XTR

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Just got off the phone with XTR and they're making me a new one and expediting the board's production. Shey was a benchmark of great customer service.
Glad to hear things worked out. Definitely going to have them make me some boards now sometime down the road (MC, Hydrodynamica).

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Not knocking you, because it seems like you are politely working to remedy your problem.....BUT, IMO, You’re lucky shapers still ghost this place. Looking from a shapers view, To hear of a customers board problems second hand via Erbb kinda sucks. They have phones. Call them.
Board makers are already up against bs opinions of how their boards work/built via internet and parking lot banter, high competition, increased regulations, covid, etc. the last thing they need are rumors because of a customers distaste, which may have increased because they rode the board multiple times, only to finally look it over after people in the know see some blemishes, and decide it really doesn’t work that well after all.
I don’t know, I’d say your pretty lucky to have Jon reply on a public forum and take ownership. Looking forward to a very positive review of your experience once it is taken care of.
my .02c out
Completely agree. Also, as someone who’s supposedly had shite tons of custom orders, how the f did you not look the board over at least once to find the “obvious” blems prior to surfing it multiple times? IMO, you’re lucky Pyzel has been so cool to offer a remedy. I hope XTR fixes the issue, but the whole situation seems...weird.

Reactions: ANIMA

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
As I've mentioned before, I've had boards that I've loved and had a copy made off the same file, glassed at the same factory and the new one didn't ride the same.
If you listen to the boardroom podcast with Javier someone posted here at some point, he claims this is because of variation in wood stringers. I have nowhere near enough experience to add any insight, but interesting to think about.

Stoked xtr is coming through for you, I hope the new one is sick.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I didn't notice either the poorly finished rail/edge until I'd surfed the board a handful of times. I shouldn't be responsible for QC'ing the board. Should I have asked to throw it up on a rack and check the bottom contours with a straight edge, calipers to make sure the thickness is correct, a laser to see if the blank is twisted, get out a fin layout square?

I assumed the inherent shape/finishing was accurate and wanted to surf my new board. I was trying various fin sets/combinations/configurations to get the board to perform it's best and not looking for errors in the finished board. I eventually discovered something that I knew was not correct. As I've mentioned before, I've had boards that I've loved and had a copy made off the same file, glassed at the same factory and the new one didn't ride the same. Having the intended rail/edge may or not improve the board's performance under my feet, but there is such a fine line between ok, good and magic boards, that I'm hoping for an improvement with a board as it was intentionally designed. Can I surf this board and do pretty much everything I can on one of my favorites, yes, but there is no denying the rail is not finished correctly and if that's the potential culprit for me not liking the board then I'm entitled to receive an accurate version of the model I paid for.
Yes, you are definitely not responsible for the QC of any board, I totally agree. But knowing I was spending some good dough on a new custom that I waited on for some time. Make sure it's right before you leave the shop. And, yes you should have asked to throw it up on a rack and melt over it! It's part of the process! that's what's so cool about picking a board up at a factory rather a surf shop, you get to see the whole burrito, the operation that is, and that typically stocks you even more! Have you done that you could've pointed those blems out, especially the one on the nose??? You didn't see that one??Oh man. If a board FEELS GOOD, and LOOKS GOOD, it stocks you up even more and mentally it usually rides good and feels even better! Screw the volume, thickness, dimensions, etc. if it feels good and is really close, it's a custom! That's why a custom is unique! If it ends up being magic then you are way up!

Chase, I really feel for your situation, anyones really in a similar position. I totally understand your disappointment and that's why I find it really awesome that the shaper stuck his neck out and is helping you out. I also thinking about the board makers and what they do and how they do it and how often things can be stlightly off, overshaped, sanded thru, wrong color, wrong glass, etc. So that is why I comment this way. Best to you! And I'll be waiting for that bitchen post on the follow up about your experience and hope it doesn't turn out like goodfish? and his mcneill? disaster.

Stocked for you that they are making it good! At least you got to try the model. Are you getting a different model then? Sticking with the same one? same dimensions? Would you change the order knowing now that the board you rode wasn't too hot for you? just curious, but you don't need to reply.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So if you melt over the board and see something you don't like you tell them nah, make me another?
Or you ask for your money back?
Just curious what you do if you don't think it's QC'd.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yes, you are definitely not responsible for the QC of any board, I totally agree. But knowing I was spending some good dough on a new custom that I waited on for some time. Make sure it's right before you leave the shop. And, yes you should have asked to throw it up on a rack and melt over it! It's part of the process! that's what's so cool about picking a board up at a factory rather a surf shop, you get to see the whole burrito, the operation that is, and that typically stocks you even more! Have you done that you could've pointed those blems out, especially the one on the nose??? You didn't see that one??Oh man. If a board FEELS GOOD, and LOOKS GOOD, it stocks you up even more and mentally it usually rides good and feels even better! Screw the volume, thickness, dimensions, etc. if it feels good and is really close, it's a custom! That's why a custom is unique! If it ends up being magic then you are way up!

