Woman shoots dog.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Why is killing a wild dog bad but killing a wolf is ok?
wolves are badass and beautiful and i won't shoot one until i'm in a position where i need to protect my livestock on my land

although i don't understand people who go out hunting wolves on public land for sport i would pay money to watch them give it a go armed with only a knife

1664382810481.png

1664382885739.png

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Much easier (and tastier?) to go after feral pigs in California than wolf hunting for sport elsewhere.

Went feral pig hunting in Sonoma County some time back.

It was lots of hiking, lots of sweating, lots of ticks, lots of evidence of feral pigs, and lots of talk over beers later how f-ing tired we were with no feral pigs to show for it.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I agree about habitat preservation. I'm critical of people unqualified to identify animals and shoot them (including myself in Montana), and (some) ranchers/ranching practices, not hunting in general.

There is a quota bear hunt in Florida. I am not really sure about the Black Bear population and how many years it winds up happening. I think some people think bears are fuzzy and cute and some people think they're killing machines and some people are in between. I'm not sure how sorry I feel for rural poachers baiting deer or careless tools with trash-strewn property having the occasional bear.

Eight bear encounters since 2016 requiring medical attention isn't grounds for a bear holocaust. Probably grounds for people not being morons in the woods though.
the difference between bears and wolf is people will eat the bear (it tastes great). Most do not eat wolf meat. So bear hunting is not as one tracked as wolf hunting is.

seasons, bags and tags are all thought out and implemented very carefully based on real data compiled by biologists, hunters, hikers, game wardens and happenstance reports. There’s no bear holocaust happening and if there was a chance they’d be over hunted it would get shut down for that reason alone.

All these predators will have a huge impact on prey species if they are left unchecked and populations outgrow what they can handle. In turn that will effect the entire ecosystem they are attributed too (holla at my boy Aldo Leopald). We saw this as a net benefit with wolves in the Yellowstone; a popular documentation of how predators help the overall ecosystem when reintroduced but more often we’re trying to manage predator populations to help prey species rebound.

Reactions: Boneroni

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
wolves in the Yellowstone
that's such an interesting situation

i hope scientists get the opportunity to study similar in Rocky Mountain National Park

seems like it might happen before long as we've passed legislation to protect the wolves here in CO and there are reports that they've begun to come south from WY

i've spent hundreds of days/nights in the back-country of CA, CO, and AK and still never seen a wolf

would like to change that before i die

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Much easier and tastier? to go after feral pigs
i imagine pigs (the shooter included) taste better than wolves. but having never eaten wolf (and hope to never need to) cant say for certain.

fwiw sows and piglets are tasty, adult boars not so much.

and rarely will you get a wild pig running at you begging to get dead. dogs on the other hand...

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
that's such an interesting situation

i hope scientists get the opportunity to study similar in Rocky Mountain National Park

seems like it might happen before long as we've passed legislation to protect the wolves here in CO and there are reports that they've begun to come south from WY

i've spent hundreds of days/nights in the back-country of CA, CO, and AK and still never seen a wolf

would like to change that before i die
It’s really incredible the interaction that was documented. Aldo Leopold was one of the first to try to shift conservation from looking at individual species but instead as a system with multiple moving parts within it to be successful. I’d bet he didn’t even experience that model come to fruition before his death.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
so dumb lol

"it came right at me!"

If she didn't get her wolf license she's probably boned (I assume there's a tag for it?)

I shoot as many hogs I can every year. I don't eat them.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I have some video from the thermal scope of my dad blasting some.

I got to use it last year it was wicked. AR 10 with the .308 and a phat suppressor

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i imagine pigs (the shooter included) taste better than wolves. but having never eaten wolf (and hope to never need to) cant say for certain.

fwiw sows and piglets are tasty, adult boars not so much.
They're better in sausage. There's a guy in Petaluma who makes good sausage out of them. https://budscustommeat.com/wild-game-processing

These guys too:

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Around 25 years ago at my fathers somewhat ranch in north county San Diego I was staying there working on his spec house. My father wouldn’t allow my Heeler stay in the house so he slept in my truck and I left the window open so he can jump out in the morning when he wanted.

At that time people would dump their dogs in the country, I guess, so they can be free and not dumped at a shelter. A pack of feral dogs moved into the area about a half dozen, a German Shepard, Aussie, poodles in this pack. They killed the neighbors pig and I saw them around the valley.

I noticed that someone was getting into my dogs kibble on the patio and I assumed my dog was snacking. I scolded him and secured the food. That next day my dog was gone. I thought he took off so I hung out on the patio that night to see if he would come back for food. He didn’t but the feral pack did. Eventually I found him dead in a gully with bite wounds on his belly.

the next day I took my fathers 12 gauge and shot the German Shepard. The Aussie passed right in front of me but I passed on the shot.

I think my dog knew he could not handle the pack and stayed in the truck when they took his food.After I scolded him I guess he thought he needed to do his job and took them on.

Humans suck.