XTR

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
For whatever it might be worth, I just cleaned these and they form an interesting comparison.

First board is one year old and used a lot. GMM2. It hasn't yellowed much at all, if any really. Looks pretty sparkly white to me. There are plenty of foot dents in there you simply can't see in this light.

Second board is three years old and used a lot. RNV4. This was before XTR started using (what I'm told, for whatever that's worth!) a non-yellowing epoxy. You can see how the wax kept certain parts from getting as yellow as the non-waxed parts. This board has been beaten and abused. Nose has been snapped off and repaired, tail was kicked in and repaired, and it's got some deeeeep foot wells. Again you can't see that in this light. I like that.

Third board is a couple of weeks old. First stringered XTR board I've gotten in a while. So far I'm loving it. Used twice and there are some light dents. Give it time.

Pictures of the bottoms are in the Tomo MPH thread on something like page 1,538-1/2. Whatever.

Tomo Decks 8 31 2021.jpg

Jul 4, 2021
I have a normal Tomo Evo that goes amazing on smaller waves, might have to look into some of their more performance boards someday. They look awesome! Good news is my XTR Ghost just came in so it'll be awhile until that day haha

Reactions: SD_Dan and JDJ

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
For whatever it might be worth, I just cleaned these and they form an interesting comparison.

First board is one year old and used a lot. GMM2. It hasn't yellowed much at all, if any really. Looks pretty sparkly white to me. There are plenty of foot dents in there you simply can't see in this light.

Second board is three years old and used a lot. RNV4. This was before XTR started using (what I'm told, for whatever that's worth!) a non-yellowing epoxy. You can see how the wax kept certain parts from getting as yellow as the non-waxed parts. This board has been beaten and abused. Nose has been snapped off and repaired, tail was kicked in and repaired, and it's got some deeeeep foot wells. Again you can't see that in this light. I like that.

Third board is a couple of weeks old. First stringered XTR board I've gotten in a while. So far I'm loving it. Used twice and there are some light dents. Give it time.

Pictures of the bottoms are in the Tomo MPH thread on something like page 1,538-1/2. Whatever.

View attachment 115500
Ended up not using the GMM2, not because I didn't want to but because I ran out of time.

Of the two I used, the RNV4 was easily the best in barrels with the thruster allowing control and pivot. She's also my ol' gal, so there's something about "dancing with the gal who brung ya." The twin fin V4 was unreal, but I couldn't slow the damn thing down! I was barrel dodging - hopefully can get a few pics to show that (don't know honestly).

Pic of pic.jpgOnly got one picture so far, on the RNV4... and actually it's just a picture of a picture.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
How does the weight of a stringered blank XTR with 8c compare to other epoxy boards like firewire? I'd prefer to not go too light. Has anyone had any problems with XTR shipping? The cost of shipping is drastically less expensive than all other companies.

Reactions: JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
How does the weight of a stringered blank XTR with 8c compare to other epoxy boards like firewire? I'd prefer to not go too light. Has anyone had any problems with XTR shipping? The cost of shipping is drastically less expensive than all other companies.
my 8.C stringered RNF retro feels like something in between PU and a FW helium. personally I like it

Reactions: Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
XTR boards have been coming out pretty light lately. I think the stringerless XTR 8.C GMM2 was comparable to Firewire Helium build.
The XTR stringered with 8.C is a little heavier than stringerless but not by much. Its definitely lighter than LFT. The XTR builds are not as dense as Firewire. More materials are involved in the Firewire builds so even though they are light in weight, they are more dense than XTR (IMO).

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
You can go 8.0 if you don’t want it too light or ask Shey if they will put a layer of 6 oz on the deck or something.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You can go 8.0 if you don’t want it too light or ask Shey if they will put a layer of 6 oz on the deck or something.
I actually asked Javier about controlling the weight with glassing and he said 8.0 is extremely stiff. So you might counter the weight problem, but you'll have a stiff board.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
What I've done-with great success-is: increase glass-8.0 and drop to a flexier build for my weight, i.e. SL-CK RED. That's been a fantastic weight, feel and flex on all my XTRs. I've been getting boards from them for years and that's the winning formula for me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Personally, I would not go 8.0 on stringered unless it’s a step up. They had a stock hydronaut in the rack and it felt so heavy. 8C should be fine.
My stringerless ones are noticeably lighter than my stringered XTRs. Depends where/conditions you plan to surf it obviously, but for my typical spots, I prefer stringlerless (SL-C) 8.C for anything like a daily driver / avg wave boar.

Reactions: ReForest and donger

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think stringerless is definitely the way to go. I've been riding this helium SKX recently and the pop and flex feels so good! I really want to order an XTR in stringerless and see if it feels the same.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
You should try out the GMM2 model.
Dammit... you complete me, J.

By the way, all teed up to use my GMM2 at a strong spot* just north of me tomorrow. Hopefully there are *some* waves... tide looks to be super high, so could get swamped out.

*Not being cryptic. Not Surf Ranch. Not anywhere special, really.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Dammit... you complete me, J.

By the way, all teed up to use my GMM2 at a strong spot* just north of me tomorrow. Hopefully there are *some* waves... tide looks to be super high, so could get swamped out.

*Not being cryptic. Not Surf Ranch. Not anywhere special, really.
Just north of SB tomorrow? I doubt there will be much of anything before J-.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
What I've done-with great success-is: increase glass-8.0 and drop to a flexier build for my weight, i.e. SL-CK RED. That's been a fantastic weight, feel and flex on all my XTRs. I've been getting boards from them for years and that's the winning formula for me.
I was thinking this, but never tried it.
even the stringerless, no carbon nothing optiom just the blank but then beef up to 8.0 glassing.