Chase, I really feel for your situation, anyones really in a similar position. I totally understand your disappointment and that's why I find it really awesome that the shaper stuck his neck out and is helping you out. I also thinking about the board makers and what they do and how they do it and how often things can be stlightly off, overshaped, sanded thru, wrong color, wrong glass, etc. So that is why I comment this way. Best to you! And I'll be waiting for that bitchen post on the follow up about your experience and hope it doesn't turn out like goodfish? and his mcneill? disaster.

Stocked for you that they are making it good! At least you got to try the model. Are you getting a different model then? Sticking with the same one? same dimensions? Would you change the order knowing now that the board you rode wasn't too hot for you? just curious, but you don't need to reply.
I gave it too cursory of a feel up. A quick under the arm, a little shimmy from midpoint to about 12" from the nose and I was out of there. It was about 3:00 on a Monday afternoon and I wanted to avoid additional traffic back to LA. I've spent a lot of time in shaping rooms/factories, so checking out the operation at XTR wasn't a must see.

The nose blem came from an XTR employee placing the board on concrete while working on it with UV care resin, trying to add some material so he could try to improve the edge.

While it's awesome and I'm extremely appreciative that the shaper who created the design offered his team's help, the resolution was 100% XTR backing up their product.

They're making the exact same board for me, dimensions, flex value, color. I didn't ask for anything to be changed.

Jul 5, 2009
So I finally got to pick up my Lost 2.0 last Wednesday.

Ben, the sales manager at Lost, was able to track down all the emails exchange they had with XTR. Apparently, XTR took a few extra weeks to send out my board order to lost, and they were also a few weeks late on picking up the finished blanks, which is the reason behind the 6+ weeks delay. Ben was also kind enough to offer me a discount on my next board if I were to order from Lost again.

When I picked up the board, Javier told me the delay was still due to Lost... so there are some confusing fingers pointing back and forth... but overall, I'm still stoked on how the board turned out. I'm grateful that Shey and Javier stood behind their 8.0 buckling policy on my ghost and gave me a discount on this order.

the board did turn out a tiny bit thicker than I expect (3.55, but it looks thicker than my sampler that is 2 3/8), but with the more tapered outline towards the tail it hasn't been a huge issue, I'm thinking if I switch the fins to something with a little more hold it'll probably help the board sit in the water a little more as well. I'm still super stoked on the board so far, maybe I'll write a review on the 2.0 thread when I finally do get to give the board a proper go in decent waves!

Attachments

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Saw what I think is my Astro Pop remake on XTR's IG story this am. Looks more black and grey than the 1st version. Javier mentioned they're using a new "in demand" paint guy. I recall that Shey mentioned a few weeks ago that they were going to "fog" the rails to try to get them more black. It still may look more purple when it's in the sun as opposed to fluorescent light, which is not a big deal.

If it is my board (I'm 98% sure it is), I'm not thrilled their logo crept up on the rail to what looks like center. I had written on the original order form that I wanted the XTR logo the deck side off the black rail, just up front where a tail pad would go and supposedly they were attaching the original order sheet. It may be on both rails now. It's a minor thing, but just something I've never loved the looks of on XTR's. The first board had the logo placed correctly in relation to the tail, but it was on the black rail.

I'm confident they're going to QC this one to their normal standards and I won't have any finishing issues, but I'll still give it a pretty thorough going over. They're shooting for a Friday afternoon completion which will be 23 days since they offered to remake the board which I'm stocked how quickly they turned it out.Astro Pop Redux.PNG.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
A side note to my board debacle; I noticed a Pyzel Ghost in the rack that was truly grey with black rails and not FX-2 construction. One of the shop employees (didn't get his name, had silver pompadouresque hair) checked to see if someone was taking care of me and I asked him how they accomplished the color combo without it having the purple hue. He wasn't sure what was done specifically to the board I saw, but apparently grey/black can be done sans purple.
I order a board from XTR and wanted all grey (to prevent the board from yellowing). It came out purple! I was upset at first, but as i rode the board the color set in and in a few months it turned grey. Not sure if the board continues to cure in the sunlight, or if the color sets into the blank over time... but i've noticed that epoxy boards that are colored change a little bit over time.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I didn't notice either the poorly finished rail/edge until I'd surfed the board a handful of times. I shouldn't be responsible for QC'ing the board. Should I have asked to throw it up on a rack and check the bottom contours with a straight edge, calipers to make sure the thickness is correct, a laser to see if the blank is twisted, get out a fin layout square?

