XTR

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Have to ship it back on their dime, and they'll remake it. Shey says they put the correct dims in the CNC, so odd that it came out that way. It's also a 1/2" shorter, which I dont care about, but again, odd given CNC shaped.
Did you measure the length over the curve or in a straight line?

Pro tip: If you measure over the curve, you can claim it's longer ;)

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Have to ship it back on their dime, and they'll remake it. Shey says they put the correct dims in the CNC, so odd that it came out that way. It's also a 1/2" shorter, which I dont care about, but again, odd given CNC shaped.
That's good to hear. Despite erBB purple screams of discontent to the contrary, XTR are good people. It's not a gray area, IMO.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
What say you all: at 5-10 and 21+ wide think I could get any use out of it? Or just too wide for the design. Its for NJ beach break...not those slopey long walls in RK's vids.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
What say you all: at 5-10 and 21+ wide think I could get any use out of it? Or just too wide for the design. Its for NJ beach break...not those slopey long walls in RK's vids.
I’m sure you could make it fly in weaker conditions, but I vote too wide for GMM2.
my next one will be 5’9 x 19-19.5” x 2.5… and I prefer those slopey walls to local BBs

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Not sure if this helps but...
My Gmm2, at 20 wide, turns and goes rail to rail, just fine. It's 5'1, 6 inches shorter than my height , so my rear foot is pretty far back, probably over the trailer fin (twin plus trailer setup, same fins RK has in one of his insta vids.) If I ever get another, it will probably be a little shorter and wider, but this one feels good unless conditions are really poor.
I can surprisingly stall it pretty well too, which I didn't expect with the wide tail

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Also not sure it'll help:

I weigh 165 pounds. My GMM2 is 5'7" x 19" x 2-1/2" (from memory). It goes in ALL conditions, even the weakest. At 21" wide, it would seem you have a dedicated small wave groveler no matter what. Those are very wide dimensions... IMO.

Reactions: jkb, sdsrfr and JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don’t think the GMM2 has twin/trailer placement. It is just Dan’s normal placement for MPH designs, which is closer to the tail.
I agree. Fronts are at 10". Rear is at 3"

It's a thruster set-up with the cluster close together and set back further than your typical board.

I really dig the fin placement. I want to try it on other boards to see if it translates well on other designs.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I agree. Fronts are at 10". Rear is at 3"

It's a thruster set-up with the cluster close together and set back further than your typical board.

I really dig the fin placement. I want to try it on other boards to see if it translates well on other designs.
yeah, just imagine if you unlocked it's true potential as a twin + training wheel...

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
There is a twin/trailer placement different to the 5-fin placement, although, oddly, RK didn’t know it. I think I mentioned this earlier in this this thread or on the Hydodynamica thread.
his personal has the 5-fin, but he runs it as a twin/trailer. His wife’s (same dims board, iirc) is set up only twin/trailer, not same location of boxes, and he likes his board’s placement better. Why I changed mine to 5 (plus, I think I’ll likely prefer quad anyway).

• Love
Reactions: sh3 and JDJ
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
There is a twin/trailer placement different to the 5-fin placement, although, oddly, RK didn’t know it. I think I mentioned this earlier in this this thread or on the Hydodynamica thread.
his personal has the 5-fin, but he runs it as a twin/trailer. His wife’s (same dims board, iirc) is set up only twin/trailer, not same location of boxes, and he likes his board’s placement better. Why I changed mine to 5 (plus, I think I’ll likely prefer quad anyway).
@Oceanslide...I based my fin box choice off your comment. Twin plus trailer was the first combo I tried, and it went well, in a wide range of conditions during the Fiona swell. There was only one heavy day, that I did not ride it.

Reactions: JDJ