remember one time we went down there and my buddies' cousin had already been down there a week. We got there at night (the flies would sleep on the ceiling of the tent at night) and all he could talk about was getting revenge on the flies and how he would pull their wings off and basically revel in torturing them. Didn't even mention the waves. We thought he was psycho. By the end of our trip we were dong the same thing. The only relief from the flies was in the surf, so we surfed a lot.

The middle photo is at Abreojos. There was (is?) a light beacon at the top point and one of my friends climbed up to snap this photo.528491_575941405756605_1487342195_n.jpg

Reactions: mundus

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Solid responses, so far! I've been on at least 1 designated surf trip (bros only) for the past, at least, 15 years.
The surf gods have not often been fruitful and giving on all but a couple of trips. I've been so many places that should
be f'ing epic when we'd be there or that had weird winds that "never" happen there.
I'd say it's almost a tie between a trip to El Sal
several years back, without much forecasted swell, but still playful-as-fukk right point waves and one
mixed-peak that was awesome. That and last year's mainland Mex left-point trip that I want to repeat forever.
F this Covid bullshi_

Reactions: obslop

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Solid responses, so far! I've been on at least 1 designated surf trip (bros only) for the past, at least, 15 years.
The surf gods have not often been fruitful and giving on all but a couple of trips. I've been so many places that should
be f'ing epic when we'd be there or that had weird winds that "never" happen there.
I'd say it's almost a tie between a trip to El Sal
several years back, without much forecasted swell, but still playful-as-fukk right point waves and one
mixed-peak that was awesome. That and last year's mainland Mex left-point trip that I want to repeat forever.
F this Covid bullshi_
0C051FD2-4382-4573-92F6-4C734DB0316A.jpeg
No more disco light.

You fellas would have loved it here all week.

xoxoxo

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I've had some fun trips, but honestly the Pipe to V-land stretch on a 6-8 foot northwest swell with light trades is nearly impossible to beat.

Did Pascuales a few times in the early 90's and it was super fun but my last trip this kneeboarder Moose from IB and an ex-Marine got killed on the low road to Ticla trying to do some shady deal. I was rooming with Moose. We got hassled by the cops and I was over it. I have a friend down there now with a ski, I should probably go back.

Reactions: huryanpost

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What you don't see in that pic are the flies. Were you tormented by flies? I remember one time we went down there and my buddies' cousin had already been down there a week. We got there at night (the flies would sleep on the ceiling of the tent at night) and all he could talk about was getting revenge on the flies and how he would pull their wings off and basically revel in torturing them. Didn't even mention the waves. We thought he was psycho. By the end of our trip we were dong the same thing. The only relief from the flies was in the surf, so we surfed a lot.

The middle photo is at Abreojos. There was (is?) a light beacon at the top point and one of my friends climbed up to snap this photo.View attachment 89187
Really cool photos. Surfed that point with the shipwreck when I was a grom. It was pretty rusted out and disintegrated when I was there.

Reactions: One-Off