XTR

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
What's the process with XTR? Do shapers have blanks and shape them and send them back or is XTR being sent files and they're cutting/scrubbing them there (I'm assuming a combination of both)? I sent Javier an email, but got a pretty short reply that didn't really address all my questions. I asked if I could get a local shaper to shape one of their blanks and bring it back for glassing? He answered that the foam is extremely hard and most shapers leave the blank too rough, so they absorb too much resin and end up really heavy. He recommended whoever shapes the blank (and isn't used to shaping XTR) use a barrel sander instead of a planer.

Reactions: Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My understanding is that XTR cuts the blank and glasses, and the shapers finish the blank. Sometimes they use ghostshapers who work with XTR a lot and know how to finish their blanks. Javier once told me that Lost and Rusty finish their own, not sure about the rest because I asked only about those two.

Reactions: Aruka and ChaseTMP
Jan 27, 2010
ChaseTMP,
I have no inside info to the XTR business process, nor do I know anything about "finishing" or "cutting/scrubbing" duties etc. as you mentioned. Though, I have ordered three XTR boards from a local SoCal shaper not listed on the XTR website. The shaper is Gary Linden. I've ordered a shortboard, step up and fish, all XTR. All are amazing. I hope this helps.
~North (and wishing I was south).

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
How are you guys liking the parallel carbon builds? I’m curious to try one on my next one
I have one with 8.0 build and really like it. Feels like somewhere between EPS and PU. Mine feels stiffer than standard EPS builds, but it's a step up and they customized the flex for me. Still lighter and more responsive than PU. Claims to be more durable too, so we'll see about that.

I'm actually curious how a parallel carbon 8.C build with more flex (like a 6 flex value) compares to some EPS builds out there like future flex, hyfi, helium, spinetek, etc..

Any feedback out there?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have one with 8.0 build and really like it. Feels like somewhere between EPS and PU. Mine feels stiffer than standard EPS builds, but it's a step up and they customized the flex for me. Still lighter and more responsive than PU. Claims to be more durable too, so we'll see about that.

I'm actually curious how a parallel carbon 8.C build with more flex (like a 6 flex value) compares to some EPS builds out there like future flex, hyfi, helium, spinetek, etc..

Any feedback out there?
Love to hear compared to CFT and DFT as well:)

Jan 14, 2016
I like my parallel carbon, mostly because it's light, and so far fairly durable. I can't really comment on the flex... I've been surfing for quite a while, but I can't really say I can discern flex. (I actually really like SurfTechs because they are light and durable. But they don't make many shortboards, and you certainly can't order a custom.)

I also like CI Spine-Tek, and CI Eco-Gold. I am not a huge fan of Varial. (I have one. It rides decent, but the deck as crushed out terribly.)

However, as far as the custom service goes, for ordering a custom CI, the six weeks from XTR sure beats the three months it would take to get a custom CI Spine-Tek.

I can def. see ordering more. So far, thumbs up.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Any recent feedback on a ...Lost XTR wait time? I remember someone on here lamenting their long wait for a Mayhem while the rest of us were getting our Pyzel, CI's, etc. in the usual 6 weeks or so.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
What's the process with XTR? Do shapers have blanks and shape them and send them back or is XTR being sent files and they're cutting/scrubbing them there (I'm assuming a combination of both)? I sent Javier an email, but got a pretty short reply that didn't really address all my questions. I asked if I could get a local shaper to shape one of their blanks and bring it back for glassing? He answered that the foam is extremely hard and most shapers leave the blank too rough, so they absorb too much resin and end up really heavy. He recommended whoever shapes the blank (and isn't used to shaping XTR) use a barrel sander instead of a planer.
From the XTR site
"How the process work.

Once we get an order, we ask the shaper (Tomo, Lost, Merrick, Rusty , Pyzel, Roberts, JHP, etc) for the file of that specific surfboard, we also help get the right volume and the exact flex for an specific weight of the surfer and wave size for that particular board.

The shaper will email the file to us, we cut the XTR foam in house with our new CNC shape 3D shaping machine, then we send the blank back to the shaper for a custom shape.

The last step is when we get the blank already shaped and sign by the original shaper, we just glass with our non-yellowing environmental friendly Epoxy resin, to match the flex and durability, then we oven cured the board, apply the Thermovents and arrange shipping.
"