XTR

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Makes me feel good about my 1 month old XTR Vesper... I noticed that the order # made a significant jump - now 11xxx, from 8xxx - in the space of 5 months or so, and confronted Shey w/ this and he said the number was real and the volume was up.
How's the Vesper treating you?

How's the Vesper treating you?
I'll be frank, it took like 10 surfs for me to get used to it. I really wanted to like it, and glad I finally did, but had to fight for it.

In my mind I was acquiring a longer rail fish, I dim'd it a bit longer and narrower that you'd do for a fish and that it would go well in 1'-4' east coast junk. It paddles very well, it can catch almost anything, there is a lot of foam but it needs some juice to get started, it has a bit more rocker than your typical fish. I took it to Portugal and finally dialed it in on some bigger surf... It has heaps of drive and you need to work on generating speed a bit more that I am used to in a quad fish. It releases off the top in a way that I had never experienced, feels like you are ice skating, but not in an uncontrolled way, it releases easily but you can put weight on the front foot to go down and it goes straight to the train tracks again. There is a certain playfulness on being super loose off the top/super drivey when engaged... It's interesting, maybe its the channel? I don't know...
Also fins were something that I had to work on, I tried a bunch of setups and the ones that worked well were futures bamboo controllers for weaker surf and NVS JL large quads for better surf (I think Margo uses this setup). I brought some Bom Dia quads and they felt really stiff.

tldr;
It's more performancy that the marketing memo claims
It's a fun design that gives you confidence (drivey and paddle capabilities)
I wanted to surf like Margo but still far from it
Now it's my go-to on good not top quality waves (3-5).

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
... It releases off the top in a way that I had never experienced, feels like you are ice skating, but not in an uncontrolled way, it releases easily but you can put weight on the front foot to go down and it goes straight to the train tracks again. There is a certain playfulness on being super loose off the top/super drivey when engaged... It's interesting, maybe it’s the channel? I don't know...
Bro. It’s the magic channel!

interesting that it doesn’t seem to generate speed as easily as expected.

Reactions: manel85
Jan 3, 2024
I've always liked the wood stringer. If its your first xtr, I'd vote sticking to that and not introducing too many variables for your first go. The tech will already feel a bit more lively than pu. Just my 2 cents
ah ok thanks for the insight. Just buckled a stringerless lost lightspeed so im a bit concerned about strength. Mostly surfing epoxy boards right now, would the xtr with stringer be on the heavier side?

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
ah ok thanks for the insight. Just buckled a stringerless lost lightspeed so im a bit concerned about strength. Mostly surfing epoxy boards right now, would the xtr with stringer be on the heavier side?
I had a few stringered XTRs with the standard glassing schedule. My recollection is that they felt similar to PU with 4/4 glassing. Maybe a tad lighter.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I get wood stringer w/ their light glassing option (4+4/4oz) and it feels lighter than a clear pu, but a little heavier than an eps epoxy. Much more durable than a typical pu also. They used to call it .C glassing and it was their standard, but they changed the terminology recently on their site to make things more confusing. Now its called their light. Their 6+4/4oz is closer to pu weight but still a little lighter I'd say. I have a friend that likes that glassing schedule on his bigger wave boards, but I still prefer pu on my dedicated step ups since they are a little more settled in rougher conditions. The only ones that turned me off is their team light. I've picked them up off their rack and they are ridiculously light. Too light for my liking.

*Edit, if your local to them could be worth swinging by their shop. They always keep some on the racks that can give you an idea on the weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and jkb
Jan 3, 2024
I get wood stringer w/ their light glassing option (4+4/4oz) and it feels lighter than a clear pu, but a little heavier than an eps epoxy. Much more durable than a typical pu also. They used to call it .C glassing and it was their standard, but they changed the terminology recently on their site to make things more confusing. Now its called their light. Their 6+4/4oz is closer to pu weight but still a little lighter I'd say. I have a friend that likes that glassing schedule on his bigger wave boards, but I still prefer pu on my dedicated step ups since they are a little more settled in rougher conditions. The only ones that turned me off is their team light. I've picked them up off their rack and they are ridiculously light. Too light for my liking.

*Edit, if your local to them could be worth swinging by their shop. They always keep some on the racks that can give you an idea on the weight.
ah ok, shey recommended the 4+6/4 for strength… decision decisions haha.

Reactions: trifish and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
XTR carbon lite will be light years stronger than Lost light speed (pardon the pun). No comparison.

I think your preference should guide you. If you like stringerless boards, I would go that route with XTR, but ask Shey about glassing and you may want one layer of 6 oz on the deck.

I like XTR with a wood stringer and get mine 64 deck and 4 oz bottom. To me it feels great and it is comparable to a light poly. But, like anything, YMMV

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
XTR carbon lite will be light years stronger than Lost light speed (pardon the pun). No comparison.

I think your preference should guide you. If you like stringerless boards, I would go that route with XTR, but ask Shey about glassing and you may want one layer of 6 oz on the deck.

I like XTR with a wood stringer and get mine 64 deck and 4 oz bottom. To me it feels great and it is comparable to a light poly. But, like anything, YMMV
@JDJ does stringered XTR 6+4/4 feel similar to 4+4/4 glassed poly Stamps to you?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Very similar. Maybe xtr is slightly stiffer but not by much. I sold my GMM2 which was glassed 644 with a stringer and the deck looked almost pristine with pretty heavy use too.
Nice. The Harborside PU glass job on my Pyzalien 2 has been flawless with more than 1yr of use, but when it finally comes time to replace it, I'll probably go XTR stringered and I want it to feel as similar to well-glassed PU as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and oeste858

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
How long it take to get a response for yall lately? I emailed them last week about a question on a potential board order but it's been crickets. Normally shey and the crew respond in a day or 2 , but im sure business has picked up with the recent publicity.

Feb 28, 2015
How long it take to get a response for yall lately? I emailed them last week about a question on a potential board order but it's been crickets. Normally shey and the crew respond in a day or 2 , but im sure business has picked up with the recent publicity.
Best to just give them a call. I do that even though I am in Singapore. They are pretty busy nowadays.

Reactions: Sauce