XPS foam and Eco friendly Paulownia/cork: no fibreglass board build.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Beauty.

I thought I spied a channel bottom in the racks behind the 7' fish. I'm curious how he does the channels? Maybe like Hess, he only does them when there is no wood skin on the bottom?

Also is he the guy with the tattoos? There was a guy on Sways named Hughie but I always figured he was an old-timer that had worked in the industry for decades. The tatted guy here looks young.
He does do channel bottoms but I think they aren't very deep ones. Hugo (Hughies) is the tatted guy. Huey is the crusty old shaper from the Gold coast from Sways.

Reactions: One-Off

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
@One-Off I quizzed him about the varnish and the glue he uses. Both water based. Even took a sniff out of each container and fortunately for me they have very little smell. He did say that if he has to do repairs he has to use an oil based one but obviously the quantity used in a repair can be very small.
While I'm commenting I surfed the new 5'10" fish in some excellent quality, fast, A frame beach breaks at thigh to chest high waves yesterday morning with Rasta keels in the board.
It's early days but I'm calling it the best fish I've owned. I've had a full carbon rocket fish by DVS back when Rasta was shredding on them, PU and epoxy fish in different models and sizes by DVS since, Gary McNeill fish in both keels and quads in different sizes and plenty of fish from other shapers.
Snagged a tube with a clean exit that I had a an effortless feeling of control in that has me salivating for more.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Love it when a custom shape is totally nailed by the shaper and meets my design brief.
This 5'10" has climbed to the top of my all time favourites in the fish rankings that I have owned.
I've found I can change the fins from Rasta keels when its firing and I need more control to large flex twins or Asher Pacey twins for beach break fun on smaller days.
Love the strength of the construction. The decks on both the glassed and un-glassed don't even heel dent but its still a nice light and very lively feel and paddles around the line up and into waves like a hydrodynamic wonder. IMG_20220331_063413_HDR.jpgIMG_20220401_083601_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
I'll just keep posting pics of the board as I try different fins. It's cemented itself as my all time favourite fish. Light onshore at my local point with 4' waves.
Picked up some Lovelace Piggyback keels to try while waiting for my G10 S-wings to arrive.
S-wings turned up today but wanted to try the Lovelace keels first.
The fins went very well. Still had good hold on the bigger waves but could do bottom turn and right back up the face into re-entries at will with smooth release off the top.IMG_20220413_131709_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
That looks very nice! I’m spewing I was late to the party for his used stock....there were a few boards I would’ve bad touched.

I bet the S-wings will be good...

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Got lucky and came across a used Hughies 6'6" tri plane and channel bottomed twin with paulownia deck and flax bottom which was one of Hugo's personal boards.
Super flat deck rocker and 22' x 2&3/4" so good for my old self. Gave her a run with the Lovelace piggyback keels first in some nice running, glassy 2' beachbreak waves first off. Then swapped them out for a set of G10 Modii flex twins which really felt spicey.
Got some nice comments on the boards speed across a wave. I answered that turning is overrated.
Note: someone didn't know how to use the correct leash string length (not me). Boo Hiss!20220703_162204-1.jpg20220703_162220-1.jpg20220705_084104.jpg20220706_094036.jpg20220706_094048.jpg