XTR

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I surfed my XTR ghost yesterday and decided to look closer at the board. Turns out there is some minor sand through in some areas. You can only see it if you look for it. I had the board for 8 months and never really paid much attention to it since I was surfing my Fever.

I do like the board but it is kind of ridiculous to drop $1K on a board that has exposed glass.

Nov 25, 2020
I surfed my XTR ghost yesterday and decided to look closer at the board. Turns out there is some minor sand through in some areas. You can only see it if you look for it. I had the board for 8 months and never really paid much attention to it since I was surfing my Fever.

I do like the board but it is kind of ridiculous to drop $1K on a board that has exposed glass.

That is concerning... what glassing level did you do? Also where was it ground down too far?

Nov 25, 2020
Still waiting for that discount code...anyone hear if they are doing that this year?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Still waiting for that discount code...anyone hear if they are doing that this year?
If I remember correctly they used to do the good one mid December before Christmas. Maybe something will pop up in the next few days. Sounds like they don't need to though with the spike of board orders everywhere.

Aug 27, 2015
I think I'm done with Epoxy Pros. I've had three Tomo XTRs and have had some major issues. The first was a SL-CK Tomo Sci-Phi that I bought off the rack from a local San Diego surf shop that had a contract with Epoxy Pros. Great board, actually. Surfed it for close to two years, but developed some significant delam at the heal-side of the tail. It felt like it was getting ready to buckle, so I ordered two new Tomo custom boards in parallel carbon from Epoxy Pros - an El Tomo, and the other I'm not supposed to say due to some contractual issues/rights, I guess.

I glanced them over when I picked them up, but I was told they were "QC'd" right before I picked them up, so I trusted that they were good. After a month of surfing the board that I cannot name, I kept feeling something was off, especially while surfing backside. I figured that I just needed to make some adjustments to my surfing. One day my son randomly looked at my board on my wall rack and said that the fins didn't look symmetrical. I looked at it closely and OMG they were really off! the two front fins (five fin futures) were not equal distances from the rails, and then I noticed the hips on the rails on each side were different distances from the tail. I took out a ruler, tape measurer, and laser level, and found that the toe angle of the front fins were not the same, and then found the back two fin boxes were not symmetrical with the front two, and none were centered with the center fin. I was freaking out and bummed. I sent Epoxy pros two emails, and called once, and never got a reply. I just gave up because I figured I had already been surfing it for a while, I was stuck with it, and I had a lot going on and just didn't want to deal with it. A bit lazy I guess, but I was just trying to get it out of my head.

I also went to a local surf shop and looked at the Firewire version of the same board and the fin placement, shape, rails, tail width thickness were significantly different. How can this happen when it comes from a computer file? I actually like the board, but it does that weird thing I originally felt sometimes. I think I mostly got used to it, but knowing of all the issues, it still bums me out. And, in addition to all of that, the same delam is developing where it did on my first board, and there are several sand throughs on the rails, with one cracking, and seemed hollow underneath. I cut it out and filled it with resin.

The fin boxes on the El Tomo are off also, but not nearly as bad as the other board. The parallel carbon on both boards aren't symmetrical, but again, the other board is worse. The symmetry and fin placement of the first Tomo (Sci-Phi), was pretty much perfect.

I'm now looking to get a Pyzel Shadow or Phantom, and have been thinking about giving XTR another try. But after going through this thread, I think I'm just going to get it from Pyzel. I don't trust the quality of Epoxy Pros now and don't trust that I'm getting the exact shape intended by the original shaper.

I've ordered a significant amount of custom boards over the years, mostly from Jamie Curren in San Diego, and I've never even thought of checking the boards to the point of bringing a ruler. I still have three Jamie Currens, and checked them all with a ruler, tape measurer and laser, after all this happened, and the symmetry and fin placement (glass on) are PERFECT. There are several reasons why I'm not getting another Jamie Curren at this time, but his boards are very well made.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm not trying to bitch, but just wanted to share my story. I do enjoy the boards, but I lost some trust for Epoxy Pros and think I'm just going to get the next one from Pyzel. I feel that there's a better chance of it coming out the way it should and without the issues I experienced with my XTRs.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Aysm fin placement is the next big thing!
but seriously, that stinks about the QC issues. Should definitely try again to call them and complain.

Reactions: Havoc

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I think I'm done with Epoxy Pros. I've had three Tomo XTRs and have had some major issues. The first was a SL-CK Tomo Sci-Phi that I bought off the rack from a local San Diego surf shop that had a contract with Epoxy Pros. Great board, actually. Surfed it for close to two years, but developed some significant delam at the heal-side of the tail. It felt like it was getting ready to buckle, so I ordered two new Tomo custom boards in parallel carbon from Epoxy Pros - an El Tomo, and the other I'm not supposed to say due to some contractual issues/rights, I guess.

I glanced them over when I picked them up, but I was told they were "QC'd" right before I picked them up, so I trusted that they were good. After a month of surfing the board that I cannot name, I kept feeling something was off, especially while surfing backside. I figured that I just needed to make some adjustments to my surfing. One day my son randomly looked at my board on my wall rack and said that the fins didn't look symmetrical. I looked at it closely and OMG they were really off! the two front fins (five fin futures) were not equal distances from the rails, and then I noticed the hips on the rails on each side were different distances from the tail. I took out a ruler, tape measurer, and laser level, and found that the toe angle of the front fins were not the same, and then found the back two fin boxes were not symmetrical with the front two, and none were centered with the center fin. I was freaking out and bummed. I sent Epoxy pros two emails, and called once, and never got a reply. I just gave up because I figured I had already been surfing it for a while, I was stuck with it, and I had a lot going on and just didn't want to deal with it. A bit lazy I guess, but I was just trying to get it out of my head.

