XTR

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
hey all - just wanted to give an update. i picked up my custom pyzel phantom today from XTR. i looked over the board for about 10 minutes while picking it up. shey left the room and i went over everything frm the rails to the contours. and to be honest - the board looks good. no sand throughs, or anything of concern appearance wise. i took my board to my friends house after and we measured and everything came spot on in terms of dimensions. he took his square and checked out the fin placements for me as well and nothing wrong there as well. i know there's some good and bad feedback of xtr in this post - and we can go ahead and put my experience in the good bucket. i havent rode it yet as its stormy today - but hopefully in the next couple days i can take it out and give you all some feedback. so far so good!
ok thanks for the reassurance Javier

Oct 1, 2015
I've felt one of JJF's Ghosts at a friends house. It said 2.5 but those rails felt like 2 1/4 I rode in the 90s lol. Stringer felt 2.5 though.
This is super helpful. Knew pros go thin on rails, but when JJF posted his Dark Arts youtube clip, Had me thinking I was going to small on Epoxy boards. Just wondering Racer, now that you seem to be back to consistently riding PU and before that it was XTR, how much of a difference do you feel? To me XTR (Rusty Torsion Spring) feels like its a lot more "grounded in the water" than my EPS's, sort of what I'd think a Poly would. Haven't ridden poly in ages though

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is super helpful. Knew pros go thin on rails, but when JJF posted his Dark Arts youtube clip, Had me thinking I was going to small on Epoxy boards. Just wondering Racer, now that you seem to be back to consistently riding PU and before that it was XTR, how much of a difference do you feel? To me XTR (Rusty Torsion Spring) feels like its a lot more "grounded in the water" than my EPS's, sort of what I'd think a Poly would. Haven't ridden poly in ages though
So horny for PU now. It's all I'm ordering from here on out. I still have an FCD, a stretch and XTR ghost which are all keepers forever, but I'm going PU. It feels too good and the ones I've ordered are holding up well. I do have a varial on order though, never tried that before.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The rebound rate feels noticeably quicker on everything for me on my XTR's. Like rebounding on turns, duckdiving or even corking into some sets by sinking the tail and springing up on takeoff with a couple of paddles. Seems to spring back noticeably faster. Just more lively overall which helps me on some days, especially the ones I need to generate more speed. In Stronger surf I don't really need that much and there is something with PU that feels more grounded in the water and less disturbed. Personally I like both constructions but not for the same occasions. Maybe i'll venture out more in the future.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I've felt one of JJF's Ghosts at a friends house. It said 2.5 but those rails felt like 2 1/4 I rode in the 90s lol. Stringer felt 2.5 though.
As Maz discovered with his swallow tail Ghost the default mode of a thickness adjustment is to do a proportional rail adjustment - his came out with chunkier rails which in his situation didn't matter because he is happy with the way it works and the board was aimed at handling the lower end of the wave size range than his previous Ghost.

A proportional rail adjustment is probably want most people want anyway - if they are ordering a thinner than stock board, they probably expect the rails to be thinner too. However, the software can be made to do whatever we want. If say one wants extra thickness at the stringer to send volume up and help paddle into waves, but still want to retain the ability to bury the rail in deep driving turns, then I think they should ask for a thickness increase but keep the rails bladey. Increasing thickness at stringer also makes the board more resistant to snapping.

There are all these control points on the deck of the computer model which can be pulled up or down to adjust rails after the initial thickness resize is done. In the plan Pyzel posted on the blackbird Vs ghost thread there are 7 slices to play with - that's quite a lot for getting all sorts of rail adjustments. I imagine JJF would be getting all sorts of fine rail tuning adjustments.

I have never ordered a custom board by filling a form on the website so I don't know how communicative Pyzel or any of the other major manufacturers are to this sort of request. Also one would need a reference point such as existing model or had a good feel of a stock one in the same size.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
No" Proportional "in a custom shape

I have customers who request tappered rails on their 3 1/4" thick boards

Annd dey get them -
I've ridden 2 9/16 that went like crap and now have two that I love. Takes working with a good shaper and possibly a board or two to dial in.

With stumps, I found a rail profile I liked so when we went thicker ( :dancing: ) it still translated well.

I've ridden a couple of yours with thickness more than I'm used to and the rails still felt good.

Reactions: sh3

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Update.

Tried to surf the Ghost today and it just wasn't working for me. I've been losing weight lately and currently weigh 210 lbs. I couldn't sink a rail on the fat Ghost if my life depended on it. It's going on craigslist and will hopefully make someone heavier than me happy. Oh well. Life moves on.

This afternoon I went to the Patagonia store in Honolulu to get my wife a Christmas present. Walked over to the board rack to look at the FCD boards and I couldn't believe my eyes. They had a 7'0 HS round pin and a 6'6 Octo Quad marked down to $300 and $350. I thought I misread it and asked the worker if I understood it wrong. These boards that were listed at retail for $1000 and $900 are now being sold $300 and $350? He said they had some warehouse stock that needed to be cleared out and they were trying to move them.

I did the responsible thing and left them on the rack since I don't need more boards. Just kidding. I bought both of them. :shaka:

Edit: Pics for the curious

Attachments

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Life works in mysterious ways...those are some nice looking blades! Got some 90's hpsb vibes going, been missing the needle noses with all the offshores in my region recently!