XTR

Jul 5, 2009
Your freaking about 2 weeks in? In a normal year, I've only occasionally seen my XTR boards pop on the order status in 2 weeks... let alone the busiest season ever...
I won't say emailing after two weeks is freaking, they practically did fucked up last my board, no matter what business you're in. ignoring a customer right after they paid is just bad practice.

Reactions: ReForest

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The foam does seem much harder to shape. They packed my last shipment with scrap foam and it seemed much different compared to PU.

The sand through on my ghost is on the rail and it is really small. But, something like that shouldn't be leaving the shop. It's like they didn't look the board over. My color came out fine. I've seen some people getting boards with weird colors. Thankfully I don't have major issues like some people here. The tech is solid but the process lacks QA.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Name an epoxy glass shop that has been doing epoxy longer than XTR? Or an epoxy glass shop that does more epoxy volume than XTR?

They're the best

They pay the shaper a cut from the total cost of the board. Javier said he tries to keep his cost low, so most of the money goes to the shaper. If there was a mishap, and they are discounting a board to keep a customer happy, that is a good thing! Not a red flag? What kind of logic is that/ daa daa daa dave? That dont make no sah sah sah sense! :crazy2:

Last edited:

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I’ve been riding a lot of XTR over the Summer/Fall, mainly on a Tomo path. Have a few ...Lost, Merricks, and many Tomos in parallel carbon, SLC, and FX2.

I’m very happy with them and overall find the finish quality good, and certainly better than most off the rack big name shapes I see around. Not absolutely perfect like the very few perfection shapers/glassers I’ve gotten boards from but better than most. Last batch of FX2 with color came out really well.

As far as performance I’m not sure how much I believe (for me) in flex with super short boards sub 5’6 or so. They have a nice weight to them and don’t seem to be too light/corky/lacking drive like some of the original Marko builds I tried. I do notice the yellowing, especially in some used SLCs I’ve been trying, which gives my daughter an excuse to get artsy. I wouldn’t order new XTR without color, but I frequently order color anyways.

I did snap a Parallel Carbon surprisingly easy and personally would stick with other builds especially for longer boards which will see real waves.

- M

Attachments

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Name an epoxy glass shop that has been doing epoxy longer than XTR? Or an epoxy glass shop that does more epoxy volume than XTR?

They're the best from what i've heard.

They pay the shaper a cut from the total cost of the board. Javier said he tries to keep his cost low, so most of the money goes to the shaper. If there was a mishap, and they are discounting a board to keep a customer happy, that is a good thing! Not a red flag? What kind of logic is that/ daa daa daa dave? That dont make no sah sah sah sense! :crazy2:
Javi deserves credit for being an early-days innovator in surfboard construction, no doubt.

These days Javi isn't glassing the boards, he's training people to do it. If the good ones don't stick around you lose institutional knowledge and quality suffers. His prices are low and he might be losing people because he isn't paying as much as other glassing shops, or the working conditions are unfavorable, etc. I have no idea.

FWIW this thread got me paranoid and I measured and inspected the fin boxes on both of mine and they are perfectly fine. I also looked them over and didn't notice any sand throughs (there might be some, but if there are they aren't obvious). The carbon strips aren't perfectly parallel but you can hardly tell without busting out a ruler.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I’ve been riding a lot of XTR over the Summer/Fall, mainly on a Tomo path. Have a few ...Lost, Merricks, and many Tomos in parallel carbon, SLC, and FX2.

I’m very happy with them and overall find the finish quality good, and certainly better than most off the rack big name shapes I see around. Not absolutely perfect like the very few perfection shapers/glassers I’ve gotten boards from but better than most. Last batch of FX2 with color came out really well.

As far as performance I’m not sure how much I believe (for me) in flex with super short boards sub 5’6 or so. They have a nice weight to them and don’t seem to be too light/corky/lacking drive like some of the original Marko builds I tried. I do notice the yellowing, especially in some used SLCs I’ve been trying, which gives my daughter an excuse to get artsy. I wouldn’t order new XTR without color, but I frequently order color anyways.

