XTR

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
This is helpful stuff. The impact test on the 10 foam looks cool - but it does seem like it would feel much stiffer than a normal board. 10 normal sounds like pu weight but stiffer. 10c sounds lighter than pu but more give than the 10 normal.

Reactions: emmohl80

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
was around the corner for work, so stopped in to ask Shey a couple q's about my imminent GMM2 order. He confirmed that the SL-C is going to be stiffer then SL... but not necessarily make it much stronger or help prevent breakage (other than the effect of not flexing as much obviously). He said the strength is in the glassing schedule. Duh. Makes sense. LOL
They also had a sick 5'9 twinsman in SL-C that didn't get colored so is on the stoke rack. Was tempted for a hot sec. Had to get out of there.

edit: Oh, and some hot goss for the Tomo-heads. He intimated that they may revisit their agreement with Dan in the future. He got the impression all those XTR orders didn't exactly translate into Oz customs direct from Dan like maybe DT had thought they would when he unilaterally ended it. Fingers crossed.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
which of the "10" constructions would feel most like a stock poly? Just the regular 10? 10c?
i haven't weighed any of mine to really compare. i have some 8c's, an 8 and a 10.

i think the 8c's are a little lighter than most stock PU boards. the 8 i have is a stringered midlength. it feels about like a pu middy. maybe a little lighter. the 10 i have is an SLC Disco. the weight feels perfect for what I like in a shortboard. pretty similar to a PU I think but like I said I haven't weighed any of them.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

edit: Oh, and some hot goss for the Tomo-heads. He intimated that they may revisit their agreement with Dan in the future. He got the impression all those XTR orders didn't exactly translate into Oz customs direct from Dan like maybe DT had thought they would when he unilaterally ended it. Fingers crossed.
Excellent news. I hope they work it out.

Aug 30, 2020
hex.com
was around the corner for work, so stopped in to ask Shey a couple q's about my imminent GMM2 order. He confirmed that the SL-C is going to be stiffer then SL... but not necessarily make it much stronger or help prevent breakage (other than the effect of not flexing as much obviously). He said the strength is in the glassing schedule. Duh. Makes sense. LOL
They also had a sick 5'9 twinsman in SL-C that didn't get colored so is on the stoke rack. Was tempted for a hot sec. Had to get out of there.

Was it a slightly beefy 5'9? I have a color dipped on order.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Was it a slightly beefy 5'9? I have a color dipped on order.
Yeah, could've been. Felt thick but I don't remember the dims, but I thought it could work for me even though I've ridden 5'10 in previously and also since XTR foam feels like it floats better IMO. Felt like it would be faaassssttt.

damn, GMM2 and a Manny on order. Oeste's gonna have a nice Christmas
GMM2 not ordered but is a definite future order to upsize from my too small 5'6. Just doing my own research so I don’t order wrong

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Anybody ever go team glassing?

I've had a stringered 8.0 which felt too stiff, a parallel carbon 8.c which felt too light and a stringered 8.c which felt heavier than the PC but still too light for my tastes. Was thinking of going 10.team since the foam is stronger (also heavier?) than 8.

Maybe just go stringered 10.c

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anybody ever go team glassing?

I've had a stringered 8.0 which felt too stiff, a parallel carbon 8.c which felt too light and a stringered 8.c which felt heavier than the PC but still too light for my tastes. Was thinking of going 10.team since the foam is stronger (also heavier?) than 8.

Maybe just go stringered 10.c
I've gone team glassing. It was one of the blue foam stringer/kevlar builds, i forget what the name was. Liked the board, really nice flex and spring. Definitely lightweight though and not as bomber as the other XTR boards I've had. If parallel carbon 8.c felt too light I think stringered team would feel too light. I've come to prefer a little heavier board for most situations in the past few years. I think the SL-C 10 feels great with a nice balance of weight and flex. Definitely can feel more flex than a stringered board. Flex value says 5 on the board and that seems right. 10.c stringered is probably a safe bet though too.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
XTR will also do custom layups, e.g., 444 all S cloth, 44x6, 64x4, etc.. You do not need to order 10.c or 10.0. There are more options.

Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I've gone team glassing. It was one of the blue foam stringer/kevlar builds, i forget what the name was. Liked the board, really nice flex and spring. Definitely lightweight though and not as bomber as the other XTR boards I've had. If parallel carbon 8.c felt too light I think stringered team would feel too light. I've come to prefer a little heavier board for most situations in the past few years. I think the SL-C 10 feels great with a nice balance of weight and flex. Definitely can feel more flex than a stringered board. Flex value says 5 on the board and that seems right. 10.c stringered is probably a safe bet though too.
I also had team on a blue high density stringered Tomo, which felt like it was about to snap during every surf. So I sold before that happened. I doubt it would have been the same with a stringer.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
XTR will also do custom layups, e.g., 444 all S cloth, 44x6, 64x4, etc.. You do not need to order 10.c or 10.0. There are more options.
oh yeah, this reminds me I actually went 4+4 x 4+4 on my Plasmid. i figured a little extra glass on the bottom wouldn't hurt the twin fin install. i like this schedule for my step ups. dents on the deck don't bother me but bottom dents are triggering. the weight feels good. I think i went normal 10.0 on the Disco, whatever that schedule is (646?).

Reactions: oeste858 and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think 10.0 is 64 on deck and 4 on bottom.

The xtr website had some confusing info re 10.0, where it said that 10.0 could be either 646 or 644.

My GMM2 is 64 deck and 4 bottom and I like the weight but I’m not looking for some super light bort.

Reactions: Aruka