WTB prone bark 14 ft paddleboard

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
im 205lbs u think 12?
if you wanted to, yea. not trying to say you should or shouldn't go w/ a 12 instead of a 14. the Commander WD, which is the board i have, is rated up to like 220 or something like that & i've found that the 12 is more versatile than a 14 in most conditions/situations. just my $0.02. YMMV.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
that
yea man. the blue meanie flies!
id say it dependes on the kind of 205 he is....my end of 205 id say 14....better shape 205 maybe the stock? that..and SUFFER factor!

that being said...that s'tech bark wd 12?....havnet paddled the ones with the new paintjob...but that bluemeanie? FUGGGG that baord is killer. killer in the flats. killer in the mess. killer in the bump. love that thing. and damn nice to have something that light. my stock isnt one...but id grab one in a heartbeat

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
that

id say it dependes on the kind of 205 he is....my end of 205 id say 14....better shape 205 maybe the stock? that..and SUFFER factor!

that being said...that s'tech bark wd 12?....havnet paddled the ones with the new paintjob...but that bluemeanie? FUGGGG that baord is killer. killer in the flats. killer in the mess. killer in the bump. love that thing. and damn nice to have something that light. my stock isnt one...but id grab one in a heartbeat
Longer has better glide? Is there a point of diminshing retruns on length? I see 18-20 footers.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Whatta trying to do? If youre just looking for fun and surf fitness, can’t go wrong with either.

Longer distance EC races, randazzo, I’d go 14’.

first year I did the randazzo Absecon island paddle (2nd year it ran), some young lifeguards showed up with rescue race boards. It was a suffer fest. I felt for them as I cruised by on. 16’ unlimited bark.

shorter races, down wind, EC wind chop a 12’ would be better.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Whatta trying to do? If youre just looking for fun and surf fitness, can’t go wrong with either.

Longer distance EC races, randazzo, I’d go 14’.

first year I did the randazzo Absecon island paddle (2nd year it ran), some young lifeguards showed up with rescue race boards. It was a suffer fest. I felt for them as I cruised by on. 16’ unlimited bark.

shorter races, down wind, EC wind chop a 12’ would be better.
what's the llongest ocean race out there? wouldnt mind somehow working my way out for a race. got a good friend from jersey....he'd love the excuse to do a race out there.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
what's the llongest ocean race out there? wouldnt mind somehow working my way out for a race. got a good friend from jersey....he'd love the excuse to do a race out there.
the randazzo race...22mi, +/- around absecon island. runs in early june, usually the second week. i've done it several times on a stock 12' board, takes around 5hrs or so depending on conditions. there's also a race around cape may that is 15 or 16mi in late june/early july. used to go across the delaware bay, but the organizers changed it a couple years back. i think they had some issues w/ uscg after a couple racers went severely off course...one ended up paddling almost to wildwood & another went up the bay toward PA instead of across. there used to be the nysea race around manhattan in august, that was 25 or 26, but i don't think its been run since covid.
those are just nj area. i'm sure there are others out there that i'm not aware of. the around the cape race is, as far as i'm aware, the only east coast catalina qualifier.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
liking the sound of the randazzo. odd chance anyone out there rents prone boards? or maybe has something they'd loan for drinks and dinner? i could do 22 on stock as long as it isn't a pinner

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
liking the sound of the randazzo. odd chance anyone out there rents prone boards? or maybe has something they'd loan for drinks and dinner? i could do 22 on stock as long as it isn't a pinner
no one rents that i'm aware of. doesn't mean they don't exist, though.

we absolutely could find one for you to borrow while you're out here, probably for a sixer of half decent suds.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Spot on abiut randazzo. 22+\-. Sometimes 21.6. Sometimes 22.5. Iff’n on a few factors. Early June, late May to avoid green heads. When it was in july, it could be miserable. The randazzo is a “race” but I believe technically a charity event for the cause, doesn’t qualify for anything but is a great time. 4-7+ hrs depending on skill/fitness, conditions and board. Knowing the currents running through the inlets can be important depending on tides, moon, swell and winds. I did it 08-2015, it’s been too long. Great memories.

i don’t think the sea nyc paddle Has been run since covid. I only did it once like a decade ago. More of a novelty for charity. They wouldn’t let us race and kept us together until the Hudson. Was kinda fun paddling and chatting with garret McNamara. Dude is intense. The bums on the Harlem river have a great summer gig. Do not recommend recreational water sports on the Hudson River.

