YOLO ALERTS

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
custom YOLO - is this an oxymoron? Or is this the way for 2022...

I went on custom YOLO splurge over a month ago, boards are slowly trickling in

From Album...
Two arrive tomorrow - 5' 11"x19"x2.44 custom Moonstone, and YOLOed 6' 10" Plasmid
Two more arrive later this week, 6' 0"x18.25"x2.38 custom Sterlana (narrow asymmetric twinsman) - hoping this is like a step-down Townsend, and a custom 5' 6"x18.88x2.38 Insanity dedicated at twin plus trailer

The Moonstone and right-sized Insanity are two boards that I have wanted for some time.

A few weeks out, I have 5' 9"x19"x2.38" 28L Modtwin, a true shortboard performance oriented twin.

From Arakawa
custom - slightly shorter, slightly wider (5' 8.5"x19.25x2.45, ~28L)Jackpot for smaller pocket beach break. Dealing with Eric was top notch. Another week or so and should be finished

From Boyton (local shaper)
custom - modified twin fin fish (5' 2"x19x2.5, 30.5L), a play board for smaller waves, another week or so and should be finished

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

From Album...
Two arrive tomorrow - 5' 11"x19"x2.44 custom Moonstone, and YOLOed 6' 10" Plasmid
Two more arrive later this week, 6' 0"x18.25"x2.38 custom Sterlana (narrow asymmetric twinsman) - hoping this is like a step-down Townsend, and a custom 5' 6"x18.88x2.38 Insanity dedicated at twin plus trailer

The Moonstone and right-sized Insanity are two boards that I have wanted for some time.

A few weeks out, I have 5' 9"x19"x2.38" 28L Modtwin, a true shortboard performance oriented twin.

From Arakawa
custom - slightly shorter, slightly wider (5' 8.5"x19.25x2.45, ~28L)Jackpot for smaller pocket beach break. Dealing with Eric was top notch. Another week or so and should be finished

custom - modified twin fin fish (5' 2"x19x2.5, 30.5L), a play board for smaller waves, another week or so and should be finished
Pretty sure 7 customs/yolos qualifies for a yolo share. Doesn't count though until photos are posted...

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House

From Album...

From Arakawa

Burke’s the man for all things fish related

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

From Album...

From Arakawa

Gotdamn. not f’n around. Ordering boars like it’s your job!

man, I haven’t seen an 18” width on my boar dims since high school!

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Gotdamn. not f’n around. Ordering boars like it’s your job!

man, I haven’t seen an 18” width on my boar dims since high school!
Haha - well I am 50 and now surfing 18" wide boards...though these are not quite your average 18" wide boards...

I have a skinny 5' 8" Twinsman (18.25" wide) and skinny 5' 6" Disorder (18.38" wide). I have a preference for narrower boards, but had some initial concern when Matt suggested these widths. Anyway, I went for it and both work well. They are deceiving. They have thickness @ 2.38" which is maintained to the rail. Both support reasonable volume for their length (about 28L), I feel they have more volume than this by the way they paddle and catch waves. The narrowness provides a more responsive board. I would describe these as chunky narrow boards. They are super fun, especially for average conditions. Its the opposite of very short and wide, being narrow and thick. I find the narrow/thick are more versatile. The skinny Disorder works in a range of conditions and is a very easy board to surf. The skinny Twinsman needs a bit better wave. They do behave differently than a performance shortboard because of this volume distribution. In punchier waves with some size, it is hard to set the rail owing to thickness. It is not horrible, but it is noticeable. When the waves are tad less steep, wow both skinny boards are fast. When it gets steeper, I prefer the Arakawa. This is why I am getting a shorter Jackpot. In chatting with Matt, this is why he suggested the Modtwin.

The chunky, narrowness, is what led to going for longer Sterlana. I feel the Sterlana will have a unique feel at these dimensions and again believe it will be stepdown Townsend. I am excited to try it!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Welp. Made it through a couple weeks out of the water without yolo- except for some Son of Cobra fins. But pÍnche SBD’s stupid post about the Dark Arts Mandala boar pron got me. Almost bought a stock fcs fusion one that Manny posted on Insta but after messaging with him… ended up venmoing a deposit for a custom delta-v twin in DA build with futures boxes. Maybe a superchunk instead of fish. Y.O.L.O.
7698B928-02A9-4CF0-8121-43339D27FCD1.jpeg
edit: PSA- not sure if the 5’8 or 5’10 are still available. But he said both were Delta-V Fish
20.5” x 2-3/8”
+Concave deck
EPS/Epoxy/Carbon composite
Sanded finish
FCS Fusion x 2

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Welp. Made it through a couple weeks out of the water without yolo- except for some Son of Cobra fins. But pÍnche SBD’s stupid post about the Dark Arts Mandala boar pron got me. Almost bought a stock fcs fusion one that Manny posted on Insta but after messaging with him… ended up venmoing a deposit for a custom delta-v twin in DA build with futures boxes. Maybe a superchunk instead of fish. Y.O.L.O.
View attachment 135680
edit: PSA- not sure if the 5’8 or 5’10 are still available. But he said both were:
Delta-V Fish
20.5” x 2-3/8”
+Concave deck
Sanded finish
FCS Fusion x 2
fusions are a deal breaker thank god.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
View attachment 135680
edit: PSA- not sure if the 5’8 or 5’10 are still available. But he said both were Delta-V Fish
20.5” x 2-3/8”
+Concave deck
Sanded finish
FCS Fusion x 2
this is the way. I am proud of you

Reactions: MathDebater

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
while we've got the momentum going on this thread…. just finalized an order of an Arakawa Firecat - lil performance fish with a tail channel. Stoked and hope the board goes as smooth as the order process was - phone call with the shaper, clear timely email follow-up, and an estimated delivery date. It's gonna look similar to dis:
B2702292-B2A1-420A-9D05-AA8C64F63F66.jpg
1660192068916.png

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean

20.5” x 2-3/8”
+Concave deck
Sanded finish
FCS Fusion x 2
Beware. I started ordering a 5'6 Delta-V Fish in Dark Arts, part of this recent batch that Justin just finished.
One week later, after a brief exchange of emails, I had ordered two more boards from him. 5'6 DA Superchunk and a 7'6 2+1 PU Clandestino in dark green resin tint.
My first alternative board was a Dark Cristal that he shaped to me 7 years ago and it was kind of an eye-opener at that time. His shapes breath charisma and feel so, so good.
His webpage is again permanently open in my laptop...

Mar 19, 2013
Beware. I started ordering a 5'6 Delta-V Fish in Dark Arts, part of this recent batch that Justin just finished.
One week later, after a brief exchange of emails, I had ordered two more boards from him. 5'6 DA Superchunk and a 7'6 2+1 PU Clandestino in dark green resin tint.
My first alternative board was a Dark Cristal that he shaped to me 7 years ago and it was kind of an eye-opener at that time. His shapes breath charisma and feel so, so good.
His webpage is again permanently open in my laptop...
Oh man this is dangerous. I have a 5'4 ML Superchunk that might be the funnest board i have ever ridden. Want to size up a little and hadnt been possible for a few years. Whats the cost for one of these?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
any suggestions of places with some selection of yolo boards? Not looking for hpsb waves always stink
For alt craft, Mollusk is the ultimate yolo brick and mortar in Orange Co and SF Bay Area. Online, I have flirted with YOLOing a Gato Heroi from Wild Things Gallery in Byron Bay, OZ. That would be a mic drop YOLO for someone from the states.

• Love