Young surfer dies in Mexico

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just saw this on the NSSA Facebook page. Every parent's worst nightmare.

Our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Blake Dresner who passed away this past Sunday in a fatal surfing accident in Mexico. Blake was a standout in the NSSA Explorer division and is also the 2013 National High School Junior Varsity Mens Champion. That same year he led the San Dieguito Junior Varsity Surf Team (@sdasurfteam ) to the National title. Pictured in the first photo is Blake on the right who had just won the Boys division at the Oceanside Explorer in 2012. He is with Menehuene division winner @instagrom and Juniors winner @colinrichardson760 . 2nd picture is Blake second from right placing 5th in the Boys final at the Mission Beach Explorer in 2011. Rest In Peace Blake. You were gone too young and will be missed.

• Dislike
Reactions: toPBk and JBerry

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Is thid the person who died at the salina Cruz beachbreak?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Ok, i just talked to my guide in Huatulco. It was a young kid. Head injury. That's all he knows.

Reactions: john4surf

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This year man....getting more dire yet more numb to it all with each day. Poor kid, truly a heartbreaker

Reactions: john4surf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
RIP youngster.

Think about how many times in your life you’ve jumped in a warm water shorebreak to body whomp a couple. For me thousands. It can happen anywhere.

I’m under the impression that travel from the states to Mexico still isn’t all that easy. Apart from very few flights places that rent are limited to 30% occupancy.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
This was a good friend of mine who I've known, surfed with, bullshitted with, and traveled with out of country a fair amount since we met 7 or 8 years ago. An extremely talented surfer, capable lifeguard, and all around positive life force who was always smiling and enriching the lives of all those he encountered. I'll truly miss our sessions together, seeing your truck and your smile whenever I pulled up to the spot, and the love and good vibes you would always bring with you, everywhere. I am heartbroken. RIP Blake forever <3

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This was a good friend of mine who I've known, surfed with, bullshitted with, and traveled with out of country a fair amount since we met 7 or 8 years ago. An extremely talented surfer, capable lifeguard, and all around positive life force who was always smiling and enriching the lives of all those he encountered. I'll truly miss our sessions together, seeing your truck and your smile whenever I pulled up to the spot, and the love and good vibes you would always bring with you, everywhere. I am heartbroken. RIP Blake forever <3
Sorry for your loss. What happened exactly?