I also went to a local surf shop and looked at the Firewire version of the same board and the fin placement, shape, rails, tail width thickness were significantly different. How can this happen when it comes from a computer file? I actually like the board, but it does that weird thing I originally felt sometimes. I think I mostly got used to it, but knowing of all the issues, it still bums me out. And, in addition to all of that, the same delam is developing where it did on my first board, and there are several sand throughs on the rails, with one cracking, and seemed hollow underneath. I cut it out and filled it with resin.

The fin boxes on the El Tomo are off also, but not nearly as bad as the other board. The parallel carbon on both boards aren't symmetrical, but again, the other board is worse. The symmetry and fin placement of the first Tomo (Sci-Phi), was pretty much perfect.

I'm now looking to get a Pyzel Shadow or Phantom, and have been thinking about giving XTR another try. But after going through this thread, I think I'm just going to get it from Pyzel. I don't trust the quality of Epoxy Pros now and don't trust that I'm getting the exact shape intended by the original shaper.

I've ordered a significant amount of custom boards over the years, mostly from Jamie Curren in San Diego, and I've never even thought of checking the boards to the point of bringing a ruler. I still have three Jamie Currens, and checked them all with a ruler, tape measurer and laser, after all this happened, and the symmetry and fin placement (glass on) are PERFECT. There are several reasons why I'm not getting another Jamie Curren at this time, but his boards are very well made.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm not trying to bitch, but just wanted to share my story. I do enjoy the boards, but I lost some trust for Epoxy Pros and think I'm just going to get the next one from Pyzel. I feel that there's a better chance of it coming out the way it should and without the issues I experienced with my XTRs.
That sucks so bad! I am a nervous wreak because I have 2 coming from them currently and reading a lot of bad here. I won't be able to eyeball them as they aren't local to me. I will most definitely ask them to QC but sounds like you can't count on a transparent answer. I had one from them a while back with a hard edge all the way to the nose on one side and even when I sanded it the board never clicked, never occurred to me to check fin placement but in hindsight I think that was probably off as well. I swore off but because I love the pop and durability I decided to return. I will post my experience as well. Best of luck that you get satisfaction somehow Kasteelfreak!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've complained on here about my boards having some issues, but I am getting ready to place another order. No shop is perfect, but a good shop will make things right and that is why XTR has been in business for over 30+ years. They always do whatever they can to make the customer happy.

I know they lost a couple guys to other trades or other companies (sanders mainly.) so maybe they are just going through an employee problem? I dont know for sure, but i am getting ready to place another order... so i trust them.

Going to order another El Tomo. I want to go an inch shorter and a little more narrow. So if anyone wants a lightly used 5'6 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 26L El Tomo Keel in good condition i have one. Asking $450.00.

And @casa_mugrienta ... i checked my boards and i only bought 3 boards this year. The 2 boards i got from Tomo in AUS and the El Tomo keel from a few months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifish and JDJ

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I also went to a local surf shop and looked at the Firewire version of the same board and the fin placement, shape, rails, tail width thickness were significantly different. How can this happen when it comes from a computer file?
To me this is the weirdest part. Everything else is unfortunate but this is just... strange.

I guess with a Tomo/FW there isn't really anyone shaping the FW version (or is there? I have no idea how they're made) but they would have to shape it at XTR which may lead to some differences. At least for Pyzel people in this thread have mentioned it's literally the same person doing the finish shaping on both XTR and not.

I thought this thread used to be mostly positive, now people are coming out of the woodwork with tons of issues. I'm happy with mine but I don't know what I would do now.

To me the biggest draw initially was that the foam was closed cell and has the environmental advantages of epoxy without the surfing downside of eps. I think it's possible to order from Pyzel through them with an XTR core. Might be the way I go if I get another one.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
They always do whatever they can to make the customer happy.
From my experience and others they seem to only do that sometimes.

I know they lost a couple guys to other trades or other companies (sanders mainly.) so maybe they are just going through an employee problem?
This is not a recent issue.

And @casa_mugrienta ... i checked my boards and i only bought 3 boards this year. The 2 boards i got from Tomo in AUS and the El Tomo keel from a few months ago.
Maybe it was an off year for you with corona.

What about last year?

Nov 25, 2020

Would you go electralite or whatever the pyzel version is?

Aug 27, 2015
I've complained on here about my boards having some issues, but I am getting ready to place another order. No shop is perfect, but a good shop will make things right and that is why XTR has been in business for over 30+ years. They always do whatever they can to make the customer happy.

I know they lost a couple guys to other trades or other companies (sanders mainly.) so maybe they are just going through an employee problem? I dont know for sure, but i am getting ready to place another order... so i trust them.

Going to order another El Tomo. I want to go an inch shorter and a little more narrow. So if anyone wants a lightly used 5'6 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 26L El Tomo Keel in good condition i have one. Asking $450.00.