XTR

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Just put in my order! Let the waiting begin.

I went with dual carbon and let me tell you why....
I talked to Javier and the way he explained the dual carbon really hit home. He said that its sort of like independent suspension. In the older cars without - you would hit a bump the whole front end would move. With independent suspension only one side would move. He said dual carbon functions the same way. When you lean in on a frontside bottom turn, the heelside of the board is completely out of the water and your toes side rail is the only one sunk all way in till about the middle of the board. So it makes sense to have strength in that specific area that your putting pressure onto.

He said he rode an XTR bare blank and only glassed the fins and 1 strip of carbon down the middle. He said he went to bottom turn and it bogged on the rail. He wondered why and concluded it was the rail area that needed the most strength when executing a bottom turn. So he decided to put carbon down the middle of that area. He said thats why Firewire's parabolic rails provide such good flex (although he feels parallel carbon is better).

I ordered a dual fin so it will be interesting to see how it feels. The carbon strips should be running straight up from the fins. I'm hoping i can feel the difference.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This one is special. :sneaky:
Dan created the file for me and sent it to XTR for build. This one better fooking work! :LOL:
Whoa. Finally, all your free marketing work on social media paid off. LOL You're stocked. Looks like you've been putting time in on the one you have. Stick with it. Hard to match the speed of 2 fins. Can get addicting.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I honestly think he didnt want any discrepancies with the fin placement and he may have made some slight modifications from the OG model. So he sent them a custom file. Either way, i'm stoked. 2 fins are definitely addicting! Like @Aruka said... its like a quad but taking the brakes off. haha

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
We need GG to chime in on this thread if Anima didn't click with the twin and Daniel thought it might be because the fins were not pulled back far enough toward the tail . . .

Reactions: Havoc

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I felt like, if the fins were moved up a little more towards the nose it would have been able to pivot a little better. It was loose and smooth, but with the length of the board and the fins being a little far back it made the board feel overly long.

Everything felt great and i could have surfed that board the way it was. But slight little modifications and i think it could be much better. I'm hoping this one is the magic one.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
The last one was 5'7 x 18 5/8 x 2 1/4. The new one is 5'6 x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16.
Dan said reducing the width actually straightens the rails line a bit. Plus the fins are up about 0.5 to 1 inch.

Reactions: JDJ

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
curious why you kept it at your height. aren’t these supposed to be surfed shorter?
Since its a high performance fish I think it should be ridden about the same size a regular shortboard. I guess similar to how you size the fishbeard. The last one was 5'7 and felt really good. The longer rail line is nice. If I wasnt so used to Tomo designs i would probably get a 5'7 fishbeard.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
4th day on my Astro Pop. I changed out the KA larges for AM Aircore larges and even though they look really similar, I felt a noticeable improvement in both drive and release. The redone board is slightly heavier than the original, not enough to really matter, but I would have preferred it to have been the same weight. Even though the board was supposed to be exactly the same, the flex value says 4 on the new one, where it was 6 on the original. I don't think there is much if any difference in how the board feels flex-wise, but then again, the first board had the rail issue and I never clicked with it. Pretty sure the new one is a keeper, so I'm stocked.

Last edited:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
4th day on my Astro Pop. I changed out the KA larges for AM Aircore larges and even though they look really similar, I felt a noticeable improvement in both drive and release. The redone board is slightly heavier than the original, not enough to really matter, but I would have preferred it to have been the same weight. Even though the board was supposed to be exactly the same, the flex value says 4 on the new one, where it was 6 on the original. I don't think there is much if any difference in how the board feels flex-wise, but then again, the first board had the rail issue and I never clicked with it. Pretty sure the new one is a keeper, so I'm stocked.
Whats the weight difference?