"World Longboard Champion" (LOL!) suspended. Nobody cares.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
At Makaha there is or used to be a sign that said "beware of loose surfboards"...
one day this haole was reading it and got hit by a loose boar...:poke:

Reactions: steamroller

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
People who longboard in conditions like those pictured are what pisses me off. Clear shortboard conditions and the waves are hogged by a bunch of back paddling over-foamed donkeys.
I would longboard this or shortboard, depending on my mood.
If there were a bunch of rabid shortboarders i might opt for the longboard, so i wouldn't have to deal

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
People who longboard in conditions like those pictured are what pisses me off. Clear shortboard conditions and the waves are hogged by a bunch of back paddling over-foamed donkeys.
I see your point but it's more applicable to hurricane swells that size where there's lulls. And there's no wetsuit.

The kind of longboarder you are talking about by and large wasn't punching out (on a longboard) yesterday.

We salute you, March windswell!

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
There are exceptions to everything. Our area has a couple really good longboarders who chose to ride a LB in all conditions. They sit in the pack with everyone else and do not use the extra board to their advantage. When it's a small period swell with quick takeoffs I enjoy seeing them making late takeoff's on boards that just barely fit in the pocket.

I understand your point though and also get fustrated by those that sit outside the lineup to pick off set wave after set wave before the pack gets a chance. I was out sponging on a good day that was breaking on the outside bar. This guy that is known for doing that was up to his old tricks and I was getting sick of it so I dropped in on him after the 4th or 5th time he grabbed a set wave and aimed straight for his ankles and knocked him off his board. On the paddle back out I said to him "you cant take every set wave" and the douche just said "I didn't say nothing"? WTF was that, asshat knew he was inthe wrong but kept on anyways.

My point of all this is not every longboarder is riding a log just to increase the wave count, some just really enjoy that craft and hats off to them if they have good lineup ediquate! If not, go for their ankles.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There are exceptions to everything. Our area has a couple really good longboarders who chose to ride a LB in all conditions. They sit in the pack with everyone else and do not use the extra board to their advantage. When it's a small period swell with quick takeoffs I enjoy seeing them making late takeoff's on boards that just barely fit in the pocket.

I understand your point though and also get fustrated by those that sit outside the lineup to pick off set wave after set wave before the pack gets a chance. I was out sponging on a good day that was breaking on the outside bar. This guy that is known for doing that was up to his old tricks and I was getting sick of it so I dropped in on him after the 4th or 5th time he grabbed a set wave and aimed straight for his ankles and knocked him off his board. On the paddle back out I said to him "you cant take every set wave" and the douche just said "I didn't say nothing"? WTF was that, asshat knew he was inthe wrong but kept on anyways.

My point of all this is not every longboarder is riding a log just to increase the wave count, some just really enjoy that craft and hats off to them if they have good lineup ediquate! If not, go for their ankles.
I mean you do you, but personally, I'll just burn and say it. I don't want to mess with someone's ankles. The next longboarder might kick the board at your face prone or at your knees/ankles. Generally if the person is a tool and you say look, you're wavehogging and people are going to start burning you, other people might start shutting the door too.

Living on the East Coast, you know there are times it takes some duck diving quickness and resolve to blast out. Yesterday was one of those days. Not huge, but a shitload of 'em with that southerly angle. Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam.

The logs could punch out for the flooded session and trim a couple burgery mounds, but there were no logs out at low tide right when the wind changed yesterday. Not happening.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would longboard this or shortboard, depending on my mood.
If there were a bunch of rabid shortboarders i might opt for the longboard, so i wouldn't have to deal
There were miles of this. You could choose to deal or be alone on whatever you wanted. Of course, have fun turning turtle every 5-6 seconds. Let me know how much headway you make trying to punch through that on something you can't duck dive.

Waves like what SB posted? I’d find something else to do.
High pressure tends to put the bite down. Air upper 70s water low 60s. Prototypical Spring day. If you lived in North Florida and you were 41 years old, you'd have grabbed a board and gorged yourself. Stop being a wave snob. If it pushed my fat ass there was enough mustard for sammiches.

Reactions: mundus

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There were miles of this. You could choose to deal or be alone on whatever you wanted. Of course, have fun turning turtle every 5-6 seconds. Let me know how much headway you make trying to punch through that on something you can't duck dive.

High pressure tends to put the bite down. Air upper 70s water low 60s. Prototypical Spring day. If you lived in North Florida and you were 41 years old, you'd have grabbed a board and gorged yourself. Stop being a wave snob. If it pushed my fat ass there was enough mustard for sammiches.
Fourth sentence, before the comma, I’m sorry. I understand that a bad day of surfing is better than a good day of work but having to go to work after that?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019