XTR

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
New foam looks mighty impressive and maybe get away with a lighter glass job or stringerless?

However, I'm still praying the Lightbender I have in process gets the 6x6x6 layup I ordered! My first xtr didn't get the heavy glass job I ordered, but the second one sure did and feels like a gunsafe as far as durability (not weight!)

Reactions: ReForest
Aug 30, 2020
hex.com
I ordered a XTR Lost Hydra for my girlfriend and it was delivered right before our small wave trip to Southern Morocco. Sprayed 'Vintage Green". Came out flawless. Order #7573. I think it just may be XTR10 because there isn't a pressure dent on the thing after 2 weeks surfing twice a day.

As a vacation surfer living in Germany, she typically has trouble catching small waves on her 31 liter hypto krypto the first 2 weeks of the trip. This one is 5'8, 21.5, 2.56. ~35 liters or so and she's finally catching 4/5 waves she paddles on the first day. Maybe she just needed more volume, but its a beautiful board and she's stoked with it and progressed quite a bit on this trip.

I'm eagerly awaiting a XTR 5 '9 Twinsman ordered mid Sept, ya'll 'forced' me to yolo after reading the entire Album thread.

And I'm low key looking for another XTR groveller for myself for next summer. Any rec's? Plasmid? I have an XTR Pyzalien2 for just about everything except big and punchy waves, but I'm looking for more glide in the weaker stuff. Stealing the hydra isn't an option. :p

Attachments

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I ordered a XTR Lost Hydra for my girlfriend and it was delivered right before our small wave trip to Southern Morocco. Sprayed 'Vintage Green". Came out flawless. Order #7573. I think it just may be XTR10 because there isn't a pressure dent on the thing after 2 weeks surfing twice a day.

As a vacation surfer living in Germany, she typically has trouble catching small waves on her 31 liter hypto krypto the first 2 weeks of the trip. This one is 5'8, 21.5, 2.56. ~35 liters or so and she's finally catching 4/5 waves she paddles on the first day. Maybe she just needed more volume, but its a beautiful board and she's stoked with it and progressed quite a bit on this trip.

I'm eagerly awaiting a XTR 5 '9 Twinsman ordered mid Sept, ya'll 'forced' me to yolo after reading the entire Album thread.

And I'm low key looking for another XTR groveller for myself for next summer. Any rec's? Plasmid? I have an XTR Pyzalien2 for just about everything except big and punchy waves, but I'm looking for more glide in the weaker stuff. Stealing the hydra isn't an option. :p
where do you usually surf? Europe?

Gremlin could be a great option, XL dims for more glide. or a 5'8 GMM2....

Last edited:

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Just got my stock 5'6 XTR Album Plasmic ordered in September. Came out really good. I wasn't expecting it to be XTR10 because it was cut well before XTR10 announcement, but it is! So what's funny is that the packaging was a mix of EPS and XPS foam. EPS looks like it was reused from previously existing packaging while the XPS is clearly scraps from their board cuts. XPS foam is just so much tougher/stronger/resilient in every way. It's like an unintended ad for their tech.

Jun 21, 2021
@tywoods I do have a GMM2 in 5'6.
I live in the Netherlands. I use it as a groveler for North Atlantic beach breaks up to 4-5 ft.
For my home breaks (the North Sea) I use the GMM2 more as a daily driver (3-5 ft mush). For smaller days I prefer a shorter fish shape which fits better in the pocket.

Reactions: tywoods
Aug 30, 2020
hex.com
@tywoods I do have a GMM2 in 5'6.
I live in the Netherlands. I use it as a groveler for North Atlantic beach breaks up to 4-5 ft.
For my home breaks (the North Sea) I use the GMM2 more as a daily driver (3-5 ft mush). For smaller days I prefer a shorter fish shape which fits better in the pocket.
Right on, I defiantly don't need another DD. Thanks,

Jun 21, 2021
Right on, I defiantly don't need another DD. Thanks,
Don't understand me wrong. It all depends were you mostly surf in Europe. The GMM2 is an excellent groveler for the beach breaks in Les Landes or Portugal and will also be useful on the point breaks. But when you are looking for a groveler for the North Sea I would suggest another type of board. So the question is: where will you use your groveler?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have to also say that I’ve loved the XTR construction. They do feel bulletproof. I’m reluctantly going to sell a couple soon because I can’t ride 5’5s and 5’6s anymore. Aside from trademark yellowing on the clear one, the boars are in great shape after years of use. Still feel lively and responsive.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Picked up a sunburned and very VERY yellowed original Psyko at 5'8". Compared to my GMM2, the coloring is like a 1910 vintage Chardonnay with some carrot juice in it versus a 2022 Evian water.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Nice bort Aruka! Did you ask for light grey? That's a lighter version of the color of my Pyzel Astro Pop I got through XTR and I asked for medium grey.

I wonder if it's the epoxy brightener they use? When I ordered a grey board through Varial and mentioned my concerns that metamerism may make it look purple in sunlight, they said they'd not use the brightener and voila! my first grey epoxy bort.