NOC
Any of you gays tint your windshields?

Its pretty clear but supposed to cut 99% uv and heat

If it makes a noticable difference i will pull the trigger

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Windshield? Like what’s in front of you? Isn’t that illegal?
Pretty much all tint is illegal bro. I declined the windshield tint for various reasons but I love the % I got on the sides. Just dark enough so at night you’re like it’s a little hard to see once in a while lol.

And who cares if it’s illegal? Not the tint shops bro.

Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of uv ray blocking plastic film, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what YOU want to do bro. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep tintin‘ bro , T-I-N-T-I-N

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I don’t have windshield tints but have had illegal tints on every car I’ve owned in the last 20+ years. I’ve never been pulled over for them. On one occasion I got pulled over for speeding on my way up to mammoth. Trooper made a comment about them and how he was doing me a favor by pretending he didn’t see them as he handed me a $400 ticket.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I don’t have windshield tints but have had illegal tints on every car I’ve owned in the last 20+ years. I’ve never been pulled over for them. On one occasion I got pulled over for speeding on my way up to mammoth. Trooper made a comment about them and how he was doing me a favor by pretending he didn’t see them as he handed me a $400 ticket.
Cops seem to love me. Not sure if it’s because I’m white and/or a cool mother fucker?

Busted on the 405 for speeding less than a mile from my exit. Figured there’s no need for a dangerous highway stop for Leo so I signaled, exited and ended up with just a fix it ticket for the tint.

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
from a law enforcement stantpoint.... tinting is creepy as fu&*..... never know how many perps are in the car

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Tint the windshield? Maybe not...
The front windshield of your car blocks most of the UVA and UVB radiation coming from the sun, but the driver’s side window may not be pulling its weight. A recent study found that while the front windshield blocks 94 percent of UVA rays, the driver’s side window only blocked 71 percent.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I bought my Chrysler Pacifica minivan new from a dealer in Phoenix. All but the windshield was tinted already. In NY you basically can't tint the driver and passenger door windows past pretty much stock tint. I took that tint off those two windows in my driveway the second day I had the car in December with a heat gun. Don't need no trouble.

But clear tint would probably stop UV - the windshield stops it because it's glass then a layer of plastic in the middle then glass again. It's that transition from glass to plastic that stops it.

May 6, 2008
Orange Curtain CA
Back in the day if we got our side windows tinted it was a fix-it ticket waiting to happen. Now I see cars trucks etc with limo tint on all the side windows and think how do they get away with it?!?!? :shrug:
West

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Fix it tickets for tint in North County SD include a fine, I forget if it was $100 or $125…. Don’t ask me how I know…

Feb 4, 2021
I was just reading through the thread and saw your question about windshield tinting. I haven't personally tinted my windshield, but I've heard from others that it can make a noticeable difference in reducing UV rays and heat. If you're looking for some relief from the sun and heat, it might be worth giving it a try!
I was actually thinking about tinting my windows recently too. While I was browsing online for some solutions, I came across this website called Snap Shades (https://snapshades.com/). They offer in-car sun protection, which caught my attention. They have some cool options for different types of vehicles, so it might be worth checking out if you're considering tinting.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
70% VLT is legal in CA on the front driver & passenger windows now. That said I have 45% all around, but with the back windows already darkened in the glass, an extra 45% film makes them nice and dark, while keeping the fronts looking lighter and borderline legal looking.

Pretty sure any amount of Windshield tint is illegal, however I set a buddy up with my tint guy and he got 70% VLT ceramic on his Mercedes windshield and is happy with it, even at night. I did a 5% (very dark) brow strip across the top of my windshield as a compromise.

I don't think they make films much lighter than 70% VLT (30% darkened).

Last edited: