Work Sucks

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I’ve closed (often several) 6 figure deals on virtually every every surf trip I’ve taken in 15 years. Still gotta work hard to make that luck spring into action

my bosses call it my beach business. I’ve always paid for the trip within one or two contracts that come in whilst on said trip. YOLO

I even send clients thank you emails with photos like this attached and say something horrifically corny like “thanks for making a magical trip with my wife and mother even more magical” and I tell you they light right up with joy View attachment 153281
Great photo! You all look so happy.

:applause2:

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Six figure deals are nice and all....but the last surf trip I went on I closed a SEVEN figure deal. While I was in a cavernous barrel. The client was driving a hard bargain while I was driving through section after section. Finally, just as the wave spit, I secured the deal and came...out of the tube to cheers from the whole lineup. High fives and shakka brahs ensued. I popped a bottle of the bubbly, snorted a quick line of caviar off of a bodyboard chicks perfectly sculpted and tanned heinie and paddled back out for another.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Six figure deals are nice and all....but the last surf trip I went on I closed a SEVEN figure deal. While I was in a cavernous barrel. The client was driving a hard bargain while I was driving through section after section. Finally, just as the wave spit, I secured the deal and came...out of the tube to cheers from the whole lineup. High fives and shakka brahs ensued. I popped a bottle of the bubbly, snorted a quick line of caviar off of a bodyboard chicks perfectly sculpted and tanned heinie and paddled back out for another.
Was there a waterfall though??

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
I wish I would have gone into the military and maybe transition into border patrol and retire in my early 40s. Instead I'm still grinding. Funny thing my company just cracked the whip because a few of us would leave a few minutes early each day.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
For what its worth I've closed a lot of sales without my clients knowing I was vacationing during my stays in Puerto Rico. Its an hour ahead so you can get in a full morning session, eat breakfast and be making calls by 10:00 Eastern Time. Phone and internet service is good down there.
I often take days off and split town without telling my office. Of my number are good they don't ask any questions.

I have a friend who was in wine sales in Texas. One day he decided to go to Europe for a couple months. He was doing fine until a California winemaker arrived in Texas, unannounced (this is poor etiquette, all "work-withs" are supposed to go through management) ready to work with him. He was all "Oh, I had to leave town for a family emergency so I won't be able to work with you." Winemaker responds, "Oh OK I'll be back in 2 weeks then." My friend did not come back for this and ended up getting in trouble, but did not lose his job, cuz his overall sales were solid.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Bro if I landed an interview I was always in like flint, was well dressed and well prepared with questions of my own etc and during interviews and meetings always made a point of making it look like I pretended to care by taking notes or at least pretending to.

1682904505631.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wish I would have gone into the military and maybe transition into border patrol and retire in my early 40s. Instead I'm still grinding. Funny thing my company just cracked the whip because a few of us would leave a few minutes early each day.

Yikes. That sounds awful. I'm sorry that this would be an improvement for you.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Let me get this straight ... We collectively agree to leave our families and slave away for 8+ hours a day. Come home totally spent, without the time or energy to meaningfully connect with spouse and kids, let alone do the chores and all the other life management that comes with being a respectable member of society. Entertainment complex anesthetizes us with shitty TV, superhero movies, and doom scrolling; schools socially condition our kids in this rat race from age 5; psychiatry drugs them into submission when they start experiencing ADHD, depression, and anxiety caused by this sick culture. What a fucking scam.

Who actually thinks this is the best way to live? If we reduced the work day to 4-6 hours, that would be a start. Most companies produce useless sh!t anyway.
This is not gonna help, just very apropos. :(

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I like my job. It's stimulating and varied enough to keep me interested. I only work about 12 days a month and have tons of annual leave, which are huge benefits.

I do not like spending 8 hours in an office, but often I'm so busy that it flies by in no time.