Work Sucks

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I enjoy my job and co workers are awesome.My company allowed me to move from sales to engineering and I actually make more now with less pressure

I like spending time with family and friends even more though. Hence being ready to bail from it all in a few years.
You won't really truly appreciate that comment, until you actually do it, then you will inevitably think... "should have done this so much sooner".

Life, after all, is what happens when you are on your own time, not on anyone else's clock.

:socrazy::shrug::cool::unsure:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Viking. By the way, that place doesn't traditionally laminate and sand much of anything. That place is high tech. The mold plugs are made with a giant CnC machine like what cuts our surfboards and more and more is being done by vacuum infusion all the time rather than hand laminated.

Here is a cool video of their Valhalla build process.

Viking is not a really a fair comparison to the average company. They do it right and they will work more if needed. Friends and family day is pretty awesome, the culture, people who want to be there, job perks (need some fiberglass and resin from a leftover build? Fill out a form!), etc etc.

What happens in those 40 hrs is what counts.

I enjoy my job. Developing drugs to change human life is rewarding.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
You won't really truly appreciate that comment, until you actually do it, then you will inevitably think... "should have done this so much sooner".

Life, after all, is what happens when you are on your own time, not on anyone else's clock.

agreed but I just got a ton of equity and I have a 6 week paid sabbatical next year.
They know how to keep me happy

Last edited:

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA

If only it were so simple...

Working on my plan, but it's not gonna be instant sadly.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I took surf breaks when I worked next to the Ocean. So fun
I did that for years in Santa Cruz. Worked on Swift Street, and surfed the west side alone or with just a few regulars who WFH back in the early 00s.

I like my job, but grow tired of the sales hustle these days, probably one reason being it's a different world than it was three years ago.

I am looking forward to retirement.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Like wise. I can and will still do it for a handful more years but I will be dedicating a lot of resources into more passive and active incomes streams. Renting my home in LB can get me an eye opening amount of money for the MD to LD season. If I’m in Nica or elsewhere 9-10 months a year, the cash from that summer rental alone would keep us comfortable and living easy, if not over the top (one domestic at the most)

And summer in Long Beach is for teachers and tourists and day trippers. Rarely any swells of note minus the odd early hurricane. Id rather be in Nica for the summer anyway, then maybe come back to LB for the glorious north eastern fall

why am I still working? I need to do some math but I’m lit af rn so no major life decisions

people pay stupid money even for semi luxury yoga retreats. A few of those every year pays for years of colonial, I’m sorry, ex pat comfort. Won’t have to touch my investments for years perhaps

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Like wise. I can and will still do it for a handful more years but I will be dedicating a lot of resources into more passive and active incomes streams. Renting my home in LB can get me an eye opening amount of money for the MD to LD season. If I’m in Nica or elsewhere 9-10 months a year, the cash from that summer rental alone would keep us comfortable and living easy, if not over the top (one domestic at the most)

And summer in Long Beach is for teachers and tourists and day trippers. Rarely any swells of note minus the odd early hurricane. Id rather be in Nica for the summer anyway, then maybe come back to LB for the glorious north eastern fall
Exactly my plan. Summer is a shitshow and fall is glorious pretty much everywhere that's livable in the states. Waves, indian summer heat waves, college football, fall colors, and it all rolls right into the holidays.

My industry sales cycle is heaviest from the start of the year through the end of June. Not much gets sold from July through October. Some important events, meetings and bulk deals for the following year are inked in the last few months of the year but otherwise it's pretty lean. My 5 year plan is to negotiate some sort of deal where I don't work through those times in terms of day-to-day grind in exchange for a reduced annual salary but will still answer the phone and email for tech questions to keep my bennies :beer:

Reactions: Subway

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

why am I still working? I need to do some math but I’m lit af rn so no major life decisions

people pay stupid money even for semi luxury yoga retreats. A few of those every year pays for years of colonial, I’m sorry, ex pat comfort. Won’t have to touch my investments for years perhaps
People here rent out their houses in summer and make bank. Summer in nica and house rental could be awesome.

They start with one and then have to get multiple for taxes- its insane.

I won’t rent my house, but rentals may be in my future

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Exactly my plan. Summer is a shitshow and fall is glorious pretty much everywhere that's livable in the states. Waves, indian summer heat waves, college football, fall colors, and it all rolls right into the holidays.

