Would you move to the mountains?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Ya- why not?

depends what mountain though. Aspen or Vail? Hard pass.

SLC, Whitefish, or similiar? Yes

Reactions: Havoc

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
lived in Tahoe for a couple years but i wasnt even 21 yet so it was boring when not on the mountain. also not stoked to driv to reno when i wanted the latest wu tang cd or something (this was the 90s)

Ive had a few friends whove tried to move to different mountains and eventually came back because the schools werent tickling theyre fancies for the kids. others got frustrated with the hassle of having to deal with driving up and down for certain things and just driving in general wehn the season hit.

To me, im like well, what did expect. I for one kind of envision myswelf retiring in a mountain town. for now il ike to surf to much to leave it.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The beauty of pricey CA. is you don’t need to live in the mountains to be near them. I’m good where I’m at for now. Maybe when I’m older I’d consider a move.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I did four years in Bend. 100+ days a year on the season pass. MTB trails right out my front door. Rock climbing and hiking in the summer.

I dug it and I think for many it's worth the tradeoff. I love snowboarding good pow through the trees and I think it's the only thing that comes anywhere close to a good surf session. Still, for me it's not on the same level.

30 min. drive to the mountain doesn't sound bad but factor in the traffic, waiting in lines, yada yada. Snowboarding/skiing is more of a sure thing, like you are going to get some ride time but it's also much more of an ordeal than my current 3 minute drive down the gravel road to check the waves. Not that I don't spend time driving around looking for surf but it's definitely a much more relaxed thing than white knuckling it up the mtn in a blizzard with heavy traffic, seeing people crashed on the side of the road and so on.

It would really depend on the mountain and the town but I think there are probably plenty of cool, low key mountain spots I could be happy. (If for some reason I was forced to leave the coast).

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
No. And combined with your salary history and experience. Fukk no.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
@Aruka makes goods points. Snowboarding is much more involved and not something you can just hop out and do.

Most mountains you can’t live next too other then a few spots and if you can then you’re living in a hotel zone

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
no. been there, done that. if you have to have one or the other close at hand (beach or mountains), live at the beach and visit the mountains.

Reactions: xxx

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My parents had a home in a remote area of the mountains of West Virginia. Basically owned the entire end of a ridge line from top to bottom. They just sold it last year after 30 years of owning it. During the warm months they would be in NJ for two weeks and then go to the mountains for a week or two then spend winters in Florida. My parents are in their late 70s now and the upkeep was getting to be too much and the biggest problem is how remote the place was. A good hour and 40 minutes to civilization on winding narrow roads. Being a nine hour drive for me I didn't have the time or interest to maintain it. Turned out Covid was a good time to sell remote mountain properties.

For me it was nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited:

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Just did it from the beggining of the pandemic till now. Snowboarding is fun, but a good powder day is not the same as a good surf day. Spring and summer are nice but id always wonder 'what a beautiful sunny day, hownice would it be to surf right now'. Gf always complained im an addict :p

Fall would be depressive, 2 weeks in a row with 5ºc and raining or foggy? My latin ass had a hard time with that.

Made some good money there, now back at the beach earning less but happier. Will def try and go every year for a snow holiday, gfs parents live there anw and got a few good friends to visit.