XTR

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Had a stumps epoxy with black rails and they were a dark purple. Same with my buddys luv u long time Hayden shape
Like 10 years ago I had an Allan Gibbons pu/ epoxy that was plain white but in the right light it had a bright purple hue. I even had people comment on it. Someone got a little heavy handed with the optical brightener I guess.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ordered a 6’2 moonstone yesterday. I emailed the guys at XTR first to find out how to order and they told me to select any other model on their site and then put moonstone in the custom model field.

Do they typically reach out to people before starting the process?
In my experience they don't really reach out on the start unless there is a comment you added that they need more info on. I usually have some dialog back/forth before ever submitting the order than they contact me back when the board is ready for pickup. They have a status chart on their website they update every week or 2. Its not always accurate, but its nice to see the order documented somewhere and get a rough idea what stage its in.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
In my experience they don't really reach out on the start unless there is a comment you added that they need more info on. I usually have some dialog back/forth before ever submitting the order than they contact me back when the board is ready for pickup. They have a status chart on their website they update every week or 2. Its not always accurate, but its nice to see the order documented somewhere and get a rough idea what stage its in.
Thanks. I ended up tweaking the dims a bit and emailed them about it and they got back to me to confirm. It’s now listed on their status chart, so the wait begins!

Did you tell them where to put the Album logos and which ones you wanted, or do they just do whatever? I never discussed that part of it with them.

Reactions: trifish

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Did you tell them where to put the Album logos and which ones you wanted, or do they just do whatever? I never discussed that part of it with them.
never ordered xtr but you should be able to spec lams as long as the shapers can provide them.

But - try and get them not to do the xtr 10.0 rail lams, lol.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
never ordered xtr but you should be able to spec lams as long as the shapers can provide them.

But - try and get them not to do the xtr 10.0 rail lams, lol.
Lol yeah I definitely specified that I wanted the xtr lams on the bottom. they do give you the option for that

Reactions: Aruka
Jul 15, 2008
Can someone make a comparison between Dark Arts and XTR?

I´m considering ordering a Moonstone in XTR.

Thanks!

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Can someone make a comparison between Dark Arts and XTR?

I´m considering ordering a Moonstone in XTR.

Thanks!
Very different builds. XTR uses closed cell extruded foam and laminates by hand using traditional methods with or without a stringer. Dark Art uses eps foam and vacuum bags carbon onto the skin of the entire board.

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks. I´m familiar with both constructions, but what about the feeling of the board? What would be your insights if you had to compare the same model in both constructions?

Reactions: JDJ

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks. I´m familiar with both constructions, but what about the feeling of the board? What would be your insights if you had to compare the same model in both constructions?
Dark Artistry is the corkiest surfboard you'll ever find. Crazy light. Ik people on this forum have ordered some as step ups, but I would only consider it for a groveler/daily driver.

XTR is a bit less corky, seems to handle chop a bit better especially with the stronger glassing option. I would say XTR is more versatile. Dark Arts is really cool obviously, but I'm not completely convinced it's worth the extra $400 or whatever. Why not Varial? I think XTR for groveling and daily driver, Varial for good wave driver and step up, and PU for guns would be about the best.