I assumed the inherent shape/finishing was accurate and wanted to surf my new board. I was trying various fin sets/combinations/configurations to get the board to perform it's best and not looking for errors in the finished board. I eventually discovered something that I knew was not correct. As I've mentioned before, I've had boards that I've loved and had a copy made off the same file, glassed at the same factory and the new one didn't ride the same. Having the intended rail/edge may or not improve the board's performance under my feet, but there is such a fine line between ok, good and magic boards, that I'm hoping for an improvement with a board as it was intentionally designed. Can I surf this board and do pretty much everything I can on one of my favorites, yes, but there is no denying the rail is not finished correctly and if that's the potential culprit for me not liking the board then I'm entitled to receive an accurate version of the model I paid for.
I disagree. I think you absolutely carry some responsibility on QC'ing your own board. Like most other people here have said - you check the fin placement, the rails, the bottom contour, the length, the color... everything to make sure you are happy with the product. Javier and Shey have always put the board on a rack and given me whatever time i needed to look it over and answer questions. They even measured rails and length with me because i thought it was off.

I know its hard when you are excited and frothing and grateful to finally get your board, but the customer does carry some responsibility in checking their own board to make sure they are happy with it. IMO.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I order a board from XTR and wanted all grey (to prevent the board from yellowing). It came out purple! I was upset at first, but as i rode the board the color set in and in a few months it turned grey. Not sure if the board continues to cure in the sunlight, or if the color sets into the blank over time... but i've noticed that epoxy boards that are colored change a little bit over time.
Shey told me that when I first complained. Mine never changed over time. Some days I wonder if it got more purple. I don't mind, ladies like it.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Shey told me that when I first complained. Mine never changed over time. Some days I wonder if it got more purple. I don't mind, ladies like it.
I actually got a few unsolicited compliments on the purply Pyzel. This EPS Rusty custom would transform into Barney in sunlight, so maybe it's not just an XTR thing with gray.

Attachments

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I actually got a few unsolicited compliments on the purply Pyzel. This EPS Rusty custom would transform into Barney in sunlight, so maybe it's not just an XTR thing with gray.
100% non XTR but recently.in last year got a pu with epoxy and s glass and board was jade green with black rails but rails look purple haze.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I think the color change has something to do with epoxy. I dont ride PU so maybe someone with PU spray can confirm if the color changes.

Reactions: JDJ

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I picked up the replacement board last Friday and no issues to report with the QC/finishing. The color came out exactly like the original, fairly purple. I did get two XTR lams on the rails which I didn't want. I know it's their thing branding-wise, but I think if I ask for one located somewhere specific, I should be able to get what I'm paying for, but it wasn't worth mentioning to Javier or Shey.

This was the first time Javier and Shey had seen the original board in person and the issues pointed out. They agreed it was jacked and should have never made it into my hands and that there was no way their employee could have correctly addressed the issue with the rail when I came down the second time. They weren't sure exactly where in the process the rail got messed up and were going to discuss things from the shaper up the line.

I've ridden the board twice now, with the original set of fins (Filipe Toledo larges) that I used in the first board's maiden surf. The board is pretty predictable and the weird lifting sensation is gone when on my toe edge, which I'm pretty sure was due to the weird bevel. Saturday was pretty fun shoulder high+ windswell and I got some fun ones. Yesterday was around waist high and I had to generate my own speed more than on Saturday. Once again, pretty standard feeling board that didn't do anything odd.

I've lost about 10 pounds since the whole covid thing began, probably since I'm not going to the gym and have lost some muscle weight which I'll hopefully put back on sooner than later. The Astro Pop at 28.10 liters feels a little more corky than my Varial NB2 at 28.9 L, probably due to the very full rails. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday how hard I could push some of my turns as I was expecting more fight from the full rails.

It's too soon to give the board my personal ranking. I need to ride it more and want to try some different fin combinations. Monetarily, I'm pretty deep into this thing. With the mileage factored in from three roundtrips, I'm in over $1200 and over $1700 with my time calculated into everything, so I'm pretty motivated to try everything to make it a small wave favorite.

I asked what they'll do with the original one once it has been repaired and they said the Surfboard Broker would probably buy it. I asked for first right of refusal since my 13 year old daughter keeps asking if she could get it. They'd have to sell it to me for pretty cheap to make it an option for her since she's just transitioning off her Wavestorm onto a 5'6 Catch Surf RNF and I'm not positive she's ready for a hard board yet.