Spot on about the Delaware bay race. It’s now point to point around cape may. Ran last weekend. I did the crossing but haven’t done the new course. Pictures from this years event. https://alekseyphotography.shootproof.com/gallery/18831566/home

there used to be a 32 mile race across Lake Ontario from Niagara to Toronto. It mirrors Catalina and M2O. It’s boss but not sure if it still is run due to Covid. While a lake and fresh water, it’s more open ocean in nature.

There’s a series of shorter duration races all summer long outta AC. That’s about it for mid-Atlantic/NJ/Great Lakes. While “rare” on EC, There are boards around. Not likely to find a regular rental. pretty certain the randazzo folks might be able to help find a board to use. It’s that type of crew. or the erbb. most folks i know have one board and will likely be participating.

if all else fails, welcome to use this “pinner”. 12’ by 20.5" by 5”. 30 years young this year. Use it to train with on bays, lakes and rivers around here. she's a beaut, lots of miles & memories but conditions permitting for the randazzo around abscond island. IMG_2980.JPG

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Spot on abiut randazzo. 22+\-. Sometimes 21.6. Sometimes 22.5. Iff’n on a few factors. Early June, late May to avoid green heads. When it was in july, it could be miserable. The randazzo is a “race” but I believe technically a charity event for the cause, doesn’t qualify for anything but is a great time. 4-7+ hrs depending on skill/fitness, conditions and board. Knowing the currents running through the inlets can be important depending on tides, moon, swell and winds. I did it 08-2015, it’s been too long. Great memories.

i don’t think the sea nyc paddle Has been run since covid. I only did it once like a decade ago. More of a novelty for charity. They wouldn’t let us race and kept us together until the Hudson. Was kinda fun paddling and chatting with garret McNamara. Dude is intense. The bums on the Harlem river have a great summer gig. Do not recommend recreational water sports on the Hudson River.

Spot on about the Delaware bay race. It’s now point to point around cape may. Ran last weekend. I did the crossing but haven’t done the new course. Pictures from this years event. https://alekseyphotography.shootproof.com/gallery/18831566/home

there used to be a 32 mile race across Lake Ontario from Niagara to Toronto. It mirrors Catalina and M2O. It’s boss but not sure if it still is run due to Covid. While a lake and fresh water, it’s more open ocean in nature.

There’s a series of shorter duration races all summer long outta AC. That’s about it for mid-Atlantic/NJ/Great Lakes. While “rare” on EC, There are boards around. Not likely to find a regular rental. pretty certain the randazzo folks might be able to help find a board to use. It’s that type of crew. or the erbb. most folks i know have one board and will likely be participating.

if all else fails, welcome to use this “pinner”. 12’ by 20.5" by 5”. 30 years young this year. Use it to train with on bays, lakes and rivers around here. she's a beaut, lots of miles & memories but conditions permitting for the randazzo around abscond island. View attachment 134639
got any other pictures of that beast?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
if you wanted to, yea. not trying to say you should or shouldn't go w/ a 12 instead of a 14. the Commander WD, which is the board i have, is rated up to like 220 or something like that & i've found that the 12 is more versatile than a 14 in most conditions/situations. just my $0.02. YMMV.
very good info. it'll be summertime/fall thing so trunks for maybe a spring suit. 12 would also be easier to store. Conditions are rarely clean so maybe a12. wish we had people out here and I could try both.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Found one. Sorry, not sorry. Don’t move to politics forum.

Will share more pinner pix when I get home.

VaB, there used to be a shop in VaB that carried boards. Relatives have a place in sand bridge since the late 60’s and spent alotta time there. I bought one about 10-15 years ago. A bark. My memory is failing me at the moment.

• Haha
Reactions: Belchfire1