I did snap a Parallel Carbon surprisingly easy and personally would stick with other builds especially for longer boards which will see real waves.

- M
Gorgeous boards. Ive never ridden the FX construction (too expensive) but it they look super good!
I wont be ordering parallel carbon anymore either. I dont like the feel of it. The best build is HD Blue stringer, with carbon strip on top and bottom.

Reactions: JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Name an epoxy glass shop that has been doing epoxy longer than XTR?
LOL

Sailboards were being glassed with epoxy nearly 4 decades ago.

Then there was that nobody surfer/shaper, Greg Loehr, who started doing epoxy back in the early 80s.

Or an epoxy glass shop that does more epoxy volume than XTR?
Your favorite, Firewire, and all the other Thai factories that glass boards for Lost, JS, Super, etc.

Other than that, off the top of my head, I can think of at least one glasshop I could take an semieducated guess does a shitload of epoxy but I don't know their numbers so I won't say.

I don't know if there are any other epoxy specific surfboard glass shops in CA, but it is worth considering XPS is their marquee product and this might factor into that decision to remain exclusively epoxy.

They're the best
Apparently not, judging by this thread.

And there are other glass shops doing great epoxy glassjobs.

I know this because I've had boards from them.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You cant name one, because there isnt a shop that has been doing epoxy consistently for the past 30 years in. XTR is the only place in california that has been doing epoxy that long.

Just like @ehiunno said, Javier is an early innovator. He has been playing with epoxy and extruded foam for decades.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You cant name one, because there isnt a shop that has been doing epoxy consistently for the past 30 years in.
There's a nobody who goes by the name "Stretch" who has indeed been doing so.

Glassers and glasshops have been tinkering with epoxy surfboards for decades - since before Javier, Loehr, etc were using it.

Pretty sure that for many years Javier was also doing polys along with his epoxy, just like other glass shops.

XTR is the only place in california that has been doing epoxy that long.
LOL

False.

You are very wrong about that.

Just like @ehiunno said, Javier is an early innovator. He has been playing with epoxy and extruded foam for decades.
OK...did I say otherwise?

Is that what makes Epoxy Pro "the best"?

Doe Ford make the best car because they've been doing it for a long time?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
FCD has been around a while and does exclusively epoxy/XPS(same foam as XTR and they don’t seem to have a problem shaping it) and they come out way better than XTRs. Their finished product is literally flawless. I’ve had a over a dozen from them, all with color and they have all been impeccable. Each of those are resin tinted, not sprayed. I’d easily put FCD and Dark Arts way above XTR for quality epoxy work. 0B7FC45C-D676-47B7-A25D-7CED284A18F0.jpeg

Nov 25, 2020
FCD has been around a while and does exclusively epoxy/XPS(same foam as XTR and they don’t seem to have a problem shaping it) and they come out way better than XTRs. Their finished product is literally flawless. I’ve had a over a dozen from them, all with color and they have all been impeccable. Each of those are resin tinted, not sprayed. I’d easily put FCD and Dark Arts way above XTR for quality epoxy work. View attachment 102685
Yeah, but they ain't doing no lost or pyzel shapes

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Yeah, but they ain't doing no lost or pyzel shapes
You’re right...FCD doesn’t do Lost or Pyzels. They also don’t do gimmicks. No Flex Value, no blue foam, no striped taped passed off as carbon fiber. They just make solid shapes with stringered XPS blanks. They also do 3 layers of glass on the deck and 2 on the bottom. And they have the strictest QC. If you want epoxy Pyzels, do what I did and go with Dark Arts or
E-Tech(those are PU/epoxy and resin tinted grey)
2E8D9279-EAF4-4D2D-A6FB-A07C565CFC1B.jpeg
ADBF442F-01B5-429F-998A-EA2DBBC1BC29.jpeg

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
The only problem I have with FCD is they don't vent the decks and they are prone to delaminations if left in heat or the sun.
Yeah-They don’t, but I’ve never had a issue. I’d be more concerned about heat with the DAs. But again, no issues with those either. Common sense and not letting them bake in the sun, all good!

Reactions: casa_mugrienta