XTR

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
It would be so dope if XTR would offer Arakawa boards made in CA, that XO construction looks so sick and I believe they supply the blanks. I'm dying to try one but the carbon footprint having the blank made in CA, sent to HI to be shaped and then sent to me on the east coast is just too much to swallow. Maybe if I ever make it back to HI...

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I learned about XTR from my friends shop that caters to Japanese. They had a batch of XTR Mayhems that looked incredible. My friend explained to me about them then let me demo one of his. Almost nobody out here rides them and at least once a month somebody says to me, "Is that an XTR? I thought they all delam?" So thats the rep out here. When I tell my friends or other board hoarders that you can get custom Pyzels that are 5x a durable for the same price, they trip out. Pyzels are considered designer brand out here. And yes XTR website sucks.
Lol I feel that, sometimes I feel like an XTR sales rep when I'm in the lineup with one, I've never seen anyone else with one and I'm always gushing about it to anyone who asks what it is.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I reached out to Arakawa when the pandemic hit, to support local, but they're more expensive. They said they vent their decks like Javier taught them and they are using the same blanks. The XO comes out to $965 plus tax. They also offer wood stringered just like XTR for $805 plus tax. That's clear with thruster setup. I wanted to support but XTR is a better deal (with the $100 off).

Last edited:
Reactions: ehiunno

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I agree but it seems like nobody other than XTR can get XPS foam not to delam. There was some discussion on here (maybe earlier in this thread?) that Rusty was tying to use it without giving XTR patent royalties and they just couldn't figure it out. Javi and co have done the research to get it down over years of trial and error, or so it seems!
I think FCD does XPS too, not sure on their quality reputation.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have had two FCD boards. One has a delam, a small golf ball radius size under my front foot, but I just poked a hole in it and surf it any way. Foam is waterproof and I don't notice it under my foot, it stays flat after you pop it. My other one I baby like a mofo, never leave it in the car no matter what and also have it in a bag.

A buddy who is a Patagonia store manager said they will all delam unless you baby it. Said so many people bring them back to the store, but warranty doesn't cover it. He told me not to fix mine cause it will just keep bubbling next to the fix.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
For anybody who knows, how does the durability of XTR 8.C compare to a PU 6+4/4 glass job?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I agree but it seems like nobody other than XTR can get XPS foam not to delam. There was some discussion on here (maybe earlier in this thread?) that Rusty was tying to use it without giving XTR patent royalties and they just couldn't figure it out. Javi and co have done the research to get it down over years of trial and error, or so it seems!
I just got a torsion spring from Rusty and they're putting an XTR logo on it now so it seems they've worked it out

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
10+ years buying XTR's with no delam issues here. Randomly ran across this podcast a couple weeks back from Javier. Was a good listen on how everything came about.

Reactions: ehiunno and Lohena

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
10+ years buying XTR's with no delam issues here. Randomly ran across this podcast a couple weeks back from Javier. Was a good listen on how everything came about.
Very interesting, I love to hear all the history. As they said, it costs more, but lasts a lot longer. I have an xtr that is now 10 years old and still very lively.

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
I have a Stamps flare that I love but BSR is beating it to hell, especially now that the liner is gone and the bottom is cement. How does XTR hold up to getting bashed against reef/rocks? I figure that's the closest thing to what happens on the end sections at BSR when the board goes over the falls and gets slammed into the bottom.

Reactions: Aruka

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have a Stamps flare that I love but BSR is beating it to hell, especially now that the liner is gone and the bottom is cement. How does XTR hold up to getting bashed against reef/rocks? I figure that's the closest thing to what happens on the end sections at BSR when the board goes over the falls and gets slammed into the bottom.
Doesn't sound like much would survive that repeatedly. I'm surfing rocky areas most the time and haven't had issues with my boards dinging but my fins always seem to get the worst of it. I've damaged a couple of sets. With XTR atleast it wont suck water if it does get dinged and you might can keep surfing if it isn't a hazard. They have heavier glass options there also.

Reactions: UFsurfer

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Doesn't sound like much would survive that repeatedly. I'm surfing rocky areas most the time and haven't had issues with my boards dinging but my fins always seem to get the worst of it. I've damaged a couple of sets. With XTR atleast it wont suck water if it does get dinged and you might can keep surfing if it isn't a hazard. They have heavier glass options there also.
That's what I figured. Almost every regular out there is riding a board with a patched nose at a minimum. Sucked when I peeled the nose back on my flare during my 3rd session ever riding it. Silver lining is it just gives me an excuse to order a new board sooner rather than later.