Yet another shark attack…

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
It was just a theory. Chomping down repeatedly would certainly be different than how we all usually expect sharks to act (bite once, decide they don't like and release).

Reactions: Boneroni and _____

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Does anyone else think a lot more about sharks as they get older? I never thought twice about them when I was a kid, but as an adult I have not paddled out because I was thinking "nope, that's asking for it."
Yes. I used to snorkel all over the Central coast. Swim in the waves. Shoot from the water at some sketchy spots and been chased out by the landlord right in San Simeon. Never ever thought about it when I was younger.

But over the years, we've had a lot of increased sightings from San Simeon down to Pt. Sal. And in San Simeon, the seal population has exploded to over 10,000.

Sometime in my late 30s after getting chased out by a gray tank with fins, I no longer snorkel and free swim this area. I will still paddle out by myself if the surf is good though. So go figure. Lol

Shark Cafe in San Simeon

1660269810514.png

1660269795184.png

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have always told my wife and kids, that if I get killed by a Great White, I'm fine with that. It's a good way to kick the bucket(IMO). It sure beats a long hospital stay or extended disease, plus it's a good story for the grandkids.
I know a guy who was close friends with a guy who got taken.

He didn't think it was a cool story, nor did his widow.

I think it's better than being mauled by a bear, but have you ever considered the various ways you would die from being attacked by a shark?

None of them are pleasant. At all.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I still dive the same spots but no longer keep fish on my hip stringer. For some reason I’m more spooked in perfectly clear water than milky haze or silty. And yeah unless your head is bitten clean off it would pretty much suck to get eaten while maintaining any level of consciousness.

Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Yes. I used to snorkel all over the Central coast. Swim in the waves. Shoot from the water at some sketchy spots and been chased out by the landlord right in San Simeon. Never ever thought about it when I was younger.

But over the years, we've had a lot of increased sightings from San Simeon down to Pt. Sal. And in San Simeon, the seal population has exploded to over 10,000.

Sometime in my late 30s after getting chased out by a gray tank with fins, I no longer snorkel and free swim this area. I will still paddle out by myself if the surf is good though. So go figure. Lol

Shark Cafe in San Simeon

View attachment 135758

View attachment 135757
Just curious were you north or south of pico de gallo when the grey tank took a look?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Just curious were you north or south of pico de gallo when the grey tank took a look?
833 yards south. Lefts off a submerged rock. Summer south swell. Overcast sometimes clear, then foggy again conditions. We'd already been out for 2 hours when we saw the big fin swimming around a rock that was inside of us, in about 4' of water.

I was swimming with waterhousing and more in awe and didn't swim in right away. My buddy on the other hand, paddled right past me and was on the beach in 2 seconds. Then I had the longest swim of my life.:roflmao:

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I have spent a great deal of time pondering this and my decision is still the same. There is no correct answer btw.

I would much rather be killed by a large shark than mauled by a large bear or lion.

That is just my conclusion. YMMV?

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Just watched Jaws. What a flick! I was like 6 yo the first time I saw it on tv. At a friends house. Riding my bike home, I thought jaws was going to up through the asphalt.

it’s weird, I’m more fearful on land or on a boat, than in water.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I have spent a great deal of time pondering this and my decision is still the same. There is no correct answer btw.

I would much rather be killed by a large shark than mauled by a large bear or lion.

That is just my conclusion. YMMV?
Shark & hopefully drown quickly if not from blood loss.

dont bears like incapacitate/immobilize you and eat a little, hide/bury and then come back for more?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Shark & hopefully drown quickly if not from blood loss.

dont bears like incapacitate/immobilize you and eat a little, hide/bury and then come back for more?
I think it's diff with every bear. If they're pissed, then they prob just going to slice you from head to toe with their claws, then start crunching bones.

Forest in Finland

Reactions: rowjimmytour
Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
833 yards south. Lefts off a submerged rock. Summer south swell. Overcast sometimes clear, then foggy again conditions. We'd already been out for 2 hours when we saw the big fin swimming around a rock that was inside of us, in about 4' of water.

I was swimming with waterhousing and more in awe and didn't swim in right away. My buddy on the other hand, paddled right past me and was on the beach in 2 seconds. Then I had the longest swim of my life.:roflmao:
Weird. Not long ago I was surfing there and I sh!t you not a dude on a jet board was doing laps and came within 10' of me... while 8 cal poly kids all wearing hoods stood on the bluff and watched.

• Haha

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Weird. Not long ago I was surfing there and I sh!t you not a dude on a jet board was doing laps and came within 10' of me... while 8 cal poly kids all wearing hoods stood on the bluff and watched.
:roflmao:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Everybody is pissed at us.

Everything with two legs, OUT of the ocean!

Or else.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
you all'z gonna die off ~ some-time.
hahaha...

f**k off + die, already, ya F**kerz, hehehehehe!

i type this as i take a break from lookin' for GWS to jump outta thee loc' waterz off Los Angeles,
on this Friday another hot summer day in thee year of 2022, yow!
bye~bye!
:shark:
randy