XTR

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What’s the trick to ordering an XTR?

Do you have to use their web form or can you just email them and place an order with Javier directly?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I ordered online (this is my first order with them) and I followed up with to the order confirmation with an attachment of a normal board order form for color, logo placement etc.

Shey, the GM, is pretty good about answering the phone there as well if you have questions.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Thanks. Figured there was some disconnect between latest models shown on the web and what they actually can make. Most of the new Album boards aren’t showing up.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Call/email Shey. Can also stop by the shop and talk to him in Oside, just east of The 5. He's happy to answer all my inane questions.

Akura, you need to do one of those OG quiver shots with all the boars in a circle, we might need a drone with special lense to fit them puppies in the frame
Would love to see this.. but how big is his yard?? Maybe he would have to just do a lineup of 5 at a time.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Would love to see this.. but how big is his yard?? Maybe he would have to just do a lineup of 5 at a time.
I live on 7.5 acres. I think I could fit them.

Barely.

Actually got to surf the Lightbender today. Waves weren't epic, just some 9 second north wind swell, but there were some decent corners of both the left and right hand variety. Stayed out a solid three hours. Board felt really good. Glides in easy and makes sections while feeling lively and easy to throw around. Definitely still contains plenty of fishy DNA but with the narrower outline it is perhaps less prone to catching rail or sliding out when surfed aggressively. I didn't really get this one for small waves so I'm happy that it did so well in marginal conditions. Hopefully it handles juice as well.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I live on 7.5 acres. I think I could fit them.

Barely.

Actually got to surf the Lightbender today. Waves weren't epic, just some 9 second north wind swell, but there were some decent corners of both the left and right hand variety. Stayed out a solid three hours. Board felt really good. Glides in easy and makes sections while feeling lively and easy to throw around. Definitely still contains plenty of fishy DNA but with the narrower outline it is perhaps less prone to catching rail or sliding out when surfed aggressively. I didn't really get this one for small waves so I'm happy that it did so well in marginal conditions. Hopefully it handles juice as well.
Oooohhh just you wait. I cant get off the fuggin thing. It's incredible how Matt balanced fish DNA with a really reactive yet stable twin. It's going to be reeeeally hard for me not to order a twinsman based off what I've been feeling on the lightbender. It also doesnt help that Matt and I ride the same dims, so I'm way too confident going forward with regards to sizing...

Reactions: Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Aruka how does it compare to your Stamps fish?

anyone lightbender and twinsman?

is the plastic a flop?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Oooohhh just you wait. I cant get off the fuggin thing. It's incredible how Matt balanced fish DNA with a really reactive yet stable twin. It's going to be reeeeally hard for me not to order a twinsman based off what I've been feeling on the lightbender. It also doesnt help that Matt and I ride the same dims, so I'm way too confident going forward with regards to sizing...
I'm similar size to him as well I think. An inch taller and I wear a thick suit though. What's the dims on your Lightbender? Mine's 5-10 x 20.38 x 2.6

Twinsman is tempting for sure. Plasmic as well. I have an Insanity being shipped today but it's PU, not XTR.

Aruka how does it compare to your Stamps fish?

anyone lightbender and twinsman?

is the plastic a flop?
I think I need a few more sessions before I can really compare but the Lightbender is quite a bit narrower and longer and it feels like a slightly stiffer ride compared to my 5-7 Banjo. Banjo slays small mush and carries speed over flat sections better for sure but. The Lightbender should handle size better. Otherwise they are both Twin fish and have similar bottom contours and seemingly similar rocker so they do have a similar feel. LB sweet spot might be a little further back due to foam flow as it carries more foam rearward. Banjo is much more thinned out through the tail and has good upper range but it's still pretty wide so it has both the up and downsides that come with that.

Sorry for the thread derail. I will start an Album thread soon.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Just wait it out... Matt's boards always end up in the used section of the site

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had to drive from SD to north OC and back during morning and evening traffic last week, wasn't that bad. Looked congested but it was pretty fast.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I didn't want to rush the XTR guys, a "maybe" for tomorrow without him having to tell the sander it had to be done, as opposed to next Monday is fine.

Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Picked this 5'6" x 19.5" x 2 3/8" (28.6L) Astro Pop today in their SL.C with a 6 flex value. Feels great under the arm. I was a little worried if it was going to be too chunky, since I felt up a stock 5'6" that was 2 5/16 thick (27.8L ) and the rails were pretty full feeling on that. Someone at Pyzel recommended that I don't go down in volume compared to my normal HPSB's when going to their Electralite, so I tentatively went up to my normal 2 3/8" thickness even though the stock 5'6' felt like it'd be enough volume. The XTR's rails feel similar compared to the stock PU I checked out, despite the board being a 1/16" thicker. The beak is much less pronounced (like almost no beak) which actually a pleasant surprise.

The color came out more purple than I wanted, but that's been my experience with gray and epoxy. This one is much less purple than a Rusty Barking Spider I had a few years ago. I did ask for no XTR lams on the rails, but I still got one. At least it's further back than center. I asked for their lam to be off the rail just above where a tailpad would be, but it's such I minor deal it wasn't worth mentioning to them. Javier was really nice and we briefly talked about upcoming swell and my thoughts on Varial. There is supposed to be some windswell the next couple of days so I'm excited to give it a go out front. I think I'm going to try it as a thruster first, with a KA large set. I'm curious to see how that compares to riding it as a quad and a 2+1.

Attachments

Last edited: