XL fins anyone? Gabby content

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Watching the contest yesterday in sh^t conditions Winki, it came up that Gabby rides XL Performers in front with a L rear. He always looks like he has so much more drive than his competitors. I know he rides a lot of volume for his size and that helps his apparent zip/skate through sections, but I'm curious about trying the same setup, but not too excited to spend $100 on the experiment,

Anyone in the 6' 175ish range try XL's?

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Really? Does he ride XL? I didn't know that.
Curious to try. I am 6' 175 and usually ride L on small waves/boards and M on ghosts, quads, and bigger guns.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Maybe buy a used set of mediums to use the rear fin.

im 190 n have done giant fronts (ocean n earth - call them large but they’re huge) w a smaller rear (also size L but quite a bit smaller). Fun in softer waves. But no way running that setup in good waves/when it’s firing.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
yeah yeah when its good, firing, always smaller (medium in my case) fins right? specially with pin tails or narrow swallow / narrow rounded pin tails.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I run mediums (MF's) in my Ghost and either large MF's, FT's or KA's in my other thrusters. I like the large BMT's in my 5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen twin, so I'm curious to try XL fronts to see what I feel. I have an old set of Performer larges where the twins got pretty chewed up on the hill, but the rear is pristine and will work as the trailer.

I'm basically the same size as Gabby, so hopefully the money spent on the experiment is worth it.

There's a 25% off FCS deal if your a Surfline premium member. I get a little better deal at my local surf shop, but they don't have any XL's.

Reactions: JDJ

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Watching the contest yesterday in sh^t conditions Winki, it came up that Gabby rides XL Performers in front with a L rear. He always looks like he has so much more drive than his competitors. I know he rides a lot of volume for his size and that helps his apparent zip/skate through sections, but I'm curious about trying the same setup, but not too excited to spend $100 on the experiment,

Anyone in the 6' 175ish range try XL's?
What's his weight and the volume he rides? It does look like he pumps less.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think for most of us mortals XL fins will be too much but you never know. Maybe with the inside foil they will be loose enough.

Anyone ridden the Futures Poncho? Those are even more area than the performers and they are full fiberglass with no inside foil.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
you notice how surfers much smaller than us, even some women run large fins? uh yeah, more tail rocker and they surf a lot harder than we do. our boards would be sh!t to them

• Sad
Reactions: JDJ and sh3

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think for most of us mortals XL fins will be too much but you never know. Maybe with the inside foil they will be loose enough.

Anyone ridden the Futures Poncho? Those are even more area than the performers and they are full fiberglass with no inside foil.
I have. I like my fiber glass True Ames Merrick thruster set better. Big and stiff.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
true ames is absolute top tier
Those Ponchos are big. I think the Mayhem large - bigger than AMs but smaller than Ponchos - have a better template with the tips being not so fat.

I like fat tips on smaller fins but I think with Ponchos being so big, with the fat tips and super stiff they just felt…..slow.

At least for me they did.