windfoiling- anyone got a used setup?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
got a used one?
if i bought a board and some kind of rig/setup, could i toss on any foil? not for waves at all....just to put some miles in when it's torn to shreds.
def want to get started on this.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The hand kites? The recommendation I see is a sup foil board to learn with. Big front wing on the foil.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Weird. Here's a link a quick google turned up.

I'd say if you want to stick with it and have the most options, then Axis Foils will be the best bet. They have tons of options.

Neil Pryde Large or XL will be a cheaper but solid new option.

There's always Gong as the cheapest new option. But it seems people outgrow Gong stuff quickly as it's very basic.

The connection to your board will be the one factor to figure out. Most boards have moved to track/plate mounts. You also have tuttle mounts. Most manufacturer's have an adapter so they can fit either mounting system. I've only used track/plate mounts myself.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
got a used one?
if i bought a board and some kind of rig/setup, could i toss on any foil? not for waves at all....just to put some miles in when it's torn to shreds.
def want to get started on this.
Hey 20w,
Its starting to catch on around here, and it really does look fun. Almost all the guys here are on Slingshot rigs.....the stout little boards look good. They are smoking in 12-15kts.

I wouldn’t recommend Slingshot for prone stuff tbh, but they seem to have the Windfoil thing pretty sussed. Most guys are on the 76 wing, 84 for bigger guys/less wind. One upside is they have interchangeable wsurf fuses and various masts So you can slum it prone if you want.

They are cheap

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
way up here on the west coast of Canada, a few of us have been pursuing the sup/surf foil dream. Not much used gear up here and we're all too cheap to buy new, so there's been lots of DIY'ing. For learning, any cheapo mid size sup would work. We started with through hull holes, with golf club shafts glassed in. Now installing fin tracks, basically two longboard boxes in some high density foam. You can also buy a stick on mount or suction cup mount (remora), but they seem way too expensive relative to some epoxy, pour foam, and a couple fin boxes. I started sup foiling on a 9.6, which I found out pretty quick is way more than you need. I now have a 7.6 door sup that works great. I made a 6.0 sup foil barge, which may have crossed into too small. However, for wing foiling, I just installed foot-hook mounts in it, and I think with those it may be an awesome wing foil board, we'll see.

So the answer is yes, most any board will do ... if it catches on, you can invest in something more refined later. Surface sup riding is an ok way to start out too.