XTR

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
That's pretty important!
I had drawn on an order sheet where I wanted the leash plug, which I forwarded to XTR. I'm glad they double checked though. I've seen a few Pyzel Astro Pops with the plug centered above the swallow, which limits how far back you can put a tailpad.

Reactions: JDJ

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Just went into Surf Garage while my wife was in the Post Office. They have two brand new parallel carbon Tomos in the used section: 5'4 OB1 and 5'7 Twin, both at 27 liters. $600 each. Shop guy told me $1100 if I bought both. If they were just a bit more volume I would have bought both. Damn they are in excellent condition, I don't know if the previous owner even rode them.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
... I've seen a few Pyzel Astro Pops with the plug centered above the swallow, which limits how far back you can put a tailpad.
I've had them on both sides of fish swallowtails. Never seemed to get in the way. What's the ideal? On your heel or toe side?

@racer1 Do it. You know the XTRs are more bouyant anyway. I ride 1-2L less in XTR stringerless than I do in PU.
The twin is the El Tomo fish one?
There is a parallel carbon Psyko for sale near me- same price. I am holding strong, but I may cave soon if it's still there much longer. I have the same board in SL-CK (red stripe) almost same dims and pretty yellowed now, so I'd be curious to upgrade and compare the different builds.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've had them on both sides of fish swallowtails. Never seemed to get in the way. What's the ideal? On your heel or toe side?

@racer1 Do it. You know the XTRs are more bouyant anyway. I ride 1-2L less in XTR stringerless than I do in PU.
The twin is the El Tomo fish one?
There is a parallel carbon Psyko for sale near me- same price. I am holding strong, but I may cave soon if it's still there much longer. I have the same board in SL-CK (red stripe) almost same dims and pretty yellowed now, so I'd be curious to upgrade and compare the different builds.
I really don't think it matters much, but I drew the plug to be on my heel side.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I really dont understand paying $800 for a poly board when much better materials like XTR, Coil, Superflex, exist for the same price or cheaper

View attachment 95066
I am with you Mr Steve and that does seem steep, maybe it's the color? I could see somebody buy as an impulse purchase tho as that thing looks pretty sweet!

Jul 5, 2009
Why bad luck? How old was the board? Did you land on it funny or something?
bad luck as in anything can just happen to a surfboard haha.

No, I think it was most likely the lip. I took off late on a wave, ate it, didn't hit the bottom or anything, but when I came up the other half of the board was on its way to the beach. the board was just a month over a year old. :(

I was pretty sad because I LOVED that thing! Javier and Shey were kind enough to offer me a discount on a new customer because of how rare the situation was though.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That is a lot for a plain PU fish. Maybe because he doesn't shape many on the East Coast? Either way, good for him that he gets people to pay it.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
His fish is sexy and obviously popular. I wouldn't mind having one in stronger construction. I just go through PU boards too fast.

Reactions: JDJ

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Every big name shaper out here charges $600 to $750 for PU (e.g. Pyzel, Arakawa, Tokoro, Bushman, Pang, Brewer, Andrus, Minami, etc). I have endless respect for all these guys and they should charge whatever they want, but PU durability is a hard pill to swallow for me.
For me the big issue is weight. In order to get any durability out of a PU I need to add heavier glass jobs. With other builds I can get durability and lighter more responsive boards.

Unfortunately I think the model of giving sponsored surfers an endless number of ultralight and breakable PUs keeps people going to them. If pros had to pay full price for boards, or only got like 5-10 a year, I think other constructions like XTR would become much more prominent.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My buddy gets flowed MSFT boards, said they'll be added to the XTR offerings.
They have some interesting shapes. There was a Suspended Particle model in the now defunct Geoblank technology on CL that piqued my interest for a few weeks (this was over four years ago). It was a tad too small or I would have grabbed it. I'm pretty sure the attached image is the one I was thinking about.

Geoblank seemed like a cool idea. Lots of brands were shaping them such as: LSD, Chilli, Superbrand, MSFT, Lost (Au), Pyzel (Au), Stretch, Emery, Panda, ACSOD etc. and if I remember correctly, I was talking with Tim Stamps and he was super fired-up on it and thought they were really onto something. From what I heard, Guy Walker (the creator) could not get out of his own way and sunk the promising tech.

Attachments

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