XTR

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Hi guys thinking of jumping on the Album Plasmic bandwagon with an XTR version. Reading through this thread I was thinking of trying the stringered blank with 8C glassing. I’m a larger person 6’1 x 190 lb. Any advice on flex and stringer/no stringer option?

Reactions: parkiteric

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Was thinking of bailing on Varial for the next couple. Maybe parallel carbon for a bit more flex. Any issues? They say they tune it to the individual rider...does that mean narrower or wider carbon?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Was thinking of bailing on Varial for the next couple. Maybe parallel carbon for a bit more flex. Any issues? They say they tune it to the individual rider...does that mean narrower or wider carbon?
I believe they add more/ less of the CF strings in each band. IIRC Shey had said it’s really for stiffness (flex) rather than increasing durability against breaking. He said that PC build didn’t quite take off like they had hoped and he was trying to push Javier to SL-C for a cleaner look with similar functionality

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest didnt your parallel carbon snap the nose off in the first few surges?
Sure did. Probably my 3rd or 4th surf. It really pissed me off at the time! Luckily i found the piece when it washed up on the rocks at lowers. If I would have had a stringer i don't think it would have snapped off that easily. Jerry at XTR did a nice job on the repair and you couldnt even tell.

Now that I've had an El Tomo in parallel carbon and an El Tomo with a wooden stringer--i must admit that the parallel carbon felt better.

@MrSteve I talked with Javier while he was glassing some boards a while back, and he said he does put wider carbon strips on different boards to control the flex. I watched as he applied the lams to the bottom of the tail according to the flex he feels appropriate. Making boards seems like such a rewarding job. I'd love to give it a try and some point in my life.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Sure did. Probably my 3rd or 4th surf. It really pissed me off at the time! Luckily i found the piece when it washed up on the rocks at lowers. If I would have had a stringer i don't think it would have snapped off that easily. Jerry at XTR did a nice job on the repair and you couldnt even tell.

Now that I've had an El Tomo in parallel carbon and an El Tomo with a wooden stringer--i must admit that the parallel carbon felt better.

@MrSteve I talked with Javier while he was glassing some boards a while back, and he said he does put wider carbon strips on different boards to control the flex. I watched as he applied the lams to the bottom of the tail according to the flex he feels appropriate. Making boards seems like such a rewarding job. I'd love to give it a try and some point in my life.

three fidy....

Defroster kine...

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest and sh3

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Well I lost the email/password combo my last handle was on but I just pulled the trigger on a custom PUNKsanity (small wave tuned insanity). I went with heavy duty 6x6x6 oz. 8.0 glassing with wood stringer, the same lay-up i ordered on a Ledge i got back in May. I have no issues or complaints about the heavy glassing. My 6'5" Ledge is lighter than both my 5'11 buzzsaw and 5'7 no friends in CFT. My Ledge does have more dents and footwells than my CFTs that are significantly older but It personally feels a little more lively even for being so big. Also bashed the nose into some cobblestones 3 feet below under a 10 ft barrel section in CR but got the smallest crack that wouldve shattered another construction. It was nice that the glass didnt spider crack allover the place and stayed relatively localized to the impact area which made repair literally a 15 minute job. Based off my experience with XTR I would tell you don't be scared of extra glass, I don't believe in all that flex stuff lol, do some squats and calf presses!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Well I lost the email/password combo my last handle was on but I just pulled the trigger on a custom PUNKsanity (small wave tuned insanity). I went with heavy duty 6x6x6 oz. 8.0 glassing with wood stringer, the same lay-up i ordered on a Ledge i got back in May. I have no issues or complaints about the heavy glassing. My 6'5" Ledge is lighter than both my 5'11 buzzsaw and 5'7 no friends in CFT. My Ledge does have more dents and footwells than my CFTs that are significantly older but It personally feels a little more lively even for being so big. Also bashed the nose into some cobblestones 3 feet below under a 10 ft barrel section in CR but got the smallest crack that wouldve shattered another construction. It was nice that the glass didnt spider crack allover the place and stayed relatively localized to the impact area which made repair literally a 15 minute job. Based off my experience with XTR I would tell you don't be scared of extra glass, I don't believe in all that flex stuff lol, do some squats and calf presses!
CFT medium or light? Have you tried DFT and can you compare if so?

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The buzzsaw is CFT medium but not sure on the NF, probably medium as its still almost new condition too (2nd owner) Both have 5 fin boxes vs. 2 on the ledge so thats to be noted.

I feel like my stretchs hardly dent compared to any other construction and feel pretty bulletproof, but I like the piece of mind of xtr's closed cell foam. CFT and the XTR 8.0 feel pretty similar, in hand at least. I think they're all too different of shapes and volumes for a true comparison ride wise. the cft maybe spider cracks a little more aggressively when dinged on the rail or rock, but XTR dents a little more. Haven't felt up a DFT before.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
three fidy....

Defroster kine...
I thought about getting that. Its my perfect size. But I only have 1 or 2 sets of the old FCS fins. Bummer.
I'm actually picking up a stock 5'4 Nano in Futures this weekend from a guy in San Diego. Gonna re-live the past all over again.

:jamon::jamon:

Reactions: jkb and SD_Dan

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
pretty good lost PJ for a bigger guy in stock boards.- said custom color mix up but looks great to me

Reactions: trifish and SD_Dan

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I thought about getting that. Its my perfect size. But I only have 1 or 2 sets of the old FCS fins. Bummer.
I'm actually picking up a stock 5'4 Nano in Futures this weekend from a guy in San Diego. Gonna re-live the past all over again.

:jamon::jamon:
Have you considered reliving the recent past by slightly tweaking the dims on a GMM2? A 5'8 could be a really good fit for you. Bit of extra foam, more glide, could be really sick. Plus it's basically Christmas already...

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I've just got a deal on a Nano in my old guy/midlength dims as well. Stocked to re-visit the past (Retropete ain't just a cool handle). Christmas...geez that snuck up quick. I hear Gaz is offering express shipping to the US, Guaranteed to arrive before Christmas and free insurance on customs.
:dancing:

• Love
Reactions: jkb and ReForest