My industry sales cycle is heaviest from the start of the year through the end of June. Not much gets sold from July through October. Some important events, meetings and bulk deals for the following year are inked in the last few months of the year but otherwise it's pretty lean. My 5 year plan is to negotiate some sort of deal where I don't work through those times in terms of day-to-day grind in exchange for a reduced annual salary but will still answer the phone and email for tech questions to keep my bennies :beer:
The only way I could work “when and if I choose” is if I hung out a consulting shingle. I can think of a few dozen clients that would gladly retain me to buy the very same stuff I’ve been selling for decades. I can pick and choose clients, work my own hours negotiating and making media plans for them in between surfs. Take on as much or as little work as I like.

My current career requires year round pedal to the metal, minus a decent amount of PTO and “wfh” lulz but I can’t abandon my book for more than a few weeks tops. The whole damn ship sinks without me at the helm; as frightening as that thought may be

• Sad

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The only way I could work “when and if I choose” is if I hung out a consulting shingle. I can think of a few dozen clients that would gladly retain me to buy the very same stuff I’ve been selling for decades. I can pick and choose clients, work my own hours negotiating and making media plans for them in between surfs. Take on as much or as little work as I like.

My current career requires year round pedal to the metal, minus a decent amount of PTO and “wfh” lulz but I can’t abandon my book for more than a few weeks tops. The whole damn ship sinks without me at the helm; as frightening as that thought may be
Yeah I hear you. I wouldn't be able to disappear for 4 months but if I was strategic and systematic about it I could pull it off. That's the benefit of being highly seasonable. Of course, that comes with the drawback where come summer if you aren't at a certain number, your chance of recovery by year end is almost impossible :toilet:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
fook a bunch of adult ing but I like money and the time and freedom it buys

DAMN YOU MODERN LIFE FIRST WORLD EXISTENTIAL DILEMMAS! :cursing:
At this point in the game it’s tough to walk away because it is uncertain if you could come back to the same comp level, especially if you disappear from your network.

So make hay while the sun shines. Prepare for winter. If/when there comes a time where a downgrade is imminent, GTFO :beer:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I’d be a fool to leave too too early. I’m peak earning again and it’s (mostly) fun again, or as fun as the b2b media sales world can be. I’d like to have the Nica retreat built and actually operating as a getaway and a money maker. With two sick beach houses in diverse and desirable beach towns, I could walk away from Madison Avenue without a second look. I came, i sold, I mentored and changed the lives of dozens, I left my mark on an industry and (hopefully) set myself up for a fantastic 2nd half answering to nobody but the swell, tide; and Mrs Greenbaum’s bunions

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I did that for years in Santa Cruz. Worked on Swift Street, and surfed the west side alone or with just a few regulars who WFH back in the early 00s.

I like my job, but grow tired of the sales hustle these days, probably one reason being it's a different world than it was three years ago.

I am looking forward to retirement.
Surf is fickle but I was able to be on-it, and time the wind/tide whenever there was a hint of a rideable swell. Once I see the palm trees from my office window blowing in a favorable direction, step out and feel the air, I slip out quietly.

Some days it can get exhausting because I felt like I "had" to go, given that I was so close, and would have regretted it had I passed up the opportunity. Then I just stay an hour or 2 later to make up the work.

During a really good all-day swell, I was able to go pre-work, lunch, and post-work. I always felt recharged and my mind was at a good state. The only thing that sucked is inability to take showers to wash the seawater, and get cleaned up properly. All my work clothes were loose, wrinkle free type, easy to change in-out and comfortable.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

For what its worth I've closed a lot of sales without my clients knowing I was vacationing during my stays in Puerto Rico. Its an hour ahead so you can get in a full morning session, eat breakfast and be making calls by 10:00 Eastern Time. Phone and internet service is good down there.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Better than working when and if one chooses, is not having to work at all.

You get bored? There's plenty of stuff to do. And if you WANT to work, you can pick and choose, cause you don't have to.

:shameonyou:

Reactions: Random Guy

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
For what its worth I've closed a lot of sales without my clients knowing I was vacationing during my stays in Puerto Rico. Its an hour ahead so you can get in a full morning session, eat breakfast and be making calls by 10:00 Eastern Time. Phone and internet service is good down there.
I’ve closed (often several) 6 figure deals on virtually every every surf trip I’ve taken in 15 years. Still gotta work hard to make that luck spring into action

my bosses call it my beach business. I’ve always paid for the trip within one or two contracts that come in whilst on said trip. YOLO

I even send clients thank you emails with photos like this attached and say something horrifically corny like “thanks for making a magical trip with my wife and mother even more magical” and I tell you they light right up with joy IMG_7227.jpeg