WTB: Mr. Buzz

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Oh baby. Feel like lightning hit the tip of my pepis. Board is crazy. Did some really high performance turns on it. You gotta ride it off the tail but it just snaps and whips every turn. Waves were bigger and windier, using the AM large quad set. Also board didn't feel as small today, when paddling I moved back a little bit. Mr Buzz is so fun. Can't wait to ride it in cleaner/hollower surf.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Oh baby. Feel like lightning hit the tip of my pepis. Board is crazy. Did some really high performance turns on it. You gotta ride it off the tail but it just snaps and whips every turn. Waves were bigger and windier, using the AM large quad set. Also board didn't feel as small today, when paddling I moved back a little bit. Mr Buzz is so fun. Can't wait to ride it in cleaner/hollower surf.
Hard to explain but once you find magic balance it paddles great. Surfing my 5'2" superbuzz and gbuzz (5'8" 170#) I move up so feet dangle just off tail and keep both chin and feet up out of water toes pointing down.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hard to explain but once you find magic balance it paddles great. Surfing my 5'2" superbuzz and gbuzz (5'8" 170#) I move up so feet dangle just off tail and keep both chin and feet up out of water toes pointing down.
I move back on the board when I'm paddling out or back out from a wave, when I get near a wave I want, I move up on the board.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
In one of those videos Stretch mentions we should paddle it towards the rear of the board.

see i bought mine in 2012. Superbuzz with mr buzz tail rocker. I sold it, but the kook didnt like it so i took it back. Fee years later sold it to a friend who years later traded it back for one of the first versions of stretchs “thing” model I had that i didnt like.
After i sold it to another friend who beat the sh!t out of it. Broke fins, etc. he got bored of it. I’m like “hey give it back.” Board has a sentimental value to me. Without meaning it, i have surfed it through the years, at different “stages” of my surfing. I’d like to think i’m a better surfer now than when i bought it. It used to give me back pain like someone mentioned. You have to be on your game. Is not a great paddler but floats just fine at 5’4x19.5x2.5. I should try bigger rear fins cuz is very slidey. It is very high performance. Damn thing turns on a dime. I wanna get it under control.... well look how it looks in 2020!!

Attachments

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
what rear fins are you using Racer?
I feel like i need bigger rear fins on mine.
Paunch23 did you ever try the FU S#2 set? I had problems at first with FU S#3 set felt like anchors so I tried the S#3 thruster set and worked pretty good but wanted quad speed. The moment I tried the FU S#2 set no return and use same set for buzzsaw and just got a 4 25"/4" set for my 2x4 step up.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Mine’s fcs (1) I have stretch plastic rears. Really old ones. Board feels squirrely and i know that’s how is supposed to be. But i think i saw videos of guys riding much bigger rear fins in it. That designing mr buzz video seems like nathan had really big fins on the one HE shaped...‍♂Idk

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Mine’s fcs (1) I have stretch plastic rears. Really old ones. Board feels squirrely and i know that’s how is supposed to be. But i think i saw videos of guys riding much bigger rear fins in it. That designing mr buzz video seems like nathan had really big fins on the one HE shaped...‍♂Idk
I think he uses the controlers FU#3

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Having ridden it three times, I'm already thinking about ordering a custom. I would actually go one inch shorter to 5'2 and then do 2.5" sk8 deck (rails are so foiled out on this 2.3" Sk8 deck) and maybe a touch more width (this one is 19.25" so maybe go up to 19.5"). I think with more volume than the one I have, it could be a great all arounder. You can grovel with it and it can handle overhead surf. Yesterday was a couple feet overhead punchy surf and I had no problems.

Reactions: rts265

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was showing the board to an older shaper at my local who has an open mind about design and he was like, "this thing should not work." Then he tried it (he's same size as me) and was tripping on it. He blew the fins out first turn and paddled back out grinning and shaking his head.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've never felt one up in person but I always looked at the MR Buzz and thought it looks like something I would struggle on.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I surfed a friend’s Mr Buzz is pumping beachbreak and it was a lot of fun. The problem for me is that there’s not much need for a good wave board that can’t paddle. Maybe if I surfed Newport more often. But it’s usually gutless or there’s a lot of water moving.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
For sure that's what sparked it for me.

Rode the board in clean, offshore, chest high peelers with a good pocket on them. Board is a rocket. Doesn't feel as small paddling around any more. The board makes you surf in the pocket, cause out on the shoulder it feels boggy. In the pocket it's so fun though, flicking it all over the place and sliding the tail around. Hitting closeout sections is also very exciting. Had an air section and launched it, got so high I chickened out and did a fly away.