WSL - where they at?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Surfing and even competitive surfing was just fine before the "Dream Tour" came along. Both will be just fine without the WSL. I'd love to see it go back to the regional tours like it was in the late 80s and 90s. The ASP East. PSAA. Bud Tour. The Body Glove Tour. Pretty sure Africa, South America and Europe had their own regional tours too back in the day. The surf industry saw some of its biggest growth ever during that era and surf brands were much more true to the core of the sport back then.

As far as I'm concerned the Hawaiian Triple Crown should be the most prestigious of all of the competitive legs. Make the winner of the Triple Crown world champ. Make that be where the biggest money resides. Let the smaller tours be the on-ramp to get an invite into the Triple crown along with the top Hawaiian talent from their regional events.

A lot of the surf industry and competitive surfing's problems could be resolved by switching to this format. The surf industry and competitive surfing became stale thanks to the WSL. Hawaiians were kept out of the big events on their home turf thanks to the WSL dream tour format. Top regional talent on both coasts and around the globe were frozen out of getting to the next level by the WSL dream tour format.

The cream will still rise to the top. There will still be no stopping a guy like Ítalo Ferreira from getting to the top and if anything it would make it easier for others like him to rise to the top. The only ones who have anything to lose are the entrenched guys on the back half of the world tour who reside there year after year based on accumulating points with repeated mediocre results on the dream tour. The WSL dream tour seems to be devised in a way to keep a stable group of guys out there as the face of their organization and to protect them from up and comers rather than providing a ramp for the hottest talent to burst onto the scene.

The current Covid challenges are an opportunity to fix this.
Yeah man. The four to the shore parking lot tour was so rad, bro!!!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I forget who said it, some industry guy on Instagram, but he said Surfing is the only sport where people hate when the pros get paid.

NFL, Skating, Hockey, NBA, MLB, Snowboarding, PGA, Tennis? The fans are like pay that guy!
Surfing? fuck that guy!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have an idea for WSL. Do a Surfline (one of their partners) rewind cam contest at popular spots on firing days. Edit the clips down then have older legends from that area judge the contest with commentary over Zoom. Winner gets $1,000 or something more significant, plus $1,000 donated to local food back. Hosted by Strider, Ronnie, Kaipo, Pottz, whatever. Do the zoom judging call live so there's some excitement, tell all the entrants to promote the live call. Get the winner on zoom at the end. There's a bunch of stuff you could add to it to make it exciting.

Stab was snooping! 10 bucks tho?

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I forget who said it, some industry guy on Instagram, but he said Surfing is the only sport where people hate when the pros get paid.

NFL, Skating, Hockey, NBA, MLB, Snowboarding, PGA, Tennis? The fans are like pay that guy!
Surfing? fook that guy!

That's because the majority of fans for everyday sports are not competing with the pros, and wannabe pros, for a finite resource.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
That's because the majority of fans for everyday sports are not competing with the pros, and wannabe pros, for a finite resource.
Good point. Name one other sport where a middle aged dad from NJ and his kid can travel to one of the sport's top venues and participate side by side with current top 10 in the world pros along with some aging former pros and a bunch of other random people mixed in. My kid and I can't exactly go to the Staples Center in Los Angeles and shoot hoops while the LA Lakers are playing.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Pretty crazy, JOB's youtube channel is like the highest subscribed and viewed channel in relation to Surfing. WSL cant compete and will never catch up.
Perfect example..........Mason and Coco go to a little wave pool in Palm Springs and put together an edit that absolutely blows away the stupid Pool-Cast-Contest at Kelly's pool. WSL is becoming more irrelevant by the day.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Good point. Name one other sport where a middle aged dad from NJ and his kid can travel to one of the sport's top venues and participate side by side with current top 10 in the world pros along with some aging former pros and a bunch of other random people mixed in. My kid and I can't exactly go to the Staples Center in Los Angeles and shoot hoops while the LA Lakers are playing.

You could go shoot around at the Rucker