XTR

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
4 Modern Times’ Critical Bands in and cant figure out how to change (on phone) my mistakenly chosen thumbs-up to another more appropriate emoji racer1. That sucks!

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
x2. Was hoping there was a code before black friday or xmas. would like to get a new winter board. Maybe if had enough guys they'd do a code for an erbb group buy like on truck forums
X3. I like the look of parallel carbon so no problem for me. This whole purple color thing though seems weird.

Rusty is IG live now and I just asked him what the difference is between torsion spring and XTR. He just went into a description of XPS technology and how it is different than EPS. I’m still not sure why he offers torsion spring and boards through XTR.

Someone else asked him if torsion spring works for step ups. He said absolutely but at a certain point you might want to add a little wood stringer to reduce flex. I think Javier has got this custom flex thing down as he can control that without stringers. They’ve built stringerless SL CK for big waves that come in with a flex value = 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I asked for a grey spray on my Rusty Blade with normal R dot logo near the tail.
I was livid when I opened the box and the board was purple with a giant gothic R dot on the nose.
Wow that’s frustrating. kinda nuts they don’t show you a photo before it ships to prevent these issues and keep the customer happy. Seems pretty easy to do in 2020.
Recent Tomo Oz custom is first board I’ve ever ordered that had to be shipped and they did this before shipping was arranged. Board looked just like we discussed. Now in transit and praying it arrives unscathed!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Since grey has been a topic, just saw this El Tomo on XTR's IG stories. Looks like you'd need to go darker than they'd like to mask the parallel carbon.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I would think it adds too much possibility of the board heating up. There are vent holes for a reason. I asked for black rails, but they're purple. For some reason the black rails stay black on their FX-2 construction. I know it's carbon fiber and not sprayed, but thought it was interesting since most of the Superbrand and Haydenshapes' boards with carbon fiber rails look purple to me.
Just jumping in here---- the reason that the XTR boards look more purple than Black is because of the color of their epoxy resin. If you look at a "clear" board glassed with this resin you will see the purple hue, which is meant to offset any yellow-ish coloring in the resin in it's un-tinted form.
I kinda like the purple myself, but it is not the same look as you would get from a regular resin.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I actually don't mind the purple hue and I actually got a few unsolicited compliments this am.

I must have been in denial yesterday after picking the board up at XTR. The rails are pretty chunky, especially when comparing them to my NB2's and Fever's rails. Both CI boards are the same 2 3/8" thickness as the Astro Pop, but have much more refined rails. The thickness is carried almost all the ways out to the rails on the Pyzel, which is similar to the 5'6 PU I felt up at a local shop (E.T. Surf). I figured it's going to be in the grovel category for me so the fuller rails wouldn't be that big of deal.

The windswell hadn't filled in as expected, but there was some inconsistent waist high+ waves coming in. It looked like they were bussing groms in, as I've never seen it so crowded which probably put me in a slightly negative headspace paddling out.

I had that too on-top of the water feeling on the handful of waves I caught. On my first wave, the board felt a lot more loose than my NB2, mediocre drive with the KA large tri set I was using. I was able to squeak out some marginal hits on the mostly one pump and dump waves. I paddled out late (9:00) trying to let the tide fill in, but it was quickly going onshore and the water had dropped a few degrees again. I caught a thigh high left, did a little tail-slide reverse, figured that was the most progressive thing that would probably happen for me today and went in (plus, I could feel my work emails/texts accumulating).

The waves were too sh*tty and I didforn't catch enough of them to write the board off. I've had boards where I literally felt like I couldn't get down the line (JS Air 17X and a Chilli Churro roundtail) normally, so the Astro Pop's debut isn't terrible, plus I have an s-load of fins to try in different combinations (other tri sets, quads, 2+1's). I try to give a board at least a week's worth of dedicated surfing to see if it's a keeper or not.
Hi--- smaller, weaker waves are a good reason to ride bigger fins. Bigger fins will give you more lift and drive which equals speed and maneuverability. I don't have specific fin recommendations for each individual since there is a lot of variance in what works for YOU, but I do know too small of fins in small waves will be a bummer. Hope you find the right combo.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hi--- smaller, weaker waves are a good reason to ride bigger fins. Bigger fins will give you more lift and drive which equals speed and maneuverability. I don't have specific fin recommendations for each individual since there is a lot of variance in what works for YOU, but I do know too small of fins in small waves will be a bummer. Hope you find the right combo.
Sorry @retodd
Looks like there's a new fin guru in town! just kidding... you would've given specific fin recommendations for each individual
LOL

Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Ugh, there's something not right with my XTR-Pyzel Astro Pop. I was having an issue where the was this strange lifting sensation in the tail. I thought it was finding the right fins for the board, but four sets of fins that I've liked in most my boards (KA, FT, MF, AM-Aircore all large) all had the same feeling. It wasn't as pronounced as quad with FT fronts and reactor medium rears, but still felt pretty shite. I was kind of feeling that one rail felt weird by the front fins while sitting waiting for waves a couple of times, but didn't really analyze what was really going on. After another bummer session this evening I really looked at that area, and there is a 3/16" - 1/4" sand through band that's pretty flat between the hard edge and the rail contour about four inches long. It's pretty subtle, too hard to really pick up in a photo, but you can definitely feel something is off. It's on my toe side rail. My wife and daughter walked down to check the smoky red sunset and I got out to say hi for a second and even they could see/feel what I was talking about (my daughter kindly commented that I looked off on the couple of waves she saw walking down). I guess I'm driving from Redondo back down to Oceanside to see what can be done. I'm pretty bummed.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Ugh, there's something not right with my XTR-Pyzel Astro Pop. I was having an issue where the was this strange lifting sensation in the tail. I thought it was finding the right fins for the board, but four sets of fins that I've liked in most my boards (KA, FT, MF, AM-Aircore all large) all had the same feeling. It wasn't as pronounced as quad with FT fronts and reactor medium rears, but still felt pretty shite. I was kind of feeling that one rail felt weird by the front fins while sitting waiting for waves a couple of times, but didn't really analyze what was really going on. After another bummer session this evening I really looked at that area, and there is a 3/16" - 1/4" sand through band that's pretty flat between the hard edge and the rail contour about four inches long. It's pretty subtle, too hard to really pick up in a photo, but you can definitely feel something is off. It's on my toe side rail. My wife and daughter walked down to check the smoky red sunset and I got out to say hi for a second and even they could see/feel what I was talking about (my daughter kindly commented that I looked off on the couple of waves she saw walking down). I guess I'm driving from Redondo back down to Oceanside to see what can be done. I'm pretty bummed.
Hey Chase--- I am really sorry to hear about this. When you order a board through XTR it gets shaped by my shaper, but after that it goes through Javier and his factory and we don't see it again. I know Javi cares a lot about making his/our customers happy and I am sure he will make things right for you, but still sorry you have to have this experience with one of my boards. If you have any questions we can help with y0u can call us 760 453 2136 in O'side...

Jul 5, 2009
Hey Chase--- I am really sorry to hear about this. When you order a board through XTR it gets shaped by my shaper, but after that it goes through Javier and his factory and we don't see it again. I know Javi cares a lot about making his/our customers happy and I am sure he will make things right for you, but still sorry you have to have this experience with one of my boards. If you have any questions we can help with y0u can call us 760 453 2136 in O'side...

just because of this I'm getting my next board in Pyzel again, had my Lost order since May, and it's still not done yet...

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Thanks, I actually brought the board by your O'side location first to make sure I wasn't seeing things and TJ and the boys agreed the QC wasn't up to snuff. The XTR guys tried to make it better by adding some UV cure resin to smooth things out, but it still looks/feels off to me and I had to get back to the South Bay. They (XTR) managed to put a nice scuff on the black rail up by the nose when laying it on the concrete to cure the resin, so that added insult to injury. Neither Javier or Shey were there. The guy that helped (another Javi) was super nice, so I bit my tongue when he handed it back to me showing me there was now a straight(er) hard edge, but didn't address the weird rail contour. I'm not about to commit another three+ hours of my time, so I'm not sure where to go from here.