XTR

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I was looking at this model a while ago. Curious where does this one fit in with your ghosts? What conditions would you reach for it over the ghost?
I use mine when I’m surfing waves bigger than I can ride my Ghost in. And when I need to move around a shifting lineup. Think of them as a step-up egg or midlength instead of a shortboard type of step-up. They have a fuller/wider outline, wide point forward and less rocker than a Ghost style board. They paddle great and help you cover ground paddling from peak to peak
0EFCD59A-DE39-41F9-8720-C77918CA6F8D.jpeg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes, they are perfect for chasing down waves or covering a lot of ground. Everybody in the lineup was on regular looking shortboards or step ups and I easily caught all the best and biggest waves. They paddle insane and can catch waves you think you can't. While they are designed for surfing bigger/steeper waves, I find that they also have some decent glide to them and they are still fun when the waves are smaller or at the end of the bigger waves. A step up egg or even a step up fish is a good description for them. I've gotten double overhead kegged on mine and done round houses on waist high waves as well. I'm 6'1 and mine is 6'6 x 38 liters.

As far as versus a ghost. Ghost would be for ledging or barreling waves where you sit in one spot and are trying to knife it or take off under the lip. FCD is for a bigger playing ground, lots of current, shifty peaks and/or fighting a crowd. I'm a little more confident on my F-Rocket because it paddles so well and can get me out of bad situations faster than the ghost.

If I found a 6'0 or 6'1 F-Rocket used, I'd sell my 6'1 ghost.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Honestly, sounds similar to the Blackbird the way it paddles well and covers a lot of ground quickly, and gets into waves early. Minus the step up-eggy part, obviously. Would actually probably be a better fit for the OH-DOH breaks I would surf here than the Ghost. I’ll keep an eye out for a used one

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Well, I guess I'm another unsatisfied customer from XTR. Won't order another.

Ordered a 6'5 Ghost in stock dims last April for this winter. Received it and put it in my racks. Didn't surf it during summer because it was supposed to be a step up for me. Didn't really look the board over besides waxing it and sticking a pad on.

Finally got around to surfing it the last couple weeks and something always felt off to me. I couldn't figure it out. The board would have flashes of brilliance and then back to struggling just to get it to turn. Something definitely felt off. When I first felt it over I noticed how thick the board is and how chunky the rails are. Finally, I compared my board to a friends PU Ghost from the Waialua factory and realized how much thicker the XTR Ghost is.

The board feels really thick and narrow and the rails feel really full. I'm almost positive that it is not supposed to be this way. It looks completely different when compared to my friend's Ghost in the same dims. Besides the extreme thickness, the board has a few sand throughs on the rail and tail. My brother borrowed the board one session and he even mentioned how thick it felt compared to all of his boards. For reference, my bro is 240 lbs and rides bigger boards. So his comment made me realize something was up.

I've now owned two XTRs and it appears the thickness issue is a running trend. My Psycho Killer had super fat rails and sand throughs. Chocked it up to a one off issue but it looks like it is something XTR does. I've scanned this message board and read a few instances of the rails or tail being way too thick. Someone here had a tail block on a Patterson that was way too thick. From what I can tell, the foam is hard to shape and cutting the rails and deck down is difficult.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
That looks thick but it's 3 inches. Is that really a stock thickness? Seems like a lot.
Yes. 3 inches is stock thickness. I wasn't too worried since I read the rails are really foiled on the Ghost.

I took a measurement of the board and it's roughly 3 7/16 inches thick at the stringer. Rails are just about 3 1/8 inches. Board looks much much thicker than my friend's Ghost that is the same size.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Yes. 3 inches is stock thickness. I wasn't too worried since I read the rails are really foiled on the Ghost.

I took a measurement of the board and it's roughly 3 7/16 inches thick at the stringer. Rails are just about 3 1/8 inches. Board looks much much thicker than my friend's Ghost that is the same size.
3 7/16?? Glass should add about 1/16"

How does that even happen? Clearly XTR didn't add almost half an inch of glass. How do you possibly cut a board to be 3" and end up with one that's 3.5" before glassing? Someone must have cut the wrong file - is that on XTR or Pyzel? Did the finishing shaper really not notice it was a half an inch thicker than it was supposed to be?

